RoadBikeReview Member

Hold On To Your Cheech & Kiss Your Chong Goodbye

Formula 3

RoadBikeReview Member
    That was a pretty horrific crash. I'd like to see some footage leading into that corner to see what instigated it.

276kph, backwards. Damn.
    Too old to ride plastic

Seat's not level
    women drivers...
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    That was a pretty horrific crash. I'd like to see some footage leading into that corner to see what instigated it.

276kph, backwards. Damn.
    It's a known horror corner. One of the tightest of all the cicuits.

They actually cut away and we're not telling people what happened when it happened. Very little official footage is available at the time, most of what people are seeing is spectator footage.

Still trying to figure out what happened, but she drives for a team which includes Mercedes AMG as a sponsor, they tend to have quality drivers. Jump over to Jalopnik as they have some details. And probably an update I have not seen yet.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post

276kph, backwards. Damn.
    What I heard was that she collided with someone leading up to the turn, which sheared off the wheels on one side of the car and she couldnít brake, then she struck another car at speed and went airborne.

Thatís a nasty injury. My aunt had that same injury in a wreck at Buttonwillow or Thunderhill, canít remember which. The car was totaled (the reason it now has an 87 body) and she was out for a year and a half. Still has issues from it 20 some years later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    The driver had a 7 hour operation on her spine. As far as has been publicly stated, she is doing okay (for now).

Side note, this accident reminds me of a scene from Freejack (rich people from the future steal people from the past moments before their death, wipe their minds and transfer their minds into the stolen body.. live forever type thing). The main character is a racecar driver who clips another car goes flying into an overhead bridge (body stolen just before impact).

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    The race organizers were careful not to allow any spectators at that corner.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    The race organizers were careful not to allow any spectators at that corner.
    they built a bunker for the photographers and other non essential personnel
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    Side note, this accident reminds me of a scene from Freejack (rich people from the future steal people from the past moments before their death, wipe their minds and transfer their minds into the stolen body.. live forever type thing). The main character is a racecar driver who clips another car goes flying into an overhead bridge (body stolen just before impact).
    I remember that trailer. Never saw it but I should give it a try.

It says, "year 2009".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    they built a bunker for the photographers and other non essential personnel
    They should do that for Rallycross... have you seen some of the close calls.. and some fatalities and injuries... standing that close to a speeding vehicle with no barriers... or hell even solid road is insane.

25yr Houston-Austin MS150
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    I remember that trailer. Never saw it but I should give it a try.
    Prepare for pain. It had Mick Jagger "acting."
    Four wheels good; two wheels better.

usually unusual
    Quote Originally Posted by curtw View Post
    Prepare for pain. It had Mick Jagger "acting."
    Itís actually a pretty good film, overall. Had Anthony Hopkins in it, and Rene Russo.

The real obstacle to it not being better wasnít Jagger, but rather a painfully-miscast Emilio Estevez in the lead role.

That it is at all watchable despite that is a real testament to everybody else who worked in/on that movie.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did Ė peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    They should do that for Rallycross... have you seen some of the close calls.. and some fatalities and injuries... standing that close to a speeding vehicle with no barriers... or hell even solid road is insane.
    Went to a race at Thunderhill with my aunt and uncle a few years ago. He took me over to one corner where he said we'd "see some action". We were behind the tire wall, but then he said, if one comes this way, duck down and it should go over you if it flies over the wall. LOL.

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    Went to a race at Thunderhill with my aunt and uncle a few years ago. He took me over to one corner where he said we'd "see some action". We were behind the tire wall, but then he said, if one comes this way, duck down and it should go over you if it flies over the wall. LOL.

Before many here were born, my Dad took me to see Bobo Brazil. We were close to ringside but I only got sweat on me when he shook my hand, exiting the arena.

Frog Whisperer
    I saw the NBC footage of that crash first thing in the morning and was just totally baffled at WHY she was coming into that corner at 170 mph
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."