How I spent my summer vacation (NC)
    Have a nice day

How I spent my summer vacation (NC)

My kids and I rode Amtrak's Empire Builder to Minnesota and back to visit family. Amtrak is great, I recommend it

Minneapolis sure is nice in summertime. I could almost move back there... though a visit in January would cure me of that silly notion.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Grey Manrod
    How long did you spend on the train?

Looks like fun.

Done with winter.
    The third photo looks like one of your sons is having second thoughts on the matter.

The last photo and b&w of the greenhouse are awesome.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    We always enjoy taking Amtrak up to Philadelphia or New York. Sure is nice to let someone else do the driving plus you get delivered directly to downtown.

Best of all the trains are a lot roomier than planes.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Have a nice day
    Quote Originally Posted by Brick Tamland
    How long did you spend on the train?
    According to the timetable Portland to MPLS is about 36 hours, and MPLS to Portland is 38 hours. We arrived 25 minutes late in Minneapolis, but then we got to Portland 45 minutes *early* so I can't complain about the on-time record.

We slept two nights on the train each way. We didn't get a sleeper because that would have added $500+ to the trip cost, EACH WAY. For that much $$$ I didn't mind toughing it out in coach.

Amtrak coach seats are a brazillion times better than any airline seat, with acres of leg room and a good angle of recline. The coach seats also have pop-up leg rests but we found that many of those were broken.

Also, the trains were FULL. This is apparently a new phenomenon for Amtrak and they didn't seem totally prepared for sold-out trains. Conductors had a hard time managing seat assignments, and the dining car did not have capacity for every passenger at every meal. My advice: Pack your own food and booze.

Blankets too! Amtrak provides pillows but not blankets, and the trains get cool at night.

Have a nice day
    Quote Originally Posted by asterisk
    The third photo looks like one of your sons is having second thoughts on the matter.
    He was just praying for something edible.

They both enjoyed the trip though. After the trip my older son proclaimed, "I'm never flying airlines again!"

And I agree. I hope Amtrak finishes their trans-Atlantic route soon