? How Much Did U Tip... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    I simply disagree, to suggest that a bunch of 20 somethings that have no long term commitment to being a server or a single mom with a second job is somehow morph into the next Norma Rae is just not reality.
    Iím sure a lot of people thought likewise before Norma Rae...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    Never used a sky cap. Seems like airports are increasingly becoming self-service (except TSA, of course), and I just check in my large duffle myself.

Opus was just napping
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Iím sure a lot of people thought likewise before Norma Rae...

Only if you disregard the socio economic differences, the political changes that have happened, the right to work laws, the pervasive anti-union sentiment in today's culture oh and you have to pretend that 21 year old Sally who works three nights a week during the semester and full time over the summer is going to push for some kind of change when she is making enough for beer money.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    How much do you tip?

Depends.

If I am in the United States, where working an honorable job can often be for less then a living wage, or in Europe where such gratuities are paid by employers as part of the human decency perspective.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

What the what???

? How Much Did U Tip...

Only if you disregard the socio economic differences, the political changes that have happened, the right to work laws, the pervasive anti-union sentiment in today's culture oh and you have to pretend that 21 year old Sally who works three nights a week during the semester and full time over the summer is going to push for some kind of change when she is making enough for beer money.
    If Sally doesnít want change, thatís her choice. But to make the excuse that itís somehow impossible in todayís climate is simply incorrect.

Do a Google search for service industry workers on strike. The push for a living minimum wage hasnít gone away.

Hereís an example... from yesterday.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...ual-harassment

ibtm

Last edited by Opus51569; 05-23-2019 at 04:05 AM.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

Opus was just napping
    If Sally doesnít want change, thatís her choice. But to make the excuse that itís somehow impossible in todayís climate is simply incorrect.

Do a Google search for service industry workers on strike. The push for a living minimum wage hasnít gone away.

Hereís an example... from yesterday.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...ual-harassment

McDonald's is not what I am talking about they are not tipped employees--so what you have posted is a red herring.

We will have to agree to disagree on this I guess. I am not happy with the current economic structures of tipping and auto grats, I recognize and appreciate my place in it and don't blame groups largely comprised of college kids, high school graduates, those needing a second job and single mothers for not being at the forefront of change. In short I will continue to tip.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

What the what???
    McDonald's is not what I am talking about they are not tipped employees--so what you have posted is a red herring.

We will have to agree to disagree on this I guess. I am not happy with the current economic structures of tipping and auto grats, I recognize and appreciate my place in it and don't blame groups largely comprised of college kids, high school graduates, those needing a second job and single mothers for not being at the forefront of change. In short I will continue to tip.
    It is absolutely not a red herring. Your previous posts about the lack of union support, Norma Rae, and some inability for workers to strike was the only red herring I saw. I used McDonalds to refute your argument that the current climate isnít conducive to minimum wage workers banding together for better pay and treatment. It is happening even as we speak. If they can do it, so can any service industry group, whether they traditionally receive tips or not.

But you are correct that we can agree to disagree.

hereís a little something for the effort, though.

Opus was just napping
    It is absolutely not a red herring. Your previous posts about the lack of union support, Norma Rae, and some inability for workers to strike was the only red herring I saw. I used McDonalds to refute your argument that the current climate isnít conducive to minimum wage workers banding together for better pay and treatment. It is happening even as we speak. If they can do it, so can any service industry group, whether they traditionally receive tips or not.

You take it, it was much more difficult for you to move the goalposts than for me to point out that a McDonald's employee seeking a living wage is different than some getting a living wage through tips, but wants those tips to stop and have the employer pay them instead.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

All I know is that I can't really change the way things are, but I can help someone out with a tip. I'd bet the hotel maid was appreciative Sunday morning when she found the $20 bill I left on the bathroom counter. I'm sure she'd prefer a raise to an uncertain tip here and there, but I do what I can.

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    All I know is that I can't really change the way things are, but I can help someone out with a tip. I'd bet the hotel maid was appreciative Sunday morning when she found the $20 bill I left on the bathroom counter. I'm sure she'd prefer a raise to an uncertain tip here and there, but I do what I can.
    I appreciate your magnanimity and I'm sure the maid did as well. But as long as this current outdated system continues to limp along enabled by those with the means and the generosity to perpetuate it... it will never change. Why would it?

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Agree to disagree. What the eff does that even mean?

Here's a tip: Just say disagree. Save time by omitting useless words that add nothing.

Agree? Disagree? Pick one.

What the what???

? How Much Did U Tip...

Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post

Here's a tip: Just say disagree. Save time by omitting useless words that add nothing.

That was a lot of redundancy for someone concerned about excess verbiage.

I canít speak for tmb, but for me Ďagree to disagreeí means we disagree but part on polite terms. I respect his position and his ability to argue it even if I donít agree with it. Itís the lownje, after all, not P.O.

Schuylkill Trail Bum

I canít speak for tmb, but for me Ďagree to disagreeí means we disagree but part on polite terms. I respect his position and his ability to argue it even if I donít agree with it. Itís the lownje, after all, not P.O.
    I disagree.

Or should I say ...it's not unlike I don't disagree.

What the what???

? How Much Did U Tip...

I disagree.

Or should I say ...it's not unlike I don't disagree.
    See? Now youíre getting it!

Last edited by Opus51569; 05-23-2019 at 05:05 PM.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    See? Now youíre getting it!

Let's just agree to agree or disagree to disagree, whichever you prefer.

Opus was just napping

Opus was just napping

Exactly this could have gone really sideways in PO!!! But hell there we are like always agreeing so this was more fun in a way.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I appreciate your magnanimity and I'm sure the maid did as well. But as long as this current outdated system continues to limp along enabled by those with the means and the generosity to perpetuate it... it will never change. Why would it?
    So I should quit tipping which would lead to a social revolution , topple over 'the man' and secure higher wages for all? Deep thoughts from Jack Handy.

What the what???

? How Much Did U Tip...

So I should quit tipping which would lead to a social revolution , topple over 'the man' and secure higher wages for all? Deep thoughts from Jack Handy.
    Your choice, Jack.

Last edited by Opus51569; 05-24-2019 at 08:28 AM.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Go ahead and start the revolution. Speaking of tips...

Pro Tips:

1. Don't call your revolution Helter Skelter. That name was already used.

2. Don't go back to the same restaurant or bar after you've revolted there against The Man and His Tipping Economy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Iím in Jersey, the Capital of tipping. We tip at the gas pump. I tip well. Most New Jersians tip well. When my daughter worked in a local ice cream shop she made well over $15.00 and hour with her tips and she wasnít even a server, it was a take out counter job. If someone in my party is ordering off menu or asking for extra whatever and the service is good the tip can easily be 25%.

BTW, rear professional servers in real world class joints make great money. One of my best friends owns a high end place and starts servers at $75K. He stays away from having anything to do with their tips. Full benefits, free legal... They earn it Iíll say. He demands perfection. Every diner experience has to be a perfect memory. He uses a family farm for a lot of his produce and some poultry, etc, and they are brought in often for free tasters menus to see how the products are used to make that connection.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    Iím in Jersey, the Capital of tipping. We tip at the gas pump. I tip well. Most New Jersians tip well. When my daughter worked in a local ice cream shop she made well over $15.00 and hour with her tips and she wasnít even a server, it was a take out counter job. If someone in my party is ordering off menu or asking for extra whatever and the service is good the tip can easily be 25%.

BTW, rear professional servers in real world class joints make great money. One of my best friends owns a high end place and starts servers at $75K. He stays away from having anything to do with their tips. Full benefits, free legal... They earn it Iíll say. He demands perfection. Every diner experience has to be a perfect memory. He uses a family farm for a lot of his produce and some poultry, etc, and they are brought in often for free tasters menus to see how the products are used to make that connection.
    Same over here in the philly metro region. My high school son makes average $20 - $30 per hour in tips alone as a busboy at a local pub. He gets 10% of the servers, bartenders, busboys, and cooks total tips for each 5-hour shift he works.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Same over here in the philly metro region. My high school son makes average $20 - $30 per hour in tips alone as a busboy at a local pub. He gets 10% of the servers, bartenders, busboys, and cooks total tips for each 5-hour shift he works.
    Yep, my friends restaurant is in Berwin.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

Banned forever.....or not
    Four checked bags.....$5. If I throw my carry on's on top, $7.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    A couple of bucks per bag, usually just skis. $20 per item sounds insane.
    You're right, that's absolutely absurd.

I use curbside skycap bag check all the time, it's literally the best lux bang for your buck. For <$10 you stroll into the terminal bag free straight up to the gate.

I recently read an etiquette article in the New Yorker (or New York Magazine) and they said a few bucks per bag $<5. I usually trip $10 for three or $5.

Think about it those $5's add up quick....$10, $30, $50, $100, $120 = 24 bags....quarter thousand dollars for fifty bags...not unheard of.
    $4K per month?

It's a few dollars.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12