? How Much Did U Tip...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Akirasho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,433

    ? How Much Did U Tip...

    .. your last Skycap? Just curious. I've been able to get by with carry on for the past 25 years.

  2. #2
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation: rideit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    982
    Have never used one.

  3. #3
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Reputation: SPlKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,388
    The times I had to use them... checking in a bunch of anvil cases when I was taking my "show" on the road... back in the 90s... at least $10 per item checked.

    Today, I'd give em $20 per item checked.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Christine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15,410
    A couple of bucks per bag, usually just skis. $20 per item sounds insane.

  5. #5
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Reputation: SPlKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    A couple of bucks per bag, usually just skis. $20 per item sounds insane.
    The anvil cases I was checking were cumbersome. And I absolutely positively needed to make sure they got on the plane I was on... or my "road show" was kaput.

    Nice tips (and a smile and some banter too) for the people who do some of the hardest grunt work at an airport go a long way to ensure the best service.

    I always figured... how would I like to stand outside on the sidewalk, in all kinds of weather, breathing exhaust fumes all day long, having people throw heavy bags at you and making demands about how you should handle the bags, and blah blah blah... etc, etc.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BCSaltchucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,049
    I have no idea what a 'skycap' is and have never heard of this idea of tipping for anything related to flying, airlines etc.

    I object to the whole idea of tipping .. it is just an excuse for employers to underpay their staff in unskilled jobs. I begrudingly go along with it in North America but it is a negotiation which needs to change to the european and asian model asap. Especially in europe where a tip actually is a 'tip' and not part of the worker's normal wages, and is typically 5-10%, or is included as part of the bill as a set price item.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    859
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    I object to the whole idea of tipping .. it is just an excuse for employers to underpay their staff in unskilled jobs. I begrudingly go along with it in North America but it is a negotiation which needs to change to the european and asian model asap. Especially in europe where a tip actually is a 'tip' and not part of the worker's normal wages, and is typically 5-10%, or is included as part of the bill as a set price item.
    I disagree, at least from my European experiences. If you need something, it can take half an hour before you see your waiter again. They have no incentive to to be Johnny-on-the-Spot for you, and it shows. It all goes along with the Euro dining experience, which can easily run over two hours.

    So they're probably earning near the bottom of the wage scale over there and can get 5-10% extra? That's not much incentive.

  8. #8
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Reputation: SPlKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,388
    Here's the thing... whether you agree with tipping, or whether it is or is not the custom in your country, or whether you are committed to the notion that employers should pay more to cover for people and therefore your not tipping is the correct action...

    ... I guarantee that if you give a guy who works his ass off getting your bags on the correct flight... a couple of twenties, he'll be really happy with the extra cash and he'll go out of his way to make sure your bags are A) on your airplane and B) if possible, that your bags will come out first at your destination.

    This is my experience.

    And hey, why not give some person who is working hard for low wages something to be happy about? Is your $20 bill or your $10 that dear to you? Are you so uptight about the whole tipping thing, for whatever reason that you're anti-tipping... that you can't share your wealth here and there with somebody whose day your tip would brighten?

  9. #9
    What the what???
    Reputation: Opus51569's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,159

    ? How Much Did U Tip...

    Iím not that frequent a traveler and my suitcase has wheels so Iíve also never used a skycap.

    I will say our local grocery delivery has just announced theyíre changing to a subscription service. Now weíll have to pay $100/year or $10/trip. Delivery used to be free if you bought more than $100 worth of groceries. The result for me will be Iíll probably stop tipping the individual drivers.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Opus51569; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:02 AM.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Oxtox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    10,431
    typically just have a single carry-on item, but when I've used a skycap, it was usually for LARGE, HEAVY duffel bags full of dive equipment. figured it was reasonable to tip $10 for lugging each of those...

    at full-service restaurants, tipping is usually 20% but goes up or down depending on the quality of service. was at a nice place recently having a martini, when it was half-consumed, the waitress took my drink back to the bar and returned it in a freshly-chilled glass. bam, she got a 30% tip for that...

    otoh, it peeves me greatly when you're at a casual joint (you place your order at the counter, fill your own drinks, grab utensils and napkins, and are expected to bus your table) and when you swipe your credit card it offers suggested tips STARTING at 20%...really?
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

  11. #11
    Opus was just napping
    Reputation: thatsmybush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    19,333
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Iím not that frequent a traveler and my suitcase has wheels so Iíve also never used a skycap.

    I will say our local grocery delivery has just announced theyíre changing to a subscription service. Now weíll have to pay $100/year or $10/trip. Delivery used to be free if you bought more than $100 worth of groceries. The result for me will be Iíll probably stop tipping the individual drivers.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Is is because you think the driver is going to be pocketing that extra money from yearly fees--because I don't think that is where that money is going. Essentially you are saying, they raised the rates so the guy making the least suffers the most by losing tips.

    As for the skycap question we just used them on our trip this past weekend, 2 bags 5 bucks for curbside check in.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

  12. #12
    pmf
    pmf is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,152
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    I have no idea what a 'skycap' is and have never heard of this idea of tipping for anything related to flying, airlines etc.

    I object to the whole idea of tipping .. it is just an excuse for employers to underpay their staff in unskilled jobs. I begrudingly go along with it in North America but it is a negotiation which needs to change to the european and asian model asap. Especially in europe where a tip actually is a 'tip' and not part of the worker's normal wages, and is typically 5-10%, or is included as part of the bill as a set price item.
    Ever enjoyed the service in a European restaurant? You're tipping them in the check, but they don't have to make any effort to earn it. And more often than not, they don't. Incentives work, hand outs don't. I always tip for a personal service. I even leave money in hotel rooms for the cleaning staff. But if you're my waiter at a restaurant and do a crappy job, the tip I leave will reflect that.

  13. #13
    What the what???
    Reputation: Opus51569's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,159
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    Is is because you think the driver is going to be pocketing that extra money from yearly fees--because I don't think that is where that money is going. Essentially you are saying, they raised the rates so the guy making the least suffers the most by losing tips.

    As for the skycap question we just used them on our trip this past weekend, 2 bags 5 bucks for curbside check in.
    First off, just so we're clear, the guy making the least in this transaction is me. I'm the only one paying.

    Otherwise, yes, if the store is now charging me for the delivery... the driver can collect my money from the store. I've paid for the delivery once, I won't pay for it a second time.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

  14. #14
    Opus was just napping
    Reputation: thatsmybush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    19,333
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    First off, just so we're clear, the guy making the least in this transaction is me. I'm the only one paying.

    Otherwise, yes, if the store is now charging me for the delivery... the driver can collect my money from the store. I've paid for the delivery once, I won't pay for it a second time.
    For me I would just go to the store and buy my own groceries rather than stiffing a driver. Just like I would never go out to a restaurant if I couldn't afford both a nice dinner and a nice tip for good service, but that is just me.

    This is the lounge so I won't go down the reality of "having a driver collect money from the store" as if the delivery driver had that kind of power.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

  15. #15
    What the what???
    Reputation: Opus51569's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,159

    ? How Much Did U Tip...

    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    For me I would just go to the store and buy my own groceries rather than stiffing a driver. Just like I would never go out to a restaurant if I couldn't afford both a nice dinner and a nice tip for good service, but that is just me.

    This is the lounge so I won't go down the reality of "having a driver collect money from the store" as if the delivery driver had that kind of power.
    If everybody goes to the store, that driver no longer has a job that pays anything... now thatís stiffing the driver.

    When you go to that restaurant and they automatically add in the gratuity, do you tip on top of that? I assume you always tip the mail carrier for packages youíve received even after youíve paid for shipping as well.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BCSaltchucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,049
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Ever enjoyed the service in a European restaurant? You're tipping them in the check, but they don't have to make any effort to earn it. And more often than not, they don't. Incentives work, hand outs don't. I always tip for a personal service. I even leave money in hotel rooms for the cleaning staff. But if you're my waiter at a restaurant and do a crappy job, the tip I leave will reflect that.
    this would only make logical sense if you carry it to every other job. do you tip your mid level automobile engineer for fixing that robot problem while spot welding your car? Do you tip your dentist if he finishes the root canal in half the time expected? Do you tip guy pulling weeds on the boulevard for the city because he does a better job than you expect?

    It's not different in restaurants. They are a business that competes in the open market for you business and will ensure better service if enough patrons votes with their feet, or with reviews online. The much greater problem is allowing restaurants to underpay their service staff in the first place .. as a direct result of the poisoned idea known as tipping in the USA/Canada. And FYI, the tipping systems are infected with all manner of criminality .. from waiters who fail to declare their tips on taxes, to employers who simply grab the entire day's tips and pockets it entirely leaving none for staff, and then all the unfairness of how tips are shared among staff and employers .. it is a messy ugly poisoned system.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

  17. #17
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    40,202
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    If everybody goes to the store, that driver no longer has a job that pays anything... now thatís stiffing the driver.

    When you go to that restaurant and they automatically add in the gratuity, do you tip on top of that? I assume you always tip the mail carrier for packages youíve received even after youíve paid for shipping as well.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Actually, I have been told that federal employees are not allowed to accept tips, but I know for a fact that they do.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

    "There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

    "that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

  18. #18
    Opus was just napping
    Reputation: thatsmybush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    19,333
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    If everybody goes to the store, that driver no longer has a job that pays anything... now thatís stiffing the driver.

    When you go to that restaurant and they automatically add in the gratuity, do you tip on top of that? I assume you always tip the mail carrier for packages youíve received even after youíve paid for shipping as well.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Interesting you bring the auto gratuity, spent last weekend in SOBE the home of the auto gratuity. The answer is yes sometimes we did--we had a great bartender at The Clevelander and since I know that some restaurants use the "service charge" as a kick back to themselves we do it often. Mrs. TMB and I grew up in the service industry, so you are probably discussing this with the wrong guy.

    https://www.miaminewtimes.com/restau...harges-8890491
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

  19. #19
    What the what???
    Reputation: Opus51569's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,159

    ? How Much Did U Tip...

    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    Interesting you bring the auto gratuity, spent last weekend in SOBE the home of the auto gratuity. The answer is yes sometimes we did--we had a great bartender at The Clevelander and since I know that some restaurants use the "service charge" as a kick back to themselves we do it often. Mrs. TMB and I grew up in the service industry, so you are probably discussing this with the wrong guy.

    https://www.miaminewtimes.com/restau...harges-8890491
    Iím glad you have the means and the desire to be that generous. For me, it would take some truly extraordinary service to make me consider paying for it twice. As others have noted, I think the system itself has problems and should either be standardized or abandoned.

    I realize you think itís unfair to put the onus on the workers to demand such change, and maybe it is, but itís going to have to come from them. They are the ones caught in the middle between seller and buyer, management and consumer. But that position also has a lot of power if there is enough of a desire to effect change.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

  20. #20
    What the what???
    Reputation: Opus51569's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,159

    ? How Much Did U Tip...

    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    Actually, I have been told that federal employees are not allowed to accept tips, but I know for a fact that they do.



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Akirasho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,433
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Tip this guy.


  22. #22
    Opus was just napping
    Reputation: thatsmybush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    19,333
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    But that position also has a lot of power if there is enough of a desire to effect change.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Not really, except for a few professional servers most are there for the season, through college or working there because it is the best way for someone without a degree to earn a living (thanks reservoir dogs)--so mostly you have group of ever changing workers mixed with people that just need a job to meet the minimums--that isn't a recipe for change.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

  23. #23
    What the what???
    Reputation: Opus51569's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    10,159
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    Not really, except for a few professional servers most are there for the season, through college or working there because it is the best way for someone without a degree to earn a living (thanks reservoir dogs)--so mostly you have group of ever changing workers mixed with people that just need a job to meet the minimums--that isn't a recipe for change.
    Sure it is...especially in a job market flirting with full employment.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,238
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    I have no idea what a 'skycap' is and have never heard of this idea of tipping for anything related to flying, airlines etc.

    I object to the whole idea of tipping .. it is just an excuse for employers to underpay their staff in unskilled jobs. I begrudingly go along with it in North America but it is a negotiation which needs to change to the european and asian model asap. Especially in europe where a tip actually is a 'tip' and not part of the worker's normal wages, and is typically 5-10%, or is included as part of the bill as a set price item.
    No need to feel sorry for Skycaps as "underpaid". From a CNN article: "A good skycap at a busy airport can make between $75,000 and $100,000 a year, and most of that money comes in tips" Pretty good for a job that requires little training or skill. Note that is restaurant didn't "underpay" waiters you would simply be paying that in your bill. At least with a tip I can base their pay on their service

  25. #25
    Opus was just napping
    Reputation: thatsmybush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    19,333
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Sure it is...especially in a job market flirting with full employment.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I simply disagree, to suggest that a bunch of 20 somethings that have no long term commitment to being a server or a single mom with a second job is somehow morph into the next Norma Rae is just not reality.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Poll: Does your LBS have a tip jar? Do you tip?
    By SBH1973 in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 12-11-2014, 07:01 AM
  2. Replies: 40
    Last Post: 03-10-2012, 11:29 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-29-2012, 05:46 PM
  4. Who Did You Really Tip Over the Holidays?
    By lampshade in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-08-2011, 07:55 PM
  5. Passengers Tip Boat Trying to See Nudists
    By Live Steam in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-03-2004, 09:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.