How Much Do You Tip Follow Up ?
    RoadBikeReview Member

How Much Do You Tip Follow Up ?

Personally, I believe that most economic systems currently in use are severely flawed (cannot be left alone less they cause catastrophic social failures) and somehow slip past many who believe they have the moral high ground). I believe that a huge lurking component of said is a form of slavery and that there is an almost 100% chance that future wars (not trying to be political on our current state of affairs) will be fought mostly for economic reasons rather than territory... that said, I saw an interesting program on a study done in Australia (sorry, no links) about the security of high end jobs (Doctors, Lawyers, Financial Investors) moving forward.

The study showed that these vaunted jobs have become extremely vulnerable to ALGORITHMS!

In the case of all of these examples, given an initial data set, a computer was faster and more accurate in output.

Diagnosis by a Doctor was at least supplanted.

Research needed by a schlitzload of paralegals was rendered inert.

Financial strategies occurred before a human finger could see the deal and push enter.

We used to think that only manual labor was at risk, but it seems as though mini AI might have a lot of us rethinking our career choices.

People don't want to think about SUSTAINABLE economics because it will require a radical adjustment of how we think about the subject and it's social changes (if we think about it, we might more easily pass this way as opposed to fighting to reinstall the old after it fails).

What say yea? How secure is your job considering how fast applications are now being developed?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Looking forward ... ALL jobs are up for replacement by robots and A.I.

There isn't a safe field, even the programmers themselves can, and will be replaced in the future.

Teaching is being done online already and would save tax payers huge amounts of money by moving online ... no more school buildings, janitors, administrators, maintenance, proper could be sold and developed, etc.

Unemployment is low currently, but looking forward a few years and the affects of robots and A.I. could be absolutely devastating on the economy and working classes. Jobs will start to disappear, with no replacements in sight.

The only question is when?

Most say true A.I. won't be developed until 2035 at the earliest and more likely 2050. Some say earlier.

Quantum computers are in a similar development stage ... and will be needed for true A.I.

For now, there will be a slow loss of jobs, starting with basic service industries like fast food ... already seeing Kiosks replacing checkers, same in grocery stores. Brick and mortar stores are closing in favor of online shopping. Self driving vehicles are appearing, though a ways off for full autonomy, but will replace millions of jobs.

There isn't a sustainable employment field out there currently ... I work in mental health and can see that easily replaced by computers and programs.

The world is in for some massive changes in the next 15-20 years, and I don't think we are even remotely prepared for them currently.

In reality, I'm not sure there is any real way to prepare for them in general ... how do you support 50, 60, 70+ million people that no longer have jobs due to automation and A.I.? No tax dollars coming in, they have no money to spend, lose their housing and have no opportunities to be retrained since other fields are disappearing as well.
    Snakebit: "How many times do I have to tell you that I don't have a source? I don't make a note of everything I see or hear on the internet and you don't have to take my word for it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just speculating here, but I think it would then come down to how well we can efficiently use the planet's limited resources. We can begin by offering an annual stipend for those whom agree to have vasectomy/tubes tied, and raise the income taxes on those whom choose to make babies. No nation on earth would fail to be better off with fewer people I think. Bonus is, for every child not born as result saves the globe approximately 6 human lifetimes worth of resources and environmental impact (according to a quote I heard somewhere). Ultimately with few people and maximized efficiency, we can carry forward the curve towards a much shorter work week, and much shorter working life.

Wife and I are doing our part. I work 2 days/wk, she works 4. No kids. Cars driven maybe 8,000 miles/yr between us. If we both get knocked off on a bike ride by a drunk, then my niece and nephew get to retire aged 22, lol. so there's two that you don't need to employ.
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 05-21-2019 at 02:39 PM.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

Frog Whisperer
    As a business owner, I have a working knowledge of the the tax codes and employers are required to report tips, technically, on the 941's.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    As a business owner, I have a working knowledge of the the tax codes and employers are required to report tips, technically, on the 941's.
    I'm fairly certain that current AI will easily replace a frog whisperer... as soon as they figure out why anyone would whisper to a frog.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    I'm fairly certain that current AI will easily replace a frog whisperer... as soon as they figure out why anyone would whisper to a frog.
    AI my a$$, I am still search for REAL intelligence in the world!

Actually, I will be retiring within the next few months and intend to spend a lot of time whispering to frogs as they are as close to real intelelegence as I have come, current company excluded, of course.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    AI my a$$, I am still search for REAL intelligence in the world!
    When we develop true A.I. ... you will finally see REAL intelligence in thew world
    Snakebit: "How many times do I have to tell you that I don't have a source? I don't make a note of everything I see or hear on the internet and you don't have to take my word for it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Who needs delivery drivers?

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Yeah, I'm retired now but I do believe my occupation will never be supplanted by a machine. As a lot of you probably know, I read literary material for a living at a motion picture studio and told the higher-ups if a piece was worth buying & putting up on the screen. If the company already owned the material I would edit it, giving suggestions on how it might be improved on an artistic/ marketable level (choose one/choose both!). In any event, machines still have a way to go before they'll be able to truly peer into the human brain and understand why something might be appealing. Art vs. Science. Machines don't yet go to movie theaters, either.
    Last edited by Mapei; 05-22-2019 at 02:35 PM.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You do realize they have early stage A.I. programs writing books now?

As A.I. develops and becomes more advanced, one will be unable to tell the difference between a human and a computer when having discussions, writing books, etc.

To an extent people already can't tell the difference as the "Turing Test" has shown a computers ability to fool people into believe it's human, thus confirming basic A.I. already. As it advances one will not be able to tell any difference between the two.

As I stated before, there are no jobs that are not vulnerable and that will not be on the chopping block in the future. The only question is when does each job get phased out by robots or A.I. ... could be as early as another year or two, or 30 years ... but ALL jobs are up for replacement.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    Machines don't yet go to movie theaters, either.
    Yesser, computers and/or AI have yet to touch photo or video media...

Don't underestimate what a supercomputer can do with data (every single frame of media ever shot) and the proper program (current tech is being used to scan many works of art & significant structures (Notre Dame) at unprecedented detail). AI resides in labs rather than news reports and can be mission specific (a friend of mine has helped design defense targeting systems for Air Force that surpass that seen in that Eastwood film "Firefox" by uber leaps (99.9% accuracy)).

SKYNET!!!!!!!