How much longer can we quarantine without problems? - Page 18
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 161718
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    You are entitled to your own opinion.
    I think that his opinion is that his opinion is Fact.

But this is only my opinion, based on, well, stuff I read here.
    Too old to ride plastic

gazing from the shadows
    ...following up on a forum poster's grammar.
    And your focus on grammar is just adorable. You should be very, very proud of your contributions, yes you should, yes you should!
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Sweden unlikely to feel economic benefit of no-lockdown approach

Analysts forecast that growth will contract at a similar rate to rest of Europe
    https://www.ft.com/content/93105160-...8-a7b262cd4b6e

Sweden, with a population of 10m, has had 3,220 deaths so far from coronavirus — more than triple the number in neighbouring Denmark, Finland and Norway, which have a combined population of 15m. Relative to population 311 people have died per million in Sweden, while in neighbouring Norway the toll so far is 40 per million.*
    Sweden is unlikely in the long term to escape the severe economic pain of the rest of Europe. The European Commission forecasts that Sweden’s GDP will fall by 6.1 per cent this year.

The Riksbank, the country’s central bank, has an even gloomier outlook, estimating that GDP will contract by 7-10 per cent, with unemployment peaking at between 9 and 10.4 per cent. These are disastrous figures for the Scandinavian country.
    In the end, we think Sweden will end up more or less the same,” said Christina Nyman, a former deputy head of monetary policy at the Riksbank who is now chief economist at lender Handelsbanken.
    "I would like you to do us a favor"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I wonder why you only quoted those 4 but not the last couple of paragraphs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Agenda comes to mind.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Wonder why you ignored the multiple quotes from experts, facts, and statistics and focus on a quote from a record shop owner?

Italy has a the oldest population in Europe. They have a higher rate of obesity, smoking, and a lower rate of working from home and multi generational dwellings. A reasonable person, without an agenda, would compare countries that are similar culturally and genetically. Sweden fails badly when that is done.

Sweden, with a population of 10m, has had 3,220 deaths so far from coronavirus — more than triple the number in neighbouring Denmark, Finland and Norway, which have a combined population of 15m. Relative to population 311 people have died per million in Sweden, while in neighbouring Norway the toll so far is 40 per million.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Agenda comes to mind.
    My agenda is facts. Do you think Record store owners are the best sources for facts about pandemic mitigation strategy?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    They still have record stores? ... i thought those were non-essential!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    They still have record stores? ... i thought those were non-essential!
    Yes, they still have record stores in Sweden but they only stock ABBA records

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Yes, they still have record stores in Sweden but they only stock ABBA records
    That's why every year, my New Years resolution is: Never shop for records in Swedish record stores.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    That's why every year, my New Years resolution is: Never shop for records in Swedish record stores.
    I have never shopped in a record store in Sweden, but this is truly a New Years resolution worth making and keeping.
    Too old to ride plastic

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I have never shopped in a record store in Sweden, but this is truly a New Years resolution worth making and keeping.
    When it comes to resolutions, I go for the low hanging fruit.

Thus far, I have a 100% success rate for keeping resolutions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, Yeah.

Why make a resolution that is for sure gonna fail? I mean anyone can make a resolution to quit smoking, and then go and buy a carton of cigarettes on the morning of the 3rd.
    Too old to ride plastic

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Well, Yeah.

Why make a resolution that is for sure gonna fail? I mean anyone can make a resolution to quit smoking, and then go and buy a carton of cigarettes on the morning of the 3rd.
    That's why my motto is: NO REGERTS

RoadBikeReview Member
    Relax --- there is only a 20% chance a vaccine can not be developed within the next decade and perhaps only 4 million Americans will have to die alone before a herd immunity is developed.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Relax --- there is only a 20% chance a vaccine can not be developed within the next decade and perhaps only 4 million Americans will have to die alone before a herd immunity is developed.

Virus? What virus? There's no virus here.

Infection rates were climbing at Nebraska meatpacking plants. Then health officials stopped reporting the numbers.

More than a thousand have been infected at meatpacking plants, but state officials won’t say which ones. The silence has left workers, their families and the public blind to the severity of the crisis at each plant.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

gazing from the shadows
    This is some good news, but with a very small sample size let's call it potentially good news. News that might explain why many people are mildly or asymptomatic:

The teams also asked whether people who haven’t been infected with SARS-CoV-2 also produce cells that combat it. Thiel and colleagues analyzed blood from 68 uninfected people and found that 34% hosted helper T cells that recognized SARS-CoV-2. The La Jolla team detected this crossreactivity in about half of stored blood samples collected between 2015 and 2018, well before the current pandemic began. The researchers think these cells were likely triggered by past infection with one of the four human coronaviruses that cause colds; proteins in these viruses resemble those of SARS-CoV-2.
    https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...-term-immunity

Something to keep an eye on, hopefully some vampires, I mean researchers, have lots more old samples to test.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    This is some good news, but with a very small sample size let's call it potentially good news. News that might explain why many people are mildly or asymptomatic:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...-term-immunity

Something to keep an eye on, hopefully some vampires, I mean researchers, have lots more old samples to test.
    so the cure for COVID is the common cold?

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    so the cure for COVID is the common cold?
    That would be nice.

The "cure" is the immune system response, which seems to be prepared to respond by SOME common cold strains, or at least in some people, but maybe not in others. Further research is needed blah blah blah.

It might also mean that any mutations of Covid19 have less chance of being worse compared to this one (which is really more than one, btw.) So we got that going for us.

This does not help develop a cure in any way I can see since current efforts are already following the path it suggests. But it interesting to think that the cure for the common cold that everyone would have hailed in 1970 might have lead to millions of more people with symptoms and dying today.

I like to think a story could be written in such an alternate timeline, where someone remembers they have the old blood samples and tests them for a response, and saves billions of lives by finding "the cure". Especially because I have a feeling that's what produced this study. "Hey, don't we have a few blood samples we haven't used for other studies? I wonder if..."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    .... so we don't know, the simple answer.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Sweden in deep economic crisis as per capita deaths rise

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/...-soft-lockdown

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Evidently this Cov19 thing is not good for bicyclists. Read the last sentance of this....

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...e-spiked-by-14
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Evidently this Cov19 thing is not good for bicyclists. Read the last sentance of this....
    "In 2018, the number of both pedestrian and cyclist deaths shattered decades-long records."

Pre COVID-19.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    Pre COVID-19.
    But the second to the last paragraph, "The new nationwide data comes as some regional officials have reported that during the pandemic people have been driving more recklessly and there have been local upticks in car crashes."

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 161718