How is this NFL draft thing "a thing"?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

How is this NFL draft thing "a thing"?

I would've thought the only audience would be those being drafted, their families, and team reps, but not only do fans show up but it's on live TV, what am I missing here?
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    beats me.

don't watch the games, so don't GAS about who plays in them.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

Proud luddite
    Not sure where it came from but my son absolutely loves watching the NFL draft. He watches the second day too...many rounds and hours long. Not my thing but he really enjoys it...and thats ok with me. 🙂

xxl
    I think some folks just are more into a sport than others.

I watch football, as do a number of my friends, and some of them (not me) find the non-field action and discussion thereof as compelling as the actual games, possibly because they're willing to make connections between the non-field stuff and subsequent games. These fans appear to be the sort that'll do fantasy sports leagues and such.

Whatever floats one's boat.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

"Oh my god. This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. Im fd.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I was pissed that it pre-empted Jeopardy. I'm looking forward to whoever takes down that Holzhauer guy. I find him to be annoying. He's no Ken Jennings, that's for sure.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    There are marketers in this world looking for ways to monetize watching paint dry. It's not new, just sillier (a college athlete about to make more money with a pen than 4 generation's lifetimes for most of our families... mmmmmmm, good times).

Lest we forget that the debate on these same athletes sharing a bigger part of the NCAA/University pie before the draft is also in play. MONEY!

Remember when qualifying at Indy was mostly a local event with a couple minute's coverage on a network sportscast?

Sherwin-Williams or Valspar?

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    I would've thought the only audience would be those being drafted, their families, and team reps, but not only do fans show up but it's on live TV, what am I missing here?
    In the USA, the only athletic activities paid any attention by broadcasters are NFL/NCAA football, NBA/NCAA basketball, and on some networks baseball. You'll note that of those sports 2/3 are 100% finished until late August or early September. So there's "no" sports to broadcast.** So anything tangentially football/basketball related is HUGE.

**Of course those are supremely facetious "finger quotes", but US broadcasters are stuck because they only monetize sports where 30 seconds of actual sports activity can be followed by 5 minutes of commercials., and another 5 minutes of commentary with embedded advertisements.

Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    There are marketers in this world looking for ways to monetize watching paint dry. It's not new, just sillier (a college athlete about to make more money with a pen than 4 generation's lifetimes for most of our families... mmmmmmm, good times).

Lest we forget that the debate on these same athletes sharing a bigger part of the NCAA/University pie before the draft is also in play. MONEY!

Remember when qualifying at Indy was mostly a local event with a couple minute's coverage on a network sportscast?

Sherwin-Williams or Valspar?
    It should be noted that most of those kids....will have a "career" in professional sport that doesn't even need one hand's worth of fingers counting years. Also most will end up bankrupt. And all will end up with broken bodies/brains out of it.

Sure they make a ton of money....but very briefly, and what they do make...even if they didn't spend a dime of it won't cover out-of-pocket medical costs as they age due to sports injuries. For reference, a week in an ER/Intensive-Care ward in the US will cost 2X the average median salary in the US for an entire year.
    Last edited by Marc; 04-27-2019 at 07:04 AM.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Darling of The Lounge
    The NFL draft is yet another example of humans exploiting other humans for a profit. Treating athletes like thoroughbred animals and worshiping them as idols much like the way gladiators were revered prior to the fall of Rome. The parallels are ominous.

Anyway, who needs a STEM education when you can make lots of money throwing, catching and being difficult to knock down while running?

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Go Eagles!

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Go Eagles!
    The Cardinals are going to shock the world!
    And win 3 games again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    I was pissed that it pre-empted Jeopardy. I'm looking forward to whoever takes down that Holzhauer guy. I find him to be annoying. He's no Ken Jennings, that's for sure.
    Ha! That's exactly what prompted this thread, wanting to watch Jeopardy but seeing fans wearing nfl jerseys and me thinking WTF?
    I know ball sports rule in the USA but this isn't even a scrimmage or pre-season game, to each his own I suppose.
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    I used to be into football, and even I didn't give a sh!t about the NFL draft. It requires a level of sports fandom I never achieved (thankfully).

And extreme sports fandom is a very very geeky thing actually, we just don't notice that it is because all the marketing makes it seem 'cool'.

"Hey, lookit those shirtless dudes painted up in team colors watching a Bills game in subzero weather! At first glance I thought it was stupid, but there's dudes like that in all the beer commercials, so it must be COOL!!!"

TLDR: Peoples are teh dumbs.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Go Eagles!
    Hey I just saw the Iggles drafted QB Clayton Thorson from my alma mater! He'll be taking them into the playoffs next season when Wentz goes down again. Nothing like a Northwestern quarterback.

RoadBikeReview Member
    So, it appears that the first NFL football game was played right here in River City, and the NFL is supposed to build a commemorative "field" (already used for amateur sportz) as a tribute so naturally, our Mayor had to get a piece of the action.

GO TRIANGLES!

gazing from the shadows
    The sports media plays it to fill time, they cover it to fill constant "sports news" content requirements for months before hand.

IMO fans pay attention, to the extent that they do, to gain status. Given the ease of getting information today, and how many people know so much because of fantasy football (and just loving sports), they only way to know MORE is to really dig. The coverage of the draft includes a lot of insider information on team needs and strategies. Much of it can be gotten from other sources, but the thrill of the hunt (for information) and the thrill of using the information (at the office and online) is the main factor for people who pay attention.

At least that is my guess for the popularity that exists. Which is likely very much lower than the coverage might lead one to think.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    The Cardinals are going to shock the world!
    And win 3 games again.
    This will not be at all shocking to the football cognoscenti who really follow the game.

If they get those wins all in one season, though, that'd be a shocker.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    So, it appears that the first NFL football game was played right here in River City, and the NFL is supposed to build a commemorative "field" (already used for amateur sportz) as a tribute so naturally, our Mayor had to get a piece of the action.

GO TRIANGLES!
    The NFL once had franchises in Duluth, MN, Evansville, IN, Pottsville, PA, Portsmouth, OH, Decatur, IL, and Hammond, IN.

The Triangles later became (swear to Jeebus) the Brooklyn Dodgers, who became the Brooklyn Tigers, and then were subsumed into the Brooklyn Yanks, before moving to Rochester.

a real member's member
    two straight years the #1 pick is an OU qb.

boomer.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    two straight years the #1 pick is an OU qb.

boomer.
    Agreed. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, I believe one of xxl's kids go there...Boomer Sooner. Used to to be in Norman 3 or 4 times per year for work for almost 15 years, great little town. I remember riding through campus trying to score a ticket against Texas Tech and scalpers still asking over $100/ticket when there were points on the board < a minute into the game. Oh well, still got a good ride in.

xxl
    Agreed. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, I believe one of xxl's kids go there...Boomer Sooner. Used to to be in Norman 3 or 4 times per year for work for almost 15 years, great little town. I remember riding through campus trying to score a ticket against Texas Tech and scalpers still asking over $100/ticket when there were points on the board < a minute into the game. Oh well, still got a good ride in.
    FWIW, my kid transferred to The Ohio State University after his sophomore year.

a real member's member
    scalpers still asking over $100/ticket when there were points on the board < a minute into the game.
    shoulda gone to a game when i was going to school in the mid '90s. they were givin' 'em away!

B^)
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Opus was just napping
    I am a Detroit Lions fan so stop shiatting on our Super Bowl.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

Seat's not level
    We have a couple division 2 or 3 washouts in my office that live and die by living their dreams through fantasy football. They all need to join weight watchers, Jenny Craig and the paleo guy and go jump off a cliff. Annoying as hell to listen to them all freakin day

Non non normal
    We were privileged to plan a vacation not realizing that the NFL draft would be in Nashville the same time we were there. What a goat rope. what comedian said attending the NFL draft is like somebody going to a high school graduation where they know no-one graduating.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    We were privileged to plan a vacation not realizing that the NFL draft would be in Nashville the same time we were there. What a goat rope. what comedian said attending the NFL draft is like somebody going to a high school graduation where they know no-one graduating.
    Goat rope. Great term. What does it mean? I'd like to add it to my vernacular ammo belt. I still use "F*cked up as Hogan's goat" which I learned in the navy many years ago.

Sorry you got caught up in that.

When they had the draft in Philly a few years ago...

It was the kind of drunken, screaming, yelling, pissing, barfing, spitting, fighting mayhem that only could be put on by a few million NFL superfans from primarily Philly, NY, and NJ, with some suitably angry, drunken, screaming, pissing (etc) MD and DC superfans there to add to the festivities.

Until they had the draft in philly, I had no idea that it was a huge outdoor drunken barfing event. And I'm a football fan all the way back to watching Johnny U. and Gino Marchetti (RIP) of the Baltimore Colts on our Bendix B&W TV.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast