RoadBikeReview Member

How to solve sticky tuners on "classical" guitar

Hello, Everyone - I just got a nice, used Yamaha G-60A. However, three tuners are really sticky. I thought it might get less humid sitting in my home for a few days, but that has made no difference.

What is your favorite method for solving this? Sand out the hole the rollers go in? Lubricate with graphite? Or shavings from bar soap? Throw out your advice. I have never done this before. i have a new set of strings, and plan to dig in this weekend.

Darling of The Lounge
    Homebrew bike lube

RoadBikeReview Member
    HA! I'm about to ream out a peg hole on my old fiddle after having the peg head snap off in my hand (too much peg dope?) so I got nothin except stay away from peg dope!

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    While I'm not familiar with classical guitars, typically a dry lube is recommended...either graphite, or perhaps a Teflon based spray that'll dry out quickly (leaving no spooge or schmutz behind).
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Homebrew bike lube
    I saw this discussed on the interweb. If anyone wants to put a recipe or link, I may do the home brew lube.

half-fast
    Frets.com is a good resource for guitar repair.

Im with Fuji, oil will be bad.

Are they stuck, or just creaky?

Try rubbing a pencil point in the gears.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10ae1203 View Post
    Frets.com is a good resource for guitar repair.

Im with Fuji, oil will be bad.

Are they stuck, or just creaky?

Try rubbing a pencil point in the gears.
    Gears are OK. I believe the problem is the 'peg hole' the 'peg,' the roller is in. They are very tough to turn, and I don't want to force them. They are tough to turn only at one point of one entire cycle, not the entire cycle of one whole turn. I think over time these tuner holes have gotten out of being aligned.

25yr Houston-Austin MS150
    Quote Originally Posted by PJay View Post
    Gears are OK. I believe the problem is the 'peg hole' the 'peg,' the roller is in. They are very tough to turn, and I don't want to force them. They are tough to turn only at one point of one entire cycle, not the entire cycle of one whole turn. I think over time these tuner holes have gotten out of being aligned.
    Are there ferrules in the post holes through the headstock? If not, can you tell if it *should* have them? if the post is rubbing on the wood, probably a bad friction source.
    Four wheels good; two wheels better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by curtw View Post
    Are there ferrules in the post holes through the headstock? If not, can you tell if it *should* have them? if the post is rubbing on the wood, probably a bad friction source.
    No ferrules. That would be a big retrofit.

RoadBikeReview Member

Done! Great shape.

Well I was sure I would have to do some sanding of the peg holes.

We got to this yesterday evening. I had my 12-yaer-old son so all of this, so he could get the experience.

To begin, I decided to touch the tuner gears with a bit of mineral oil. Well, first we noted with masking tape the 4 tuners that were sticky.

I then had my 12-year-old son do all of this, as I guided. He touches the gears with the q-tip of mineral oil, then turns them, as I instruct, to get the oil to spread around. All the stickiness was gone. Gone. So, no sanding required.

So, we proceeded to put on new strings. Daddario pro arte ej45. normal tension. These are pretty much what I wanted, which was good, since this was ALL the little guitar shop near me had. [I think they are going to go out of business soon; I think they have turned into just a place to give lessons. I have more instruments in my study than they had in their showroom. Except they had more pedals.]

The stings that came with this guitar were lousy. The used-instrument shop guy said as much. So, my kid cut them, then got them off. Now he knows why you don't wind ALL of the string on the peg. Just 2 or 3 go-rounds. PITA to get all of that off. But it was not me doing it.

So, then I show him how to do the classical guitar strings. He does great. Pic below. Looks good!

As soon as we got the first string on, and plucked it, I was very excited - this has the sound I like - a nice, moderate, full ring that has a nice taper-off. Yes! Score for $80!

Anyway: task done! Now he has a righty classical guitar to goof around with. I like that since the tension is way lower than acoustic steel string, so as he learns a few chords, it is not so hard to hold a chord.How to solve sticky tuners on "classical" guitar-img_20180922_073949.jpg

half-fast
    Cool

Nice tie job

Great price on a nice guitar, too.