Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014

Hurricane Florence - Are you affected and what are you doing to prepare.

So I live in the DC area, used to be in just a general non flooding area (but would lose power occasionally). However, last year I moved, I now live on the river (just off the Chesapeake) with a dock. House is about 5 feet off the ground with a crawl space,

Now of course this could just end up being a crappy rain storm, although last nights rain caused the river to come up midway into my yard (about 2 feet high difference between the regular water line and the top of the yard sloping uphill before getting to the house).

Being this is my first possible hurricane, and hearing that Isabella did flood, but only under the crawlspace (requiring just the insulation to be replaced), any suggestions, what are you planning on doing to prepare.

half-fast
    Put your lawn furniture in the garage. Tie the trash can to something.

Big stuff blowing around is bad.

Buy your sump pump today, Saturday they will be hard to find.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    So I live in the DC area, used to be in just a general non flooding area (but would lose power occasionally). However, last year I moved, I now live on the river (just off the Chesapeake) with a dock. House is about 5 feet off the ground with a crawl space,

Now of course this could just end up being a crappy rain storm, although last nights rain caused the river to come up midway into my yard (about 2 feet high difference between the regular water line and the top of the yard sloping uphill before getting to the house).

Being this is my first possible hurricane, and hearing that Isabella did flood, but only under the crawlspace (requiring just the insulation to be replaced), any suggestions, what are you planning on doing to prepare.
    They are talking about very large rainfall totals inland because they expect the storm to stall due to the blocking high pressure to the north. Having some sort of utility pump would be a good idea

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Sounds like its going to pour all weekend. So much for the annual Rappahanock Rough Ride on Saturday. Just had a French drain and sump pump installed in my basement that's been going through a painfully slow and increasingly expensive renovation.

I feel sorry for the folks in Cape Hatteras that are being evacuated. That place got leveled just a couple years ago.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    My crawl space does not have a sump, it's not a sealed one, it is vented, so a sump would not do anything.

If it does flood, I have flood insurance (required because I am in a flood zone), I'll use the insurance payout to have my crawlspace encapsulated.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Sump pumps are for basements. Your crawl space is 5 feet above ground? Seems pretty significant. Are you planning to evacuate?

Why would you want to encapsulate you crawl space?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Sump pumps are for basements. Your crawl space is 5 feet above ground? Seems pretty significant. Are you planning to evacuate?

Why would you want to encapsulate you crawl space?
    No, the house is 5f above ground. Vented crawl spaces are the old way, and not the most efficient compared to encapsulated once. Also, once I seal it up and include it in the heated and cooled zones, I can move my well/water process equipment into the crawl space as it takes up a ton of space in my laundry room.

At that point, you install drainage and sump. It is an old house, and leaks like a sieve.

Not planning to evacuate unless ordered. I live about 15 to 20 miles south of Annapolis. There is one road in and out (Shady Side), which floods regularly under normal heavy rains. We also tend to lose power a lot. The downside being no power, no water. Being that I travel a lot for a living, I have a metric ton of hotel points and airliine points. I can hole the family up in a hotel for a while. It's my dogs that are the problem, one is old and can barely move, and is not up to date on it's shots (he is at the end of his run ), so kenneling him is not an option.

I guess we will see.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Got some friends you can stay with? I'd be worried about the road flooding, and not being able to get out, and then things get really bad and you end up camped out on the roof. Be careful.

My house is at the top of a hill overlooking a flood plain. Seven years ago there was a hurricane that parked itself over DC and rained for a week. The creek running through the flood plain looked more like the Colorado River than a creek. Some kids went down there behind my house to look at it, and one of them fell in. They found his body about a quarter mile down a few hours later. He was 12. There's still a little cross by the side of the road near where they found his body. Water can be pretty powerful stuff.

flinty-eyed moderator
    stocking up on wine today, and I will pre-position the generator and gas cans.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    No, the house is 5f above ground. Vented crawl spaces are the old way, and not the most efficient compared to encapsulated once. Also, once I seal it up and include it in the heated and cooled zones, I can move my well/water process equipment into the crawl space as it takes up a ton of space in my laundry room.

At that point, you install drainage and sump. It is an old house, and leaks like a sieve.

Not planning to evacuate unless ordered. I live about 15 to 20 miles south of Annapolis. There is one road in and out (Shady Side), which floods regularly under normal heavy rains. We also tend to lose power a lot. The downside being no power, no water. Being that I travel a lot for a living, I have a metric ton of hotel points and airliine points. I can hole the family up in a hotel for a while. It's my dogs that are the problem, one is old and can barely move, and is not up to date on it's shots (he is at the end of his run ), so kenneling him is not an option.

I guess we will see.
    Based on your description, I would encourage you do consider evacuating. As pmf said, if you wait and see, by the time you realize you need to get out, it may not be possible

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Got some friends you can stay with? I'd be worried about the road flooding, and not being able to get out, and then things get really bad and you end up camped out on the roof. Be careful.

My house is at the top of a hill overlooking a flood plain. Seven years ago there was a hurricane that parked itself over DC and rained for a week. The creek running through the flood plain looked more like the Colorado River than a creek. Some kids went down there behind my house to look at it, and one of them fell in. They found his body about a quarter mile down a few hours later. He was 12. There's still a little cross by the side of the road near where they found his body. Water can be pretty powerful stuff.
    That is a horrible ending

I am very familiar with how dangerous water can be. I was a beach lifeguard growing up, some serious currents right were the Indian and Atlantic oceans meet.

We are preparing though. 4 kayaks and a paddle board.. might be paddling to work I was in Bowie when that hurricane came through, lost power for 14 days too, and yeah, the creek behind my house (actually it is an overflow ravine) was a raging river.

I'm supposed to travel next week, I suspect I may have to put that on hold. We do have friends we can crash with if need be.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Based on your description, I would encourage you do consider evacuating. As pmf said, if you wait and see, by the time you realize you need to get out, it may not be possible
    We will get out before things go sideways. The wait and see part is to see what direction it goes closer to the time. Currently Thursday, so we should know on Wed whether to bail or not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Ljvb appears to be well North of Florence's projected track. There's little risk of a direct hit on Maryland at this point, although the stall and flood scenario is certainly possible. With flooding (unlike wind or storm surge), you don't have to go far to evacuate to safety. During Harvey, my parents' house was completely unscathed. 1/2 mile down the road they live on the houses were up to their roofs. All you need is another 10-15 feet of elevation.
    Last edited by nealric; 09-10-2018 at 11:30 AM.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster ordered the mandatory evacuation of the state's entire 187-mile coastline beginning at 12:00 p.m. Tuesday.

Welcome to the jungle
    Current track.

Good luck North Carolina, and neighboring states.

Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    He's right next to a river. Like spitting distance. I'd be worried.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    This was my back yard this afternoon at 430.. Well my yard (the gate/stairs to my dock) and neighbors (other side of the wooden fence). The water is usually not this high, it stops about 20 or so feet on the other side of the fence. During heavy rains and high tide, it will sometimes come up to the fence line.

Below.. is low tide, as a result of the rains from the last few days. The ground being saturated already, add the rains from the hurricane and the storm surge on the river, and a high tide.... it does not bode well for us.

We stocked up on water, as well as a couple of carboys we filled with water to use for flushing (while I am on well, we are on city sewage, so hopefully that will not back up). Picked up a couple of those mini propane tanks for our little 2 burner camping stove if we need it. I have an alternative location to send the wife and kid, we'll decide Wed or early Thur.

Hurricane Florence - Are you affected and what are you doing to prepare.-img_6200.jpgHurricane Florence - Are you affected and what are you doing to prepare.-img_6199.jpg

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    This was the bike path along the Potomac this morning. The river is full of flotsam. Guys were out putting flags on the bridge in observance of 9/11 (they do this every year. I'm going to have to find a different route home.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hurricane Florence - Are you affected and what are you doing to prepare.-13.jpg   Hurricane Florence - Are you affected and what are you doing to prepare.-7.jpg   Hurricane Florence - Are you affected and what are you doing to prepare.-16.jpg   Hurricane Florence - Are you affected and what are you doing to prepare.-10.jpg   Hurricane Florence - Are you affected and what are you doing to prepare.-5.jpg  

Hurricane Florence - Are you affected and what are you doing to prepare.-11.jpg   Hurricane Florence - Are you affected and what are you doing to prepare.-12.jpg   Hurricane Florence - Are you affected and what are you doing to prepare.-2.jpg   Hurricane Florence - Are you affected and what are you doing to prepare.-1.jpg   Hurricane Florence - Are you affected and what are you doing to prepare.-9.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Yep, ground is saturated, it can't handle anymore water. I am apparently in Zone A (red zone) in MD with regards to evacuation, guess that means if we are told to evacuate we have no choice. Not sure if it is a law, or just a strongly urged request... I'll find out later tonight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sounds like there are potential issues regardless of the hurricane, but the latest guidance is only showing 2-4 inches of rain in your area as the storm has tracked south.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/gra...inqpf#contents

Proud luddite
    I live in Arizona so obviously no threat here....but I grew up in NC and have friends there and they are freaking out. This storm is a big deal, unfortunately. And my favorite spot in the world, Topsail Island, could take a direct hit. I just hope the storm doesn’t live up to all the predictions. 🙁

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    I live in Arizona so obviously no threat here....but I grew up in NC and have friends there and they are freaking out. This storm is a big deal, unfortunately. And my favorite spot in the world, Topsail Island, could take a direct hit. I just hope the storm doesn’t live up to all the predictions. 🙁
    yea, a storm surge of 15-20 ft and huge rain totals could make this epic. I have been tracking this since it formed and, while I am glad I will likely end up unscathed here in NJ, I feel very bad for folks in the Carolinas and VA that are going to be majorly impacted. This is almost a worst case scenario for them

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Here’s in Central VA (and DC as well I think) we’ve had a couple of days of steady rain that finally eased off today. My guess is we will get more crap loads of rain, a lot of trees down because of the already soaked ground and then a couple of days later, flooding downstream on the James, Rappahannock, and Potomac Rivers. Bad sign that there’s already minor flooding on the Potomac.

I really hope the models are wrong and this thing diverts northward while still at sea and spares the coast a pounding.

KWL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    We left Chincoteague Island this morning under a mandatory evacuation order for Virginia Area A locations, which includes the island. Others are staying, but I don't see dealing with that causeway when the rains really hits. It was iffy enough with the recent rain and high winds. And seeing pmf's photos, I am very happy I no longer commute to work on the Mt. Vernon Trail. There will be weeks of mud and dirt after the flooding recedes.
    Ken
    P.J. O'Rourke: The Internet - whose idea was it to put all the idiots on earth in touch with each other?

Welcome to the jungle
    Really hope there aren't a bunch of Darwin Award™ candidates living near/at the coast who decide to 'ride this one out'.

Better safe than deceased.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast