I am now the proud owner of a motorcycle. Well, maybe just the owner.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Beetpull DeLite

I am now the proud owner of a motorcycle. Well, maybe just the owner.

My coworker dropped the bike off today after work....it's mine now, beyotches. Time to grab a service manual, replace the plugs, and clean the carbs so it'll actually run correctly. Hopefully.

The large white mark and dent on the tank are from him loading it into his truck last night. Oops.

Harvey the gay bicycle riding frog approves of it, however, as do the birds.

Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images

Game on, b*tches!
    I'm jealous. It looks not so bad.
    Originally Posted by tetter
    'Pain is temporary, and there might be beer at the finish line'

"Karma is spread in lots of different ways. You know, like herpes."
    catzilla
    "I'm an American male. This is pizza. Leave me alone!"
    Alton Brown
    ohnoIaintsuckingnomore.blogspot.com

Call me a Fred
    You'll shoot your eye out!
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

"El Bwana"
    Niiiyyccce.
    "Pardon me, but could you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?"

Always changing.....
    Mad max rides again.

You got a CRV like me. Had ours for 3 three years and the thing has been sweet to own and maintain and problem free.

RoadBikeReview Member
    girchy.........is that an older v max ?......
    The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. And I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon.
    - Raoul Duke

I Type, Therefore I Am
    I had a dent in the tank of my Honda Shadow for years. Always swore I would fix it. Never did. Even tho the dent was from the previous owner, it just kinda made it "mine". I sold it with the dent intact.
    "Wind doesn't suck, it blows." - my friend Bill
    "Knowin' the time ain't gonna get me there quicker" -Fear

remodeling...me
    CONGRATS! I've been feeling that old yearning especially with spring and the gas prices but I just can't right now.
    Please keep posting about yours so we can enjoy!
    Is that a Yamaha? A KZ750 was my first bike but I sold it before I ever got it up-and-running and bought my Honda Cl360 which was a better size for me(I was little then).
    Zeytin

"Wow, Alex...way to pee in the guy's Wheaties..." ~Opus51569

What the Hell is going on

Nttawwt

That's so [email protected]!
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

the fist
    did svend photoshop that frog in the pixxor?
    FlexiSexual

Scary Teddy Bear

Ahhh

my fave in the ER.....the donorcycle riders. That's what we call them.

Ride safely and carefully man.
    "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it." John Stuart Mill, 1866

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
    http://physasst.blogspot.com/

Who needs a map?
    Congrats! Ride safe. While riding you should view absolutely everything as a threat to your life - every car, every pedestrian, every bump in the road. Ride paranoid. Remember that any idjut with a right hand can ride fast. It takes lots of practice and experience to corner well and ride safely. I learned that lesson the hard way and my left foot still hurts when I think I am going to fast (even in my truck).

Beetpull DeLite
    Oh yeah....it's a 1985 Yamaha Maxim X or, in their technical terms, an XJ700XN. It's kind of an oddball, built only two years, sold as a 700 in the US but a 750 elsewhere (longer stroke). Has 5 valves/cylinder (3I, 2E) and is water cooled - Yamaha also sold an air cooled 700 then with 4 valve heads, but it's completely different.

So of course it's hard to find parts for it, unlike the others. Mine has Mikuni versus the other engines' Hitachis, and the boots between the carbs and head are prone to cracking and are nearly impossible to find. So it might take some improvisation.

There's a great forum just for the XJ series bikes, and another site for the Maxim X itself. I've ordered a CD with the service manual and a parts x-ref, so between all that I have tons of help. Plus there's a great motorcycle guy here at work who said he'd be willing to help out. The carbs are notorious for getting dirty and causing XJ series bikes to run poorly, so they're the problem 90% of the time.

Anybody wanna help?

Beetpull DeLite
    Quote Originally Posted by lot8con8
    You got a CRV like me. Had ours for 3 three years and the thing has been sweet to own and maintain and problem free.
    It's not mine, but I'm the caretaker of it for now...it's the house's owner's car. It would have been too expensive for her to take it to school so there it sits. I always drove it while she was here and we carpooled, anyway, so I've put more miles on it in the past two years than she has.

It's not bad, but I hate the engine...can I have some torque, please? The airbag light is on now, so I gotta get that fixed. Very versatile vehicle, though, and I like it better than the new CR-Vs....they're too carlike and wimpy feeling inside.

Beetpull DeLite
    Quote Originally Posted by JaeP
    Hence his name!

My Mom got it for me last year for my birthday. I think it's kinda funny, plus the neighborhood kids love it. I had three neighbors thank me yesterday for putting it back up.

Have a nice day
    The USA got a bunch of 700cc motorcycles in 1984-1987 because of a tariff put in place by Reagan on imported motorcycles over 700cc. The tariff was intended to help Harley-Davidson recover from near bankruptcy, which it did.

Have fun! You should probably replace those tires soon, they look pretty old.

It's not TOO Cold!
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy
    The airbag light is on now, so I gotta get that fixed.
    There is a recall for that, just take it to the dealer, they will fix it for free.

Yeah, not a self gratifying (c0D3) (not c0d3) but free and easy (c0D3 ?)

Lemur-ing
    It doesn't have drop bars? And no water bottle cages too?

Nice otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by tconrady
    If I can get some more tomorrow.... I thought it'd grow on me but I'm not feelin' it....wait..
    Allez United!

Glory, Glory Man United, and the Reds go marching on!

i like whiskey
    From a purely aesthetic perspective, if your removed the passenger seat and sissy bar, and got a single seat that fit well with the rear fender, it would improve the style a lot. Make it look a little sleeker.

My coworker dropped the bike off today after work....it's mine now, beyotches. Time to grab a service manual, replace the plugs, and clean the carbs so it'll actually run correctly. Hopefully.

The large white mark and dent on the tank are from him loading it into his truck last night. Oops.

Harvey the gay bicycle riding frog approves of it, however, as do the birds.

Brian

Beetpull DeLite
    Quote Originally Posted by undies
    Have fun! You should probably replace those tires soon, they look pretty old.
    Actually, the rear one is brand new, and the front one has plenty of tread and is not cracked. It just needs some air.

Beetpull DeLite
    Quote Originally Posted by innergel
    From a purely aesthetic perspective, if your removed the passenger seat and sissy bar, and got a single seat that fit well with the rear fender, it would improve the style a lot. Make it look a little sleeker.
    Sissy bar's gotta stay - lets me drag the rear end into the garage.

Beetpull DeLite
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer03
    There is a recall for that, just take it to the dealer, they will fix it for free.

Yeah, not a self gratifying (c0D3) (not c0d3) but free and easy (c0D3 ?)
    Awesome, thanks!

Always changing.....
    It's not bad, but I hate the engine...can I have some torque, please? The airbag light is on now, so I gotta get that fixed. Very versatile vehicle, though, and I like it better than the new CR-Vs....they're too carlike and wimpy feeling inside.
    I find the torque lacking as well. A complaint I have heard about other Hondas as well. I don't think my wife notices the lack of torque though since it has a good stereo and that is all that matters, right.

Have a nice day
    Actually, the rear one is brand new
    It is? Because it looks like a tire design that Dunlop hasn't sold for 15+ years. I could be wrong I guess, I don't know cruiser tires too well.

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    Oh yeah....it's a 1985 Yamaha Maxim X or, in their technical terms, an XJ700XN. It's kind of an oddball, built only two years, sold as a 700 in the US but a 750 elsewhere (longer stroke). Has 5 valves/cylinder (3I, 2E) and is water cooled - Yamaha also sold an air cooled 700 then with 4 valve heads, but it's completely different.

So of course it's hard to find parts for it, unlike the others. Mine has Mikuni versus the other engines' Hitachis, and the boots between the carbs and head are prone to cracking and are nearly impossible to find. So it might take some improvisation.

There's a great forum just for the XJ series bikes, and another site for the Maxim X itself. I've ordered a CD with the service manual and a parts x-ref, so between all that I have tons of help. Plus there's a great motorcycle guy here at work who said he'd be willing to help out. The carbs are notorious for getting dirty and causing XJ series bikes to run poorly, so they're the problem 90% of the time.

Anybody wanna help?
    Invest heavily in carb cleaning spray, or a parts washer. I swear that 50% of servicing a moto is cleaning oil, grease and other gick off parts.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast