I fall asleep in class easily, WHY do I fall asleep in class easily?
    RoadBikeReview Member

I fall asleep in class easily, WHY do I fall asleep in class easily?

I do get the 8 hours of sleep + whatever I can get on the commuter train. Seems like I can't ever stay awake, even if I start with strong "awakeness" during the lecture. And this sleepiness comes about on car rides, church, and walking in Costco in particular.

Is it the NNC? BTW, I've had an EKG and a EEG few years back. Doctors said there's nothing wrong FWIW. Only significant differences in lifestyle have been ramped up NNC (but nothing outrageous) and commuting to school. If anything, I'd think my physical condition has improved over time.

I like waterboarding...
    low blood pressure.
    .......__o
    .......\ <,
    ....( )/ ( )

RoadBikeReview Member
    Candida
    Food Allergies
    Sleep Apnea
    :It tastes like burning.

Proud luddite
    Some people just need more than the routine 8 hours of sleep. Maybe you're one of them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb
    Some people just need more than the routine 8 hours of sleep. Maybe you're one of them.
    So unfair...

Non Non Cyclist
    Narcolepsy?
    Move along...nothing to see here.

m_s
    oh lonesome road for you
    Nov 2007
    I have this problem sometimes. I think a combination of diet, mental attitude, QUALITY of sleep, warm and dry roods, and quality of instruction all play roles, for me.

I've only literally fallen asleep in class a few times, pretty clearly due to sleep deprivation, but I do get more tired and fuzzy-headed than I would like quite often.

If your classes are seminar style or small, I have found that asking questions and engaging in discussions as well as taking notes even when not needed helps keep me focused and awake.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    I didn't do caffeine until college and I had to start to keep awake in class.

Most people can only focus on something they're not really engaged in or all that keen about for about 20 minutes or so.

Now if you're really into it, well then you can pay attention for hours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    How well are you sleeping 8 hours plus train naps seems like a lot of sleep. Do you think you are eating enough? How well are you eating?

What the what???
    At least you're not an air traffic controller... Or the VP...
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    In the wrong classes I know I'm 1/2 asleep just based on the quality of the teaching or material. Nothing like a professorial monotone voice droning on to send me towards dreamland. I'm assuming these are lectures?

More exercise for me means that I need more sleep. Just how it is. 8 hours is a start decent start but you might just need more. Have you experimented with 9 hours a night for a couple weeks?

I luv riding in WA
    Jan 2002

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Too much sleep?
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Dr. Flats a lot

your problem is.....

Your issue is far from unique, just look around a standard lecture hall and there are dozens of students in various stages of sleep. The problem is not with your sleep, lifestyle, some undiagnosed medical condition or needing a high colonic.
    Your problem is the way you are learning. You are trying to learn passively. Just sitting there are listening, which unless you are totally fascinated by the material or have a crush on the teacher, is boring and will put you to sleep. It's boring.
    You need to do active learning. Take detailed notes, ask questions, sit in the front of class. Every idea that is said in class should be in your notebook. As an added benefit, all your test material generally comes from lectures. I've had plenty of classes where I never had to use the text's, and just with my notes was pulling 4.0's. I'd usually end up with 5-7 pages of notes for a 50min lecture. Getting ready for an exam generally meant using my lecture notes to create a study guide of all the important concepts, using the text's when necessary to define ideas that were unclear. That worked until medical school which was like drinking from a firehouse. That learning was purely driven by fear.
    You can try and help with some caffeine etc... but the bottom line is how you are learning.
    Last edited by zoikz; 04-14-2011 at 05:28 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    Are your classes boring? Can you watch a long movie/sporting event or something else you are interested in?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Learning in a school setting is mostly terrible.
    Sit near the front. Try to get involved and remember how much you're paying for the privilege to be there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    I did grad school at night. Classes were 2x a week from 6:50pm - 10:00pm. After a full day at the office and the drive to campus, staying awake was always a challenge.

MCF
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    Drink lots of 5 hour energy!