I got "prune hands" this morning
    Frog Whisperer

I got "prune hands" this morning

They were calling for 95 degrees today, hot humid and clear, but when I got up this morning it was cool and overcast. SO......I decided to get a ride in BEFORE that happened. I mounted up my new lights to make sure they were going to work and not be in my way for Booty. I tucked into the 15 mph wind and headed south. The further I got, the darker and windier it got, I was PLANNING 50.....but....at 23 I decided I best head back...it was starting to rain and the wind was up to about 25 mph. I decided on a "shortcut" over to Lake Mills via the gravel trail. That was NOT a shortcut and the waterford was NOT the right bike for the trail either. By the time I got to lake mills it was raining pretty steady. Now you guys KNOW what happens to a road when it hasn't rained in over a month.....FILTHY.....SLIPPERY....I was dehydrated but there was no effing way I was putting my water bottle in my mouth...YUCK.

I stopped at Kwik Trip and bought a salted nut-roll thing just to get a plastic bag for my cell phone and decided on taking state hwy 89 back north because it had good wide shoulders. As it turned out, I was glad i had the lights, the conditions were bad and I was on the edge of a fairly busy state highway. I set both front and rear to flash and felt a little more secure about being visible. At this point I was in the driving rain with a 25 to 30 mph crosswind for 8 miles.

When I hit Waterloo, I had the direct tailwind most of the way home....I must have ridden out of the rain because it did not appear to have rained more than a tenth or so, it was dry under all the trees.

So I finished up at 46 miles and was just a filthy mess.

I kind of like riding in the rain...is is quiet and fast, I swear wet roads are faster than dry roads. It makes sense to me, the tires and roads are lubricated, right????

Anyhow it was a good ride
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

Not a rocket surgeon.
    I went out for 50 also. Here in northern Illinois we got nothin. Need rain bad.

Frog Whisperer
    we got nothing at home.....we need it desperately
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

Boobies!
    I remember the feeling of zinging along in the rain, but I hate it--too many memories of hard long races in the rain in Raincouver.

My morning ride was exceptionally beautiful--up before anyone else, coffee and juice and hit the road--for some mysterious reason we are still getting cool at night so it was about 60 when I started--so knickers and a long-sleeve jersey for me.

Beautiful clear sunshine, summer wildflowers blooming up in Harriman State Park, their scent mixing with the smell of fresh-mowed grass on the verge. Saw a bunch of deer feeding on the side of the road--only spooked one when I sneaked up on him.

Funniest was the family of geese sitting on the roadway--warming up from the asphalt?--there was that little traffic.

Then off to the big city to meet our near-godson and GF (he's calling her a "room-mate"--heh!) for brunch.

A good day!
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
    -Hanlon's Razor