I got scammed on-line.
    Road & Trail Warrior

I got scammed on-line.

My naiveté got the best of me.
    I buy/sell a lot on "Kijiji", kinda like a Canadian Craigslist. I placed a wanted ad for a Floyd Rose bridge for one of my guitars.

I got a reply, and after he posted pics and agreeing on a price, I suggested PayPal. He cleverly declined with some pretty valid excuses, so, I sent him the payment through bank transfer.
    I have NEVER done this with a stranger and I should have known better.
    3 Weeks later and still not shipped. From the start, he gave me his phone #to text, so ever since I realized it was a scam, I've been badgering him.

After googling his name, it looks like he's done the same to many others.
    One of these other victims managed to get a photo of his driver's license. (How does that happen?) Complete with full name and address.

Don't know why the cops aren't doing anything but I'll report it anyway.

What a dope!
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1451965311

RoadBikeReview Member
    IMO: craigslist and the like are strictly for in-person transactions. There's no vetting process, contractual protection, or sense of community to keep out bad actors. Even as a seller, I have walked away from transactions where the buyer would not be physically present.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dealing on the internet:

Rule Number One: Listen to that listen voice of wisdom & doubt inside --- If the other party refuses to provide their telephone number, move on.

Rule Number Two: If it sounds to good to be true ... run immediately to Rule Number One.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Dealing on the internet:

Rule Number One: Listen to that listen voice of wisdom & doubt inside --- If the other party refuses to provide their telephone number, move on.

Rule Number Two: If it sounds to good to be true ... run immediately to Rule Number One.
    Agreed. But I feel for you, jlandry. I know that sometimes that voice of reason inside your head can get drowned out by that voice of excitement when you find what seems like a great deal for something you want.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

Proud luddite
    So easy to have this happen to you. I worry about my 82 y.o. mother getting scammed but realistically I know that I could fall victim almost as easily. I wonder what scamming will look like 30 years from now when I'm in my 80's.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    He's Portuguese, drop the TINK and put in TIS. He grafted an addy in Ontario [large population of Portugues], maybe with a cousin living in ON, or he, on a student visa one summer perfecting bad palavrões.

Sad event. Sorry you lost some tender in the transation. I'm always suspicious [sensitive] to last names being absquatulate.

I love Porto and hunky cheeses/side note.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    So easy to have this happen to you. I worry about my 82 y.o. mother getting scammed but realistically I know that I could fall victim almost as easily. I wonder what scamming will look like 30 years from now when I'm in my 80's.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Boobies!
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    Still cleaning up my MIL's computer-she got on the phone with one of those sociopaths, who farked up her computer (and I'm pretty sure tried to scan it for any financial stuff)--and then claimed that she needed to go to the bank to get money for them to 'unransom' her computer.

Luckily, they were not very good at what they were trying to do--and she finally smelled a rat when they requested the money....

It is a worrisome to have her living on her own.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
    -Hanlon's Razor

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Good luck getting the cops to give a rat's @ss. Like someone here said, CL is a face to face deal, and I always insist on cash as payment. In the U.S., that site is so full of flakes and scammers that I try to avoid it when all possible. Half the time the buyers never even show up.

Road & Trail Warrior
    I'm not expecting my money back, at this point, I'm trolling the guy. I'm considering putting all his info on Facebook and let everyone have at it.

a real member's member
    i've shipped dozens of bike components to buyers in other states through my craigs ad. i've bought a couple bikes in other states through craigs. i always use paypal. it works great.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by jlandry View Post
    My naiveté got the best of me.
    I buy/sell a lot on "Kijiji", kinda like a Canadian Craigslist. I placed a wanted ad for a Floyd Rose bridge for one of my guitars.

I got a reply, and after he posted pics and agreeing on a price, I suggested PayPal. He cleverly declined with some pretty valid excuses, so, I sent him the payment through bank transfer.
    I have NEVER done this with a stranger and I should have known better.
    3 Weeks later and still not shipped. From the start, he gave me his phone #to text, so ever since I realized it was a scam, I've been badgering him.

After googling his name, it looks like he's done the same to many others.
    One of these other victims managed to get a photo of his driver's license. (How does that happen?) Complete with full name and address.

Don't know why the cops aren't doing anything but I'll report it anyway.

What a dope!
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1451965311
    Bought a few LEGO sets from a lady on CL a few years back. She had her kid with her, seemed legit, she was selling cheap but she claimed her brother worked for a toy distributor and was able to get toys free but sent way too many so she would sell the extra.

Then one day out of the blue she texts Mrs69 and asks her if she would watch her kid - apparently the same one she had with her. She said she was in a bind and had to go to Mississippi quickly to see her sick father. Keep in mind she’s only met me twice for just long enough to exchange money for LEGO sets in the Kroger parking lot and she’s never met Mrs69.

Then Mrs69 sees a news story about a fugitive wanted in Mississippi for shoplifting toys from Target stores. Shows me the story and the picture. Is that her? Uh, yeah. Oops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage