Thread: I Hate Best Buy

RoadBikeReview Member

I Hate Best Buy

I've wanted a new TV for years (still running big honking tube Sony) and have one scoped out (decent price, good reviews) but after Black & Cyber, the damn price went up $30!

Now they're dangling 20 days of doorbusters under my nose, daring me to buy until the 18th without knowing where my set will fit in pricing wise.

Damn them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Price it somewhere else and make them match it.

But not good planning to not jump on a good price you've been watching.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Buy it. Don't open it. Wait a couple weeks and see if you find a better deal. If you do, return it. If not keep it.

Or just suck it up and pay a few extra bucks. Flat screen TV's are cheap. And there's always a better deal down the road. Just get rid of that tube TV! Daaaamn.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

gazing from the shadows
    The biggest sales will be the weekend before xmas. Always are.

The blow out deals on black friday are usually off brands, very off brands, btw.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Check your local Costco/Sam's Club as well, and budget for a wall mount and in-wall cable management.

ETA: Amazon has a great wall mount for about $20, and you'll want to leave an extra HDMI cable or two and an optical audio cable in the wall cavity for later connections.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Flat screen TV's are cheap.
    Not OLED ones.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Buy it. Don't open it. Wait a couple weeks and see if you find a better deal. If you do, return it. If not keep it.

Or just suck it up and pay a few extra bucks. Flat screen TV's are cheap. And there's always a better deal down the road. Just get rid of that tube TV! Daaaamn.

Return and price match policies get fuzzy for special events (X Mas & Superbowl) and cheap is relative (I realize I'll need to schlitz or get off the pot, but I want tp limit the techo sting AMAP). The set I have in mind would be like getting a computer today with a floppy drive built in (RCA seems to be slipping and I'd rather avoid an adapter).

And, ole Sony will soldier on until it dies (already 22 years old) of natural causes!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post

The blow out deals on black friday are usually off brands, very off brands, btw.
    Yep, the blowouts were cheap but not the "total package". I'm guessing my set will return to it's discounted price, but may also be in short supply (finger on trigger). Besides, I'll need a front loader to move the old set.

RoadBikeReview Member

Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    Not OLED ones.

I could buy several of what I want for sale OLED...

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    Not OLED ones.
    Cheap is relative. But...

29 years ago, this fine 46" TV would've cost ya $3400 ($6821.98 in 2018 due to inflation)
    Whereas this 55" LG OLED costs $1700. I'd say that's pretty cheap.

I Hate Best Buy-page0656.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    Return and price match policies get fuzzy for special events (X Mas & Superbowl)
    They're actually better around Xmas.
    Normally Best Buy has a 15day return policy. But Purchases made between October 28 and December 28, 2018, have an extended return period through January 12, 2019
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Adorable Furry Hombre
    I've wanted a new TV for years (still running big honking tube Sony) and have one scoped out (decent price, good reviews) but after Black & Cyber, the damn price went up $30!

Now they're dangling 20 days of doorbusters under my nose, daring me to buy until the 18th without knowing where my set will fit in pricing wise.

Damn them.

Doesn't everyone hate Worst Buy? I mean, really.

No one likes working there, and even fewer customers like walking in the door
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    I've wanted a new TV for years (still running big honking tube Sony)
    You've got a bigger problem on your hands than the sale price... Good luck getting someone to take your old Sony tube TV. I had issues getting ride of my 35" Sony tube TV almost 10 years ago. Most companies that recycle TVs, like Best Buy, will charge you $25 just to recycle a small TV... and they might not even take your large one.

RoadBikeReview Member

Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    You've got a bigger problem on your hands than the sale price... Good luck getting someone to take your old Sony tube TV. I had issues getting ride of my 35" Sony tube TV almost 10 years ago. Most companies that recycle TVs, like Best Buy, will charge you $25 just to recycle a small TV... and they might not even take your large one.
    Ride or die with the Sony. Remember, I want a new TV but the Sony works and will move to a den. When it dies, I'll turn it into a terrarium.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    Since the mass switch to plasma and LED screens 15ish years ago, Best Buy (and others) did free recycling of tube TVs for the a decade or longer, until they started charging sometime around 2015 or 2016.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    Since the mass switch to plasma and LED screens 15ish years ago, Best Buy (and others) did free recycling of tube TVs for the a decade or longer, until they started charging sometime around 2015 or 2016.
    The solid waste disposal site in our city took a couple of CRT computer monitors off our hands earlier this year. I'd expect they'd take tube TVs as well, Got rid of all sorts of things that visit - old latex paint, old coleman fuel, a space saver spare tire.

RoadBikeReview Member

Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    here...

ELECTRONICS RECYCLING

Bulk Waste Collection | Dayton, OH

a real member's member
    the damn price went up $30! ... Damn them.
    in the time you've taken to start this thread, follow it, and reply, you could've been down on lincoln blvd selling blowjobs to cover the price increase three times over.

though, i don't know what your holiday rate is, so i could be off on my estimate.

oh, and merry christmas!
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    in the time you've taken to start this thread, follow it, and reply, you could've been down on lincoln blvd selling blowjobs to cover the price increase three times over.

though, i don't know what your holiday rate is, so i could be off on my estimate.

oh, and merry christmas!

?? why did U wait so long to give this sage advice??!! I could have cut to the chase and met the store manager at closing!!!

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    When I used to live in Memphis, we’d say if you want to get rid of something, put it out on your curb with a sign that says “free”. If it’s still there next day, change the sign to “$20” and it’s guaranteed to be gone.

I’ve never had problems with Best Buy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Got rid of our fatass Sony TV a few months ago, I had it for 18 years. Worked fine, but we came into possession of a Panasonic free-standing flat screen, about 42" or so. Weird thing is that images still get cut off on the sides! WTF.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    Weird thing is that images still get cut off on the sides! WTF.
    "Smart" TVs are supposed to "compensate" for varied aspect ratios/resolutions from different sources aren't they? Does the menu offer some "auto aspect ratio" or did you force a ratio?

RoadBikeReview Member
    "Smart" TVs are supposed to "compensate" for varied aspect ratios/resolutions from different sources aren't they? Does the menu offer some "auto aspect ratio" or did you force a ratio?
    Gaaahhh I'll have to start poking around. We don't have the manual.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    I’ve never had problems with Best Buy.

I used to work at Best Buy two point seven decades ago. Back then, various stores had "phases" for their TV department and I spent a lot of tme wrestling with 35" tubed sets that rivaled my own weight!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    Gaaahhh I'll have to start poking around. We don't have the manual.
    When you get the internet, see if you can find an online manual...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Done. Set was featured on the 8th's promos back to <$30 price so it should be here on the 10th.

I will have to get a proper stand later. In the mean time, I'll have to expand the space used by the old set quite a bit. Two days to figure it out or be called a doofass (not that any of you would ever do that).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    I will have to get a proper stand later.
    You should have tried when you bought the set. A few years ago we bought two TVs from BB around Christmas. They wouldn’t bargain on the tv prices but they did sell us a $300 stand for half off.