i hate starting a new job
    RoadBikeReview Member

i hate starting a new job

im 26 and for the last 10 years have been cooking in restaurants. ive only had 2 jobs 1 i had when i was 16 to 25 and the other for a year. i was comfortable.

theres no security and i wasnt making enough to support my family. i just got a new job manufacturing with food. its labour has full benefits, a union and a pension kicks in after 1 year of service. straight days and weekends off. dream job for me.

anyways im freaked right out. i went in for a "plant tour" today and there were machines it was noisy i had to wear work boots and im not gonna lie i was scared. im completely out of my comfort zone. ive never even needed to touch work boots before. theres protocols, labour laws and other things that are not the same as a restaurant. i was supposed to start my real training monday but they asked me if i could come in saturday morning. i said sure to be polite and sound eager but anxiety is kicking in now. id love to get it over with, but its the comfort thing. cooking is all i know.

anyone have any good advice?

Misfit Toy
    Take a deep breath.

What will you be doing at the plant? Maybe talking about it will lessen you anxiety.

Get ear plugs for the noise.
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

your text here
    there is anxiety to all new jobs. Your is just really loud and mechanized. give it two weeks and go from there.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

Impulse Athletic Coaching
    Don't sweat it. Think of all the good stuff.

RoadBikeReview Member
    basically there is ribs bacon roasts things like that. its all raw goes through gets packaged cooked boxed then gets shipped out. theres a conveyor belt that all the food moves on very quickly. im doing boning, which is cutting the crap off the raw meat.

Captain Obvious
    you picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue
    And it just hurts in the very best way possible without a high priced dominatrix.---Ronsonic

I'm pretty confident that I've pissed off several dozen random strangers on the internet tonight.---Creakyknees

disclaimer---I make sh!t up as I go along.

Captain Obvious
    Quote Originally Posted by clipz
    basically there is ribs bacon roasts things like that. its all raw goes through gets packaged cooked boxed then gets shipped out. theres a conveyor belt that all the food moves on very quickly. im doing boning, which is cutting the crap off the raw meat.
    you'll be very slow at first. that's really going to be the case in most assembly line type jobs. once you get a rhythm, you'll do fine. pay attention. don't cut off a finger.
    And it just hurts in the very best way possible without a high priced dominatrix.---Ronsonic

I'm pretty confident that I've pissed off several dozen random strangers on the internet tonight.---Creakyknees

Non Non Cyclist
    I work in a meat processing plant, but not on the production floor. I'm the occupational health nurse for the plant.

Please be mindful of all the safety rules and ALWAYS wear your safety equipment. Those rules may seem arbitrary but they are important and could save your ass.

Good luck!

And +1 on the hearing protection. A good plant will provide it for you, but if not, get your own.
    Move along...nothing to see here.

Non Non Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by tomk96
    you'll be very slow at first. that's really going to be the case in most assembly line type jobs. once you get a rhythm, you'll do fine. pay attention. don't cut off a finger.
    If you're never done work like this, you are at risk for a repetitive movement injury...like carpal tunnel, tendonitis, etc. Make sure to stop and stretch every so often. (Again, good plants will encourage this and possibly even have short stretch breaks built into the work day). If you notice anything more than generalized soreness, report it immediately. You can head off something serious before it starts.

A good plant will also "ramp" you into a repetitive job slowly, a few hours at a time so you get acclimated to the repetitive work.

Captain Obvious
    Quote Originally Posted by lets_ride
    . A good plant will provide it for you, but if not, get your own.
    Don't they need to by law? OSHA and all that...

Non Non Cyclist
    Depends on the noise rating of the machinery.

Festina Lente'
    Yo dude. Also looking at new work, around my parts.

Youll get used to the machinery. Dont get TOO used to it, by that I mean, dont get too comfortable. Ive been around some stuff that would do you in real quick. Just take it easy, take it smart, take it slow at first.

Remember how many fingers you showed up with at work each day.
    "Late to bed, early to rise, work like hell and advertise." -Von Braun

MCF
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    Stand next to a 25MW GT compressor train (GT, LP compressor body, Gearbox, HO compresor body) all coupled together running for the FIRST TIME...that will give you an idea of noise, heat, and the feeling that if anything goes wrong they may find parts of you in the next county. Don't take anything for granted - you don't like something or don't understand something, stop and ask what to do.

Dirty. Nerdy. Unemployed.
    I don't think of many new things as something which you should be comfortable in from the start, the preparation often simply isn't possible. But you should rise to the occasion just fine.

What Would Google Do.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipz
    basically there is ribs bacon roasts things like that. its all raw goes through gets packaged cooked boxed then gets shipped out.
    tell them they're doin it wrong it should be cooked ->packaged ->boxed, meat will be much nicer without the box flavour in there, you will increase their bottom line and will be promoted to a manager and moved into an executive office away from the noisy plant
    you cant say 3rd without turd.

___
    if every man in the world actually played hide the weenie with every woman he ever fantasized over both herpes and stupid would be more of an epidemic than they already are.

- Spanky_ 888007
    __

needs more sleep
    It's always stressful starting anything new, but before you know it you'll be in your routine and prolly have made some new friends. Remember who your doing it for also. I'm sure your gonna be fine. It's nice to hear someone manning up and taking care of his family.
    I gliff snue

Low rep power
    Lets_Ride has some very good suggestions.

also:

ALWAYS wear a cut-resistant glove on your non-knife hand.

If you have to raise your voice in order to talk to someone at a normal conversational distance, think seriously about using hearing protection, whether it's mandated by the job or not- that means it's loud enough to be a potential risk to your hearing. Make sure you know how to insert foam plugs properly- most folks don't until shown.

When in doubt, ask someone- don't just think that you can figure everything out on your own.

Needing to by law and actually doing it can be two very different things

If you have other health and safety questions, feel free to PM me- it's what I do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    thanks very much guys. they rotate the stations so you dont get sore or anything every couple hours i was told today. there very good with safety,.

i really appreciate the comments! its helping alot