RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011

I learned a few things over the years..

This is more for the OG Lownjers who may remember me from 6-7 years ago.

I used to post ride videos all the time, then quit. I deleted my YouTube channel several years ago and regret ever posting a single one of those videos. Why is this, you ask?

Just over 6 years ago I reluctantly started a Fakebook account so I could find out about upcoming NNC rides and events. At first it was pretty cool, but over the years I grew more and more irritated by the stupid selfies and other "look at me!" posts I was barraged with every time I even glanced at the news feed. It dawned on me that I was doing the same thing every time I posted a boring climbing video

I learned that time is precious. I tried diligently to avoid posting anything that would bore my "friends". If a post didn't get many reactions I removed it, as I was wasting people's time. I only wanted to show the positive things that went on in our local cycling community, not my ugly mug. No selfies, and no boring videos. If I recorded a video it had to be something genuinely entertaining otherwise it wasn't worth my time or anyone else's. The last time I posted any footage of a climb was after a fun MTB ride with a bunch of gals who were an absolute riot to be around. Since that was a group ride there was a fun short chase up an equally short singletrack climb.

Now I don't post anything on Farcebook at all, and if I didn't need it to stay in contact with people I actually give a shyt about I would delete that account in a hot minute! I even used the FB Purity add-on for Firefox to block the entire news feed so I don't have to see the BS every time I check for messages on the FB website.

Chalk this up to another lesson learned the hard way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by freighttraininguphill View Post
    I learned that time is precious. I tried diligently to avoid posting anything that would bore my "friends". If a post didn't get many reactions I removed it, as I was wasting people's time. I only wanted to show the positive things that went on in our local cycling community, not my ugly mug. No selfies, and no boring videos.

Yes, U R old especially if U posted this from a computer instead of an iPhone.

Time is the fire in which we all burn...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    Yes, U R old especially if U posted this from a computer instead of an iPhone.

Time is the fire in which we all burn...
    I'm in my 50s now, so yep, I'm an old fart!

Russian Troll Farmer
    I remember when Facebook first came out. I always wondered why anybody would want to make such fools of themselves online, and using their real (supposedly...) names, too! I have no interest in being contacted with losers from high school I didn't like back then, or seeing pic of your homely offspring, either. I don't care where you went on vacation, or what you ate for dinner last night, and I never will. I never saw a reason to join, and I still don't.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    I remember when Facebook first came out. I always wondered why anybody would want to make such fools of themselves online, and using their real (supposedly...) names, too! I have no interest in being contacted with losers from high school I didn't like back then, or seeing pic of your homely offspring, either. I don't care where you went on vacation, or what you ate for dinner last night, and I never will. I never saw a reason to join, and I still don't.
    I don't get it either. Why do people post every mundane detail of their boring lives on the internet? Why do they post pictures of their food? Eat that food before it gets cold!

Proud luddite
    I don't get it either. Why do people post every mundane detail of their boring lives on the internet? Why do they post pictures of their food? Eat that food before it gets cold!
    I make money off of Facebook. The Russians paid me a bundle to rig the election! 🙂

Sweet Potato Kugel
    This is more for the OG Lownjers who may remember me from 6-7 years ago.
    Shame. Loved your posts and videos. I was riding 8-9,000 miles a year. Understood the dedication. I started to ride a bicycle before anyone wanted to connect or sync with the mundane. We rode to inspire and to improve each other before a "replay."

Best to you.

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Shame. Loved your posts and videos. I was riding 8-9,000 miles a year. Understood the dedication. I started to ride a bicycle before anyone wanted to connect or sync with the mundane. We rode to inspire and to improve each other before a "replay."

Best to you.
    I still ride, and I still have a GoPro recording at all times just in case I see something cool, but even then I try to keep things short and sweet if I make any kind of video. I no longer make those climb videos like I used to, and I deleted Strava and Garmin Connect years ago too. Now I just ride local, as I just can't get motivated to travel for rides anymore. I grew weary of having to drive to ride. I'd rather just jump on my bike and ride around town and not have to deal with traffic.

Part of the reason for all these changes is drama and other BS from certain cyclists in my area. Their actions turned me off so much that I haven't ridden my road bike in months. I just ride my recumbent trike around town. It's much more comfortable and safe anyway, especially with some of the crappy pavement we have.

If you want to see the stuff I uploaded after I deleted my YouTube channel years ago you can look here: https://www.pinkbike.com/u/freighttraininguphill/ I don't post there anymore, but the old stuff will stay there.

a real member's member
    this is just part of living through the time we're living through. i too got on the ... well, not facebook bandwagon, but flickr. i was somewhat addicted to capturing images and sharing them. i sold a couple photos and thought i was was good ... for about a week. now i only take pics of my new bike builds. refurbishing classics still turns me on. photo sharing, not so much.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    To this day, I am hard pressed to leave the house without a camera of some type. For me, it's a combination of documentation and bearing witness.

Imagine if ancient Egyptians and their slaves had documented building the pyramids on Facebook. Don't be too tainted by much of the banality... it still tells a story for future (and I mean thousands of years from now) generations... where they came from and how they got here. Most of our knowledge from the past comes from scraps of lives (excavating a trash pit to learn how neolithic Native Americans lived), not great documents!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    I still enjoy photography and videography. My phone has a great camera, and I use a GoPro Hero5 Session on my helmet while riding. I also carry a standard 1080p camcorder with optical zoom for those times where you need zoom to capture something interesting, like the baby barn owls high up in a palm tree a few months ago and the raccoon family with the mother helping one of the babies across a roof.

I just don't post any of this stuff anymore. It's nice not having to worry about whether people will enjoy whatever footage I capture, or whether somebody will be offended. I also don't have to spend hours editing video anymore since I'm not documenting group rides or races like I used to.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Just do it!

Last edited by Eretz; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:54 AM.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

RoadBikeReview Member
    As Norm MacDonald once said, "It used to be, 'hey ya wanna see a photo of my great-grandfather?' A hundred years from now, it'll be "ya wanna see 100,000 photos of my great-grandfather?"

Used to go everywhere with my film camera, now I'm too worried about lugging around my DSLR since my husband's got the smart phone on him during every adventure. We can take good photos with that. The GoPro footage takes a bunch of time to upload, especially the longer videos. Could use a more practical "dash" cam for the bike.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    I break for a commercial

on how we grew up with a lynx thinking it was just a cat on our farm. This is pretty close to the real thing.

-

Non non normal
    I remember making the decision when we went to Europe, only to take the phone to take pictures. Let's be honest, there isn't really much difference in quality unless you are trying to do something special like zoom or subject contrast.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    I'm perfectly satisfied with the quality of the photos I take with my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7), so that's the only still camera I carry. However, I hardly ever see anything worth taking a picture of anymore, especially since I deleted Facebook last night (finally!). Even when I had it I only shared stuff I thought people would actually want to see.

I also prefer to ride solo nowadays because the people I ride with want to stop all the time to take selfies (which I want no part of!). This time of year I prefer to ride continuously to stay warm, and even in the summer I don't like stopping all the time. I get a much better workout with constant effort.

It took me all day yesterday to delete all my posts and comments from Facebook before I hit the delete button, but it was worth it! I'd rather do the deleting myself than wait for Facebook to do it.
    Last edited by freighttraininguphill; 1 Week Ago at 03:03 PM.