I r an idjut and nearly got scammed
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shirtcocker

I r an idjut and nearly got scammed

I just nearly got scammed. I get an automated call and it says that my debit card has been compromised and they want to know whether I want to reissue it. I'm busy, but sounds legit. I put in my card # and figured I'd be transferred to a real person who would be able to take care of it. Nope...they just ask for more info so I get suspicious and hang up. I call the credit union and cancel the card immediately. Now I have to go in and get a new card. I is an idjut.

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Captain Obvious
    better to catch it now rather than later.
    And it just hurts in the very best way possible without a high priced dominatrix.---Ronsonic

I'm pretty confident that I've pissed off several dozen random strangers on the internet tonight.---Creakyknees

disclaimer---I make sh!t up as I go along.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by tomk96
    better to catch it now rather than later.
    I guess I just feel stupid for even thinking it might have been legit. Credit card companies don't just call you up on the phone for stuff like this do they? Guessing they'd make me call them after denying my card to make sure I was calling from the same number the card was issued from. But yeah...at least I figured it out now rather than later the hard way.

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Proud luddite
    I've heard similar stories and the rule of thumb is that when you receive a call like that, the calling party (credit card company, bank, etc.) should already know your account number. If they call you and have to ask for any numbers, hang up on them and call the company yourself to see if it was a scam.

Honey Smack!
    Dr. Hoo is on the prowl.
    I know we just met and this is crazy....

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    I guess I just feel stupid for even thinking it might have been legit. Credit card companies don't just call you up on the phone for stuff like this do they?
    Citibank does, but they wouldn't ask for my card number. They'd ask for my phone pin (not ATM pin, but a separate pin that I use when I phone in) or some other piece of info to verify who I was.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Back from the dead
    Credit card companies don't just call you up on the phone for stuff like this do they?
    We signed up for a new card a few weeks ago. The cards come, we start using them, then they stop working. There's a message on the answering machine from the card company. Call them back, and they say they put a hold on the card because there was "activity" on them. We go through the charges, and they are all legit. Card company says we do this to protect you, yada yada yada. I'm thinking, you sent us the card, we used the card, and you put a hold on the card because we used it? What were we supposed to do, just sit around and admire it??? Credit card companies are stupid.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb
    I've heard similar stories and the rule of thumb is that when you receive a call like that, the calling party (credit card company, bank, etc.) should already know your account number. If they call you and have to ask for any numbers, hang up on them and call the company yourself to see if it was a scam.
    that's what alerted me that it was a scam. Asking for your card # is no big deal in general, but when they start asking for more than that....RED FLAG.

Born from JortsŪ
    DAMN YOU!!!

All I wanted was a new Rapha wardrobe

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    Yeah it was probably niagra cycles scamming a bike repair stand
    Just fast enough to know I am slow.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by jupiterrn
    Yeah it was probably niagra cycles scamming a bike repair stand
    Yup...they were gonna get that $300 out of me however they could.

Strained coccyx etc etc
    flatbar.
    One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

Cat 6 rider
    I just nearly got scammed. I get an automated call and it says that my debit card has been compromised and they want to know whether I want to reissue it. I'm busy, but sounds legit. I put in my card # and figured I'd be transferred to a real person who would be able to take care of it. Nope...they just ask for more info so I get suspicious and hang up. I call the credit union and cancel the card immediately. Now I have to go in and get a new card. I is an idjut.

I love it. Your debit card has been compromised- but we don't know its number Scammers count on finding someone too busy to think about it. Glad you caught it.

For those who don't know, always initiate a call where your personal info will be discussed, no matter how legit it sounds. If it didn't sound legit they'd never pull off the scam.
    To the troll mobile, away...

I want a Road Bike :)
    "Hi, I'm a Nigerian prince which need to move money and I found you BJ2 to be the perfect person for this, I'm going to send you 1 GigaBazillion beets...."

Seriously, good to find out in time, than getting a surprise later
    poast count +1
    But .... a long NNC session and jerkin' the gherkin to some old-school pr0n... not necessarily in that order. Much cheaper than H&B. JustTooBig
    mtymxdh is right... you have been scammed my dear. Creakyknees

hello
    Say No To Debit Cards!

Just carry one credit card only and pay in full each month.
    SurlySteamrollerLitespeedClassicBianchiPista
    DeanColonelSurlyLongHaulTruckerKonaKu
    LitespeedFirenzeCinelliOlympic

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by roadfix
    Say No To Debit Cards!

Just carry one credit card only and pay in full each month.
    I only generally use it when I need cash after bank hours at an ATM. Anyway...went to the bank and they gave me a new card and I got a new PIN. Lesson learned.

I want a Road Bike :)
    what's wrong with debit cards?

If you explain, I'll be very thankful, because I my debit every chance I can... almost never carry cash in the wallet
    poast count +1
    But .... a long NNC session and jerkin' the gherkin to some old-school pr0n... not necessarily in that order. Much cheaper than H&B. JustTooBig
    mtymxdh is right... you have been scammed my dear. Creakyknees

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by mtymxdh

If you explain, I'll be very thankful, because I my debit every chance I can... almost never carry cash in the wallet
    In general they don't offer the protections or bennies of credit cards. I'd never use a debit card for an online purchase.

hello
    Quote Originally Posted by mtymxdh

Also, because money in your checking account can be fraudulently wiped out and it can be days before the bank can apply credit. Meanwhile, you have little or no funds in your checking account and checks you wrote are bouncing left and right.
    SurlySteamrollerLitespeedClassicBianchiPista
    DeanColonelSurlyLongHaulTruckerKonaKu
    LitespeedFirenzeCinelliOlympic

gazing from the shadows
    In general they don't offer the protections or bennies of credit cards. I'd never use a debit card for an online purchase.

Also, if someone drains your account, you don't have money until it is straightened out. If someone runs up charges on a CC, your money is still in the bank while the CC company deals with the fraud.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

gazing from the shadows
    I'm really, really glad you realized it immediately. No harm done, that's the important thing.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Banned forever.....or not
    Did they ask what color underpants you were wearing?
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Misfit Toy
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY
    Did they ask what color underpants you were wearing?
    You got that call too? They told me it was a special survey. I still can't understand why they told me to stand in front of the window.
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Company stopped my card while I was in Central America. Complained. They said I had charges being made in Central America so they called me at home. Getting no response, they turned off the card.

DUH!

Poseur
    If you're going out of the country, always call the CC company and tell them when you're going, where you're going and when you're returning. Then they won't turn it off.
    I like cats, I just can't finish a whole one by myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast