Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    First, thanks everybody for the kind words and suggestions. Now an update on the old boy. It seems at least for now that I, and the vet, were a bit premature in thinking he was ready to call it done. He's doing remarkably well right now, though still a bit weak and of course, still an old guy. Seems I was correct in assuming he must have been drinking some even though I wasn't seeing it. The vet said he was maybe a little dehydrated but nothing serious as long as he continued drinking.

As I mentioned before, I started giving him raw egg whites on Monday and he was eating them. I gave him more on Tuesday morning and he ate those. By Tuesday evening, he was looking at where his food bowl usually is and meowing so I tried, as suggested above, mixing his favorite food with an egg white and warm water until it was almost like broth and he ate that. He's now back up to eating an entire can of food a day and I've cut out the egg whites.

Turns out he did have a problem in his mouth that he's currently getting antibiotics for. They thought he'd be more comfy at home since he's eating and drinking and not dehydrated as long as I was comfy with that. So at home he is. He has to go back next week to have that checked and see if any kind of work is going to have to be done. So I'm not calling him in the clear but I honestly thought my next update was going to be a RIP post so we'll see how thing go.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LWP View Post
    I honestly thought my next update was going to be a RIP post so we'll see how thing go.
    I'm certain that anybody following would have reacted as I did with an "Oh, NO".

But instead find just terrific news.

Thx for the update.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    I'm very happy to hear the progress, LWP. You're a great friend to the old boy. Keep up the good work.

Last Friday, neighbor texted me that his gurl had a tumor and went fast. I wrote back saying how sorry we were and that I'd send him all the photos over the years we took while she seconded homed with us. Here's one she was noted after a long week commuting to work and chain cleaning while checking for glass working into the tread on rainy rough roads.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

Sweet Potato Kugel
    You gotta post some photos of him. /must
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

RoadBikeReview Member
    SO relieved LWP!!! Was nervous about the update, but am thrilled. Was even telling my husband about Crash.

Eretz- that photo is gorgeous, and the cat's family will love seeing them. RIP fluffy bike-friendly tuxedo.

gazing from the shadows
    Turns out he did have a problem in his mouth that he's currently getting antibiotics for.
    Good!

Cats are very reluctant to show weakness, so figuring out what is bothering them can take some effort. I'm glad you were able to see what was going on, because likely no one else would! Well done, and enjoy your time with the old man.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well done on you for following your instincts. Go go cat!
    We just have a stray hanging around our house since last week and with three kids in the house that cat lucked out as far as getting attention goes. We put up "found cat posters" but I finally gave the little bastard some food (we had been giving it water as it's very hot) after 5 days of constant friggin meowing so if no one claims her I guess staying with us, (till she runs away to some other house with friendlier men).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I think our little old man has decided he's had enough.-img_2230.jpg   I think our little old man has decided he's had enough.-img_2231.jpg  

Darling of The Lounge
    It's good to see a sick pet thread with a positive outcome.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    This little guy's been claiming our yard for a year and been getting fed since last November. He doesn't wander far and seems to have come to an understanding that he doesn't need to go wander and get into fights, etc.... He's now at the point where he will eat while I sit longside and occasionally stroke his back. He was howling at me this morning for his breakfast as he missed dinner last night

I struggle knowing I should trap and release with no expectation of his ever developing trust to come close. His personality seems mellow enough that I hope he can be partially domesticated, even though I know that's unlikely after a few weeks as a kitten.I think our little old man has decided he's had enough.-spooky.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2013
    Cats are adorable and they are low maintenance. Maybe you should also adopt a new one so your Chase has a buddy and can teach the new one how to be a part of your family.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by sneertough View Post
    Cats are adorable and they are low maintenance. Maybe you should also adopt a new one so your Chase has a buddy and can teach the new one how to be a part of your family.
    20 is pretty old, and generally speaking cats that old don't like change. 4-5 years ago, sure, but now might not be a good time. 20 is almost 100 in human terms. When you are pushing 100 will you want a toddler jumping on your head?

But two new cats who can play with each other while the old man watches....

Boobies!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    This little guy's been claiming our yard for a year and been getting fed since last November. He doesn't wander far and seems to have come to an understanding that he doesn't need to go wander and get into fights, etc.... He's now at the point where he will eat while I sit longside and occasionally stroke his back. He was howling at me this morning for his breakfast as he missed dinner last night

I struggle knowing I should trap and release with no expectation of his ever developing trust to come close. His personality seems mellow enough that I hope he can be partially domesticated, even though I know that's unlikely after a few weeks as a kitten.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spooky.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	188.0 KB 
ID:	323235
    If you and Kiiwisimon can get access to a cage, it would be a kindness to trap your little friends and take them in to be fixed just to keep the population from exploding. If you look, you may even find a local group that will help underwrite the cost and/or a local vet who is willing to do the same.

Feral cats with people exposure can adapt mostly to being people cats--especially if they have had human contact early. Our Mr, Casey (who adopted us in a similar fashion) seemed to adapt pretty well to being a house cat, but he may have been a stray that lived rough for a while. Now his favorite thing to do is sit in the doorway--watch nature not be in it! When we first succumbed to his pleas, we did find a local Cat Rescue group that arranged to get him fixed, and then we were going to foster him--but he never left.
    "A man is judged by the company he keeps, and a company is judged by the men it keeps, and the people of Democratic nations are judged by the type and caliber of officers they elect."
    William J.H. Boetcker

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    If you and Kiiwisimon can get access to a cage, it would be a kindness to trap your little friends and take them in to be fixed just to keep the population from exploding. If you look, you may even find a local group that will help underwrite the cost and/or a local vet who is willing to do the same.

Feral cats with people exposure can adapt mostly to being people cats--especially if they have had human contact early.
    This guy seems to be a complete feral in that a year ago when he was establishing our yard as his territory, he would bolt from view if we encountered him in the yard and we never got within 50ft. Today is hanging around, waiting to be fed, will sniff my hand, comes right up to eat, meow's at us, etc.... That progress makes me reluctant to do the trap, neuter and release as I know I'd never get back that trust. If I don't get anywhere in terms of his starting to understand affection, I will before winter comes, trap.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sneertough View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    20 is pretty old, and generally speaking cats that old don't like change. 4-5 years ago, sure, but now might not be a good time. 20 is almost 100 in human terms. When you are pushing 100 will you want a toddler jumping on your head?

But two new cats who can play with each other while the old man watches....
    There are 2 other cats here. A stray my wife took in about 8 year ago and one of her babies she had in the oven when my wife took her in. The deal was she'd find homes for them all and she did... except one she mysteriously was unable to find a home for that just happened to be her favorite of the bunch. But at the risk of being a disappointment, this is the end of the line for cats in the LWP house. They're family and they'll be well cared for and have a good home for as long as they and I are alive but my wife was the cat person in the family, there will be no replacements when they're gone.
    - 10ae1203

RoadBikeReview Member
    We had a reply to our found cat poster. The cat disappeared from a ladies balcony (about 3kms away) 6 months ago! She was very happy to see the cat but TBH the cat could have cared less.Seemed pissed at having to leave. Cats are like that, what have you done for me lately? Anyway the kids did a good dead and hopefully they learnt something about being responsible citizens and animal welfare at the same time. My wife and I are a touch relieved. Kids will be leaving the house in 5 yrs or so.

RoadBikeReview Member
    all you cat freaks, https://www.npr.org/sections/picture...death-of-a-pet may yours all live and contented lives, people too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    all you cat freaks, https://www.npr.org/sections/picture...death-of-a-pet may yours all live and contented lives, people too.
    It took me 2 days to get thru this. Part of the problem was Isis looks a lot like my 10 yr. old Cookie, thus close to home. I've a just-about-to-turn 16 yr. old (next week 'ish), so treasure this. My wife couldn't read it.

Thanks for sharing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    It took me 2 days to get thru this.
    Thanks for sharing.
    I almost signed up for insta to thank her for the series. Second last picture's comment got me... Which is why we look at art I think. I wanna feel something..... that's what it is all about........connection.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    SO relieved LWP!!! Was nervous about the update, but am thrilled. Was even telling my husband about Crash.

Eretz- that photo is gorgeous, and the cat's family will love seeing them. RIP fluffy bike-friendly tuxedo.
    I could never understand people who don't capture precious moments with friend, family and feline. She stuck to me like a pot de colle.

-

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    I'm appreciative of the extra time we've had with Crash but I'm sad to report that he's taken another turn for the worse. He had a seizure this morning. I was at work but my daughter was here and saw it. He's had three more since then, so four in the last 6 hours. He's never had a seizure before ever. He just seems really tired as well. I'm not an expert but I've had enough pets to feel pretty sure he's shutting down.

Orange Dude...

Comfy Orange Dude...

Glowing Orange Dude...

I left a message at the vet's office, of course this had to happen on the one weekend a month they take their mobile unit to one of the small surrounding communities, so hopefully I'll hear back from them but I don't think I will until Monday. I'm not convinced he'll make it that long. As bad as I feel for saying it, I'm honestly hoping he just goes to sleep and slips away. I hate seeing him go through this and he really hates car trips. It's an hour trip to the vet and he's always got super-stressed and freaked out over car trips even when he was young and healthy. I really don't want to put him through that right now if I don't have to. Just really heart-breaking watching him go through the seizures and there's nothing I can do but let him get through it. He seems to appreciate the petting and comforting I give him once it's over though. He's pretty blind so I just want to be sure he knows he's not alone.
    - 10ae1203

half-fast
    Rocky and I send our thoughts

gazing from the shadows
    ...of course this had to happen on the one weekend ...
    Yep, when it happened to me, Friday night.

It's very hard, I know, I've been in exactly that situation. All I can offer as a comfort is this. When pets go to the vet, but their people can't/won't be there at the end, vets say the pet looks for their owner in the final minutes.

You are there, he knows that, he appreciates it. Be there, it helps, no matter how much it hurts you.

I am sorry you all have to go through this. I wish I could do more, but this is just one of those times life really, really sucks and all you can do is ride it out.

gazing from the shadows
    Yep, when it happened to me, Friday night.

It's very hard, I know, I've been in exactly that situation.
    To clarify. Friday night stroke, we were faced with transport or ride it out. For reasons similar to yours, we chose to ride it out, with her on the bathroom floor.

It was very hard, but we feel we made the right call for a better end for her. So do what you think is right, you probably are.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 10ae1203 View Post
    Rocky and I send our thoughts

Thanks. I appreciate it.

To clarify. Friday night stroke, we were faced with transport or ride it out. For reasons similar to yours, we chose to ride it out, with her on the bathroom floor.

It was very hard, but we feel we made the right call for a better end for her. So do what you think is right, you probably are.
    Thanks. Yeah, he doesn't seem to be in pain. Just seems really tired and weak. He's only had two seizures today and he took some egg white mixed with water a couple hours ago. He may actually be having more seizures than I think though. I've seen him doing some minor twitching now and then but not the violent attacks he was having yesterday so I'm not sure if it was seizures or just random twitching. Either way, I'm hoping he can pass peacefully here at home but I can't let him go on like this for too long so I'm going to have a tough decision to make if he keeps hanging on.
    - 10ae1203

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    One last post just to say goodbye and rest in peace to Crash. He was a strong boy and put up a good fight. I'm going to miss him.
    - 10ae1203

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast