I will not buy a new bike. I will not buy a new bike. Oh look, a new bike!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Jerkhard Sirdribbledick

I will not buy a new bike. I will not buy a new bike. Oh look, a new bike!

I think I've mentioned this before, but we moved back in early December (just three days before we had a baby ... oy!), and since then my commutes have jumped up to 20- to 25-mile round trip deals. And in addition to the mileage, I hop on a bus to take me over the hill to and from the valley. But occasionally the bus will have both spots filled on the bike rack, so I'm forced to wait for the next bus (and hope its rack isn't filled as well).

My two commuters are a fixed and a Soma Double Cross that is decked out as more of a cruiser. Neither is good for climbing. So I decided to build a fast commuter that not only will get me from point-A to point-B more quickly than my other commuters, but will also give me the option of riding over the hill to/from the valley.

I was debating between another Soma and some other frames, until I saw the "color of the month" from Gunnar. "Bamboo with Vanilla Panels." Oh Billy. The moment I saw a pic, it was a done deal.

About a month later and the requisite amount of Fail during the build, and I finally have a new bike.

Mad props to lemonlime, who basically did the entire build for me. (The Fails were not his fault.) Though I have to say I'm a f-ing wizard with a chain tool.

Gonna take her for a spin tomorrow, and my maiden commute will be on Friday.

Oh, and I will be leaving it locked up from time to time, though never for very long and not with any regularity. Nevertheless, expect a "Someone stole my Gunnar" thread in a few weeks.

We haven't furnished the living room yet so I used it as a makeshift studio. And by studio I mean flash and overhead lights and a distracting background. It sucked, but whatevs.

Brooks tape. Chris King headset. Thomson stem.

Brooks honey Swallow. Started as the saddle for my IF, but it didn't look right with all the white and silver. So switched it out for a black Swallow. Then instead of returning the honey Swallow I stuck it on my Milwaukee commuter. Now it's on this. I'd love to buy a new one, but they've gotten crazy expensive.

Shimano XTR pedals. On sale at my LBS for $120. W00t.

Tubus Airy rear rack. This thing is amazing. Feather-light but can hold like 70 pounds or something. Also, Ksyrium Elite wheels courtesy of EverydayRide, perfect for my tubeless tires, which I don't need because no one else flats.

Found a seatpost collar to match the headset. Gathering parts for a build is truly one of my favorite things to do.

Deda "Supernatural" bar. Note the clean cable-routing of the Shimano Ultegra gruppo, even though "One doesn't ride a commuter bike for speed, nor efficiency. Its for point to point motivation." I must be retraded.

I took some pics before the build.

A nice surprise to see the engraving on the dropouts.

I initially bought Paul brakes; turns out the arms were a bit too long so they didn't work out. Bummer. They were beautiful. Though before I knew they wouldn't work, we figured out that I'd need hangers for the cables, and I wasn't thrilled with how that would look.

King stainless steel bottle cages. I'm using Klean Kanteen bottles on this, and those don't work well with the Nittos (or the Arundels that I bought).

What a shame.

I think he approves.
    Last edited by DrRoebuck; 03-03-2010 at 01:02 AM.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Born from JortsŪ
    first!

We're no better than mice
    Super sweet!

your baby ...and the bike too!

Great choice of colours!

eminence grease
    So the kid's higher education has been downgraded from MIT to Cal State Pomona?

Nice color, I may have to buy one too.
    You'd be better off with a netbook, they do everything better.

My travel blog: http://tbaroundtheworld.blogspot.com

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by terry b
    So the kid's higher education has been downgraded from MIT to Cal State Pomona?
    Hahaha. At this point he's looking at community college. Hell, his pops went to one.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by EverydayRide
    Great choice of colours!
    The black-spoked wheels go great with the rest of it. Excellent choice!
    -- Gut

I luv riding in WA
    Jan 2002
    Very nice. Yeah, the bike's OK too.

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck
    . Hell, his pops went to one.
    We're supposed to advance the next generation.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    We're supposed to advance the next generation.
    In that case, I'll tell him to aim for a C-average.
    -- Gut

eminence grease
    In that case, I'll tell him to aim for a C-average.
    Hmmm. I think that would count.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Hmmm. I think that would count.
    After I cross-post this thread in Bikes/Frames/Forks, the standard for this generation will be even lower.
    -- Gut

We're no better than mice
    After I cross-post this thread in Bikes/Frames/Forks, the standard for this generation will be even lower.
    I see you ride similar to me in seat height v. handle bar height. I ride with a 15lb - plus nap sack on my commutes. My bars are buried with three spacers stacked. Week end rides I re-stack the spacers to the top of the stem and drop the stem to the headset. Incredible handling differences having the stem buried to the head set without a nap sack over my back.. I'm amazed that you ride with the stem that buried for a "commuter."

What are the frame angles and size?

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by EverydayRide
    I see you ride similar to me in seat height v. handle bar height. I ride with a 15lb - plus nap sack on my commutes. My bars are buried with three spacers stacked. Week end rides I re-stack the spacers to the top of the stem and drop the stem to the headset. Incredible handling differences having the stem buried to the head set without a nap sack over my back.. I'm amazed that you ride with the stem that buried for a "commuter."

What are the frame angles and size?
    It's a size 56.

Those pics make the saddle seem much higher than it is. Because of back problems and crotch numbness, I normally keep the bars only a couple inches lower than my saddle.

And I have a rear rack on all my commuters so I don't have to carry any weight on my back/shoulders. I've used Chromes and Timbuktus and backpacks and whatever else, but nothing is better than putting all that crap somewhere else.
    -- Gut

What the Hell is going on
    What?
    No fenders = 'nother Fail my friend.

I keed. Really sweet ride.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

half-fast
    Supernatural, indeed. Very nice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oooh, a little bit of bike pr0n in the morning with my coffee. Great way to start the day.

Simply Gorgeous. Love the seatpost collar and the headset.

And yeah, cute little tricycle motor, too.
    I'm rockin' the suburbs, just like Quiet Riot did.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    That is sweet........I love the color too......
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Purdy! lovely photos too!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    awesome. great job
    Fighting C ystic F ibrosis with C arbon F iber
    Learn More about CF here: www.cff.org

had it in the ear before
    Hey Amanda.78!
    you might as well have gone to Taco Bell and had a Zima while dropping a blotter and snorting Tabasco. OMFG. ~ttug

RoadBikeReview Member
    Awesome bike, cute kid, and great choice in pedals. Nice!

Ricardo Cabeza
    cool bike man
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

What the what???

Thumbs up

Excellent choices and a beautiful build. Congrats! Plus, I have to say those are some of the nicest photos of a bike I've ever seen. Well done.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

waterproof*
    seat's too high!!!!!!!!!

hellooo?

jeebus.

/ nice bike.
    * not actually a Rock Star

corning my own beef
    great build, Roe!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast