If Tarantino did philosophical movies.
    gazing from the shadows

If Tarantino did philosophical movies.

Republic Dogs. Staring Thrasymachus, Socrates, Alcibiades and Aristotle

http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.ed...blic-dogs.html

Strong language, violence, but all in words no pictures. And of course mit.edu must be work safe, right?
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by dr hoo

Strong language, violence, but all in words no pictures. And of course mit.edu must be work safe, right?
    that's the version of The Republic they should teach. Socrates?...Aristotle? Oh yeah those crazy M-f'ers!
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

If You See Kay
    Whew, that stuff came from MIT. Too high-brow for the Deek to handle.

However, if you want an awsome Tarantino movie (IMnsHO), try "Hero" with Jet Li. I don't want to give it away, but make sure you watch it on the best quality TV you can. It is perhaps the most visually impressive movie I have seen in a long, long time.

There is great beauty in simplicity, let me say that.

Deek

It ain't no average Jet Li flick either.
    "The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese"--unknown

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by DeaconBlues
    Whew, that stuff came from MIT. Too high-brow for the Deek to handle.

However, if you want an awsome Tarantino movie (IMnsHO), try "Hero" with Jet Li. I don't want to give it away, but make sure you watch it on the best quality TV you can. It is perhaps the most visually impressive movie I have seen in a long, long time.

There is great beauty in simplicity, let me say that.

Deek

It ain't no average Jet Li flick either.
    totally diff kind of movie, but did you see Kung Fu Hustle? Laughed my a$$ off at that. Like watching real actors as looney tunes characters in a kung fu movie.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

If You See Kay
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    totally diff kind of movie, but did you see Kung Fu Hustle? Laughed my a$$ off at that. Like watching real actors as looney tunes characters in a kung fu movie.
    No, but I'll keep it in mind as winter approaches. Is is a parody of martial arts flicks?

Deek

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by DeaconBlues
    No, but I'll keep it in mind as winter approaches. Is is a parody of martial arts flicks?

Deek
    kind of...the cinemetography is what is so funny though. you'll dig it.

confirmed masher
    market's too saturated with chinese movies... especially when they can all be obtained by bootleg long before they come out in theatres in North America.

Notice that they are all going the artsy direction now? back in the early 90's it was all action

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by OneGear
    market's too saturated with chinese movies... especially when they can all be obtained by bootleg long before they come out in theatres in North America.

Notice that they are all going the artsy direction now? back in the early 90's it was all action
    have you seen KFH? Nothing arty about it. Very slapstick and original.

confirmed masher
    have you seen KFH? Nothing arty about it. Very slapstick and original.
    No, I used to watch all his movies but stopped following that scene,.. last i saw was Shaolin soccer. Is it any good?

Shirtcocker
    No, I used to watch all his movies but stopped following that scene,.. last i saw was Shaolin soccer. Is it any good?
    Well I thought it was pretty funny and I'm not even a huge Kung Fu genre fan. Haven't seen Shaolin Soccer, but the guy I was watching it with talked about that and compared it favorably to KFH. The "old lady" in it was priceless.

confirmed masher
    Well I thought it was pretty funny and I'm not even a huge Kung Fu genre fan. Haven't seen Shaolin Soccer, but the guy I was watching it with talked about that and compared it favorably to KFH. The "old lady" in it was priceless.
    Hmm, ok I might pick it up sometime. Do you understand chinese? because shaolin soccer is hilarious in chinese.

Shirtcocker
    Hmm, ok I might pick it up sometime. Do you understand chinese? because shaolin soccer is hilarious in chinese.
    nope...and I assume the movie would have taken on another dimension if I had. I watched it with dubbed American voices. Still enjoyed it quite a bit though.

confirmed masher
    haha, yeah the subtitles in the early 90s were hiarlous to read, even more enjoyable to read than watching the movie itself :P what other flicks you like?

If You See Kay

"The Scent Of Green Papaya" from Viet Nam. I guess it was good, I don't know. It was short on words an long on imagry. The GF dug it, though. I think it's a love story. Forbidden love, perhaps.

Deek

Genitive Declensioner
    Quote Originally Posted by dr hoo

funny stuff.....brought back fond memories of college....'cept for a dropped class my last quarter I woulda had a minor in Phil.
    Big Fan of the Callipygian Way
    "The collards tore my wife's stomach up and with her being pregnant and constipated it made for a smelly ride to the cabin in north Georgia." -gut
    "The term "steeping" brings to mind "tea-bagging" and, on far too many levels, I'm simply not comfortable with that." -antonio_b
    "People think maggots are a bad thing, but I'll bet they ate most of the feces he has been sitting in for the last two years. Go maggots! -Mohair