If you drive an expensive car you're probably a jerk, scientists say - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    Well put man. Totally agree. Driving without a license? Jail for a year. Asshools will start to learn.
    Almost every night on the news you year about people being stopped for 4th or 5th or 6th drunk driving citation and driving without a license.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sure, cars are status symbols, also definitely identity extensions. I see lots of Lexus SUVs particularly, driven by arrogants who think they own the road. Mercedes drivers are considerably more polite here in NVA, and just about any city I've driven in. Why that is, I imagine Mercedes drivers think they've arrived and have nothing to prove.

I drove a succession of modestly priced cars, each with engineering shortcomings, and finally settled on a well maintained 10 year old Mercedes 190E with 145,000 miles on it for $5000. Such fun! Command the road up to 100 mph, not bounce around uncertainly. Repairs turned out to be about the same as the old Dodge Dart, VW Dasher, and Toyota Tercel, thanks to a German mechanic nearby who loved the brand. Reluctantly traded it in blowing smoke and fouling the plugs, at 203,000 miles and 20 years old. I wish I still had it. It handled with confidence and the little 4 banger kicked ass.

So 9 years ago, paid $12,000 for a mid sized Mercedes with 4 wheel drive and essential computer functions standard in 2001. I maintained it about the same as any car, replacing rubber bushings and a stuck rear window regulator, tires and oil change. It had 45,000 miles on it, the same as Toyotas and Hondas at the same price, now has 91,000 miles, almost 50,000 miles in luxury, decent mileage, 27 mpg @ 75 mph average speed. It was my daily driver for 5 years, and now sits in the parking lot hooked up to a battery trickle charger awaiting the twice monthly runs to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. Trips out west are a song, exactly what this Benz is designed for. I sometimes feel aggressive driving it, its so much fun, and occasionally get in trouble, but miraculously never lost control and crashed it.

I don't think I'm arrogant, anymore than the average New Yorker, where I learned to drive. One can drive the good stuff without breaking the bank. Life is too short to not take advantage of the opportunity. I read stories of kids driving used top of the line Mercedes sticker priced above $50,000, like the one I bought, for a fraction of that.

Drive what makes you feel good, IMO. Life is short. Yes, drivers showing off their prizes get obnoxious all the time, but WTH, cars are an extension of the owners' personalities, Mercedes the same as Dodge Challengers, Toyota Camrys, whatever. It's a practical car, drivable on snowy roads, and comfortably loafs along at 28,000 rpm in 5th gear all day at 80mph, the unofficial speed limit on the interstates. The 190E 4 banger was fast, but oversteered at high speeds. 4 wheel drive doesn't do that. Previous cars, except the Cadillac Coup de Ville V-8 inherited from a grandmother the windows would no longer go down, handled poorly and ran hot above 70 mph.

Status? Who cares. I've never looked back and yeah, play greying senior, except I drive in cotton t-shirts, jeans and sneakers, like a regular guy. Had an Austin Healy in the early '70s, first car, 45,000 miles, $1200., and got lots more flak than today. Kids in their Mustangs and GTOs always challenged me at the stop lights. It was fun passing them in third as the next light turned green.

Driving is a game. NY drivers are traditionally competitive. LA, Dallas, Detroit, St. Louis, are worse. An expensive car might get more respect than a cheapie, but so what? Get in their way, and they have to avoid a crash. New Yorkers the last time I drove there seemed mellowed out, like here in DC, pretty much accepting the gridlock and doing the best they can. The more traffic, the easier it becomes, like in a bike race. The far right lane becomes the fastest in stop and go, but all the show offs get trapped in the left lane.

One of the best drivers I've ever ridden with is an Indian who knows how to negotiate passing other traffic, like back in Hyderabad. He never went slower than 80 on the interstates; in the city or out in the country, made no difference. He drove a used Saab, later a Honda. So much for status.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Sure, cars are status symbols, also definitely identity extensions. I see lots of Lexus SUVs particularly, driven by arrogants who think they own the road. Mercedes drivers are considerably more polite here in NVA, and just about any city I've driven in. Why that is, I imagine Mercedes drivers think they've arrived and have nothing to prove.

I drove a succession of modestly priced cars, each with engineering shortcomings, and finally settled on a well maintained 10 year old Mercedes 190E with 145,000 miles on it for $5000. Such fun! Command the road up to 100 mph, not bounce around uncertainly. Repairs turned out to be about the same as the old Dodge Dart, VW Dasher, and Toyota Tercel, thanks to a German mechanic nearby who loved the brand. Reluctantly traded it in blowing smoke and fouling the plugs, at 203,000 miles and 20 years old. I wish I still had it. It handled with confidence and the little 4 banger kicked ass.

So 9 years ago, paid $12,000 for a mid sized Mercedes with 4 wheel drive and essential computer functions standard in 2001. I maintained it about the same as any car, replacing rubber bushings and a stuck rear window regulator, tires and oil change. It had 45,000 miles on it, the same as Toyotas and Hondas at the same price, now has 91,000 miles, almost 50,000 miles in luxury, decent mileage, 27 mpg @ 75 mph average speed. It was my daily driver for 5 years, and now sits in the parking lot hooked up to a battery trickle charger awaiting the twice monthly runs to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. Trips out west are a song, exactly what this Benz is designed for. I sometimes feel aggressive driving it, its so much fun, and occasionally get in trouble, but miraculously never lost control and crashed it.

I don't think I'm arrogant, anymore than the average New Yorker, where I learned to drive. One can drive the good stuff without breaking the bank. Life is too short to not take advantage of the opportunity. I read stories of kids driving used top of the line Mercedes sticker priced above $50,000, like the one I bought, for a fraction of that.

Drive what makes you feel good, IMO. Life is short. Yes, drivers showing off their prizes get obnoxious all the time, but WTH, cars are an extension of the owners' personalities, Mercedes the same as Dodge Challengers, Toyota Camrys, whatever. It's a practical car, drivable on snowy roads, and comfortably loafs along at 28,000 rpm in 5th gear all day at 80mph, the unofficial speed limit on the interstates. The 190E 4 banger was fast, but oversteered at high speeds. 4 wheel drive doesn't do that. Previous cars, except the Cadillac Coup de Ville V-8 inherited from a grandmother the windows would no longer go down, handled poorly and ran hot above 70 mph.

Status? Who cares. I've never looked back and yeah, play greying senior, except I drive in cotton t-shirts, jeans and sneakers, like a regular guy. Had an Austin Healy in the early '70s, first car, 45,000 miles, $1200., and got lots more flak than today. Kids in their Mustangs and GTOs always challenged me at the stop lights. It was fun passing them in third as the next light turned green.

Driving is a game. NY drivers are traditionally competitive. LA, Dallas, Detroit, St. Louis, are worse. An expensive car might get more respect than a cheapie, but so what? Get in their way, and they have to avoid a crash. New Yorkers the last time I drove there seemed mellowed out, like here in DC, pretty much accepting the gridlock and doing the best they can. The more traffic, the easier it becomes, like in a bike race. The far right lane becomes the fastest in stop and go, but all the show offs get trapped in the left lane.

One of the best drivers I've ever ridden with is an Indian who knows how to negotiate passing other traffic, like back in Hyderabad. He never went slower than 80 on the interstates; in the city or out in the country, made no difference. He drove a used Saab, later a Honda. So much for status.
    The type of cars you love mirrors the types of bikes you love. 🙂 NTTAWWT.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Just like it is with bicycles, I just can't keep away from sporty, efficient, tightly constructed cars. Yeah, because they invite spirited driving, you can get impatient with folks in numbed up, hard to maneuver, hard-to-see-out-of boats.

And oh yeah. I loved the two Honda Civics I had in the 1970's and early 1980's. There's no question they were designed by enthusiasts. Diametrically different than a Toyota.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I don't know about cost per se but as anyone who watches a lot of sports on TV (thus suffers though a lot of car commercials) knows some brands/models make no bones about going after the jerk marketing and I see plenty of evidence they've been successful.
    Last edited by Jay Strongbow; 03-11-2020 at 04:11 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The main reason I posted this has more to do with informing fellow cyclists on to whom to watch out for than to judge drivers of expensive cars. In the same article, this was also said:

But he also found people with "conscientious" characters seek out pricey models, too.
    "People with this type of personality are, as a rule, respectable, ambitious, reliable and well-organised," the statement said. "They take care of themselves and their health and often perform well at work."

This just seems to contradict what the article title is suggesting. Perhaps it should be changed to "If you're a jerk, you're probably driving an expensive car"

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    I've been meaning to post this for weeks, but kept forgetting.

A couple of weeks before the "shelter at home" orders went into place I was walking home from work (still working - "essential serive") and crossing in a flagged crosswalk a major thoroughfare that is a multilane one-way street. The compact car in the lane closest to me stopped while I was still standing on the curb. As I was crossing, the black Yukon coming up behind that car swiftly changed lanes and then had to slam on the brakes when the driver noticed me waving frantically. She glared at me and yelled something but because her window was closed I have no idea what she said. I can imagine.

A week later I was driving home from some shopping and stopped at a light. There was a pedestrian crossing in the crosswalk who was nearly run over by a black Yukon turning into the street he was crossing. You guessed it - it was the same woman driver. She obviously has a such a sense of entitlement to the point that she does not even look for other road users.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Yukon drivers are the worst, if I see one coming I get out of their way or pick up a big rock so they can see what they are going to hit.
    BANNED

Banned forever.....or not
    Hogwash, I say...…..
    The article says:"with the likelihood they'll slow down decreasing by 3% for every extra $1,000 that their vehicle is worth."...…..Extra???
    People buy new cars, and they buy used cars....The average for both types is probably around $25,000.....Does this mean that if they buy a $35,000 car (new or used), they are 30% less likely to slow down???.....If they buy a $55,000 car, are they 90% less likely to slow???....Cost has nothing to do with it...….It's all about how fast and racy the car is. Does this article believe that owners of Lexus LS, or Mercedes S, or E class models spend their days spinning their tires, trying to show how tough they are?????
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12