If you drive an expensive car you're probably a jerk, scientists say
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

If you drive an expensive car you're probably a jerk, scientists say

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    There's a thread in PO on this article. It will be interesting to see how differently they progress.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I drive a run down 2011 Honda Fit. I must be a great guy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    meh, see plenty of people in all price ranges of vehicles being dumbasses...

take all of the 'spensive rides off the road and it's doubtful there be a noticeable reduction in jerkwad drivers.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

We're no better than mice
    I love your Campagnolo badge on your head tube/down tube/seat tube in this comment. Why not Suntour, vs Shimano, vs Sram?

Differences are costs.

As a teen ager you hope to have THAT fast car. As a college student you wish to have that notoriety of success. In business you warn between the edge of technolgy and not upsetting your constituents. I'm like you, a Buick.

Fawk that sheit. All your life you want a dream and finally you could afford it working toward a goal and it took years. So you bought a Raptor for $68,000 USD. And Fawk you, I worked my life for it.

#I'm A Farmer.

Life is what your dreams are made of. #StihlMS310

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by EverydayRide View Post
    I love your Campagnolo badge on your head tube/down tube/seat tube in this comment. Why not Suntour, vs Shimano, vs Sram?

Differences are costs.

As a teen ager you hope to have THAT fast car. As a college student you wish to have that notoriety of success. In business you warn between the edge of technolgy and not upsetting your constituents. I'm like you, a Buick.

Fawk that sheit. All your life you want a dream and finally you could afford it working toward a goal and it took years. So you bought a Raptor for $68,000 USD. And Fawk you, I worked my life for it.

#I'm A Farmer.

On the drunken rant scale from 0 to 10, I rate this one a 7.5

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ehh, I find most motorists to be jerks. Selfish, unskilled, impatient, lawless. I just wish here in the U.S. we had better enforcement, more ticketing, and much, much more stringent barriers to getting, and keeping, a license.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nayr497 View Post
    Ehh, I find most motorists to be jerks. Selfish, unskilled, impatient, lawless. I just wish here in the U.S. we had better enforcement, more ticketing, and much, much more stringent barriers to getting, and keeping, a license.
    No amount of enforcement will result in better drivers. Driving is more or less a right, not a privilege in the US. No license? No problem since you're likely no worse than someone with one as what it takes to get one is laughable. Want better drivers? How about some good'o behavioral modification, like start with replacing the driver's side airbag with a spike?

Master debator.
    I don't drive an expensive car (about $48,000 sticker) but I can be a jerk. I work in a college town that has a busy street running right through a college campus. The kids will literally just walk right across in front of you, and never look up from their phones. Even more annoying are the people that stop at every block, even if the kid is standing on the sidewalk not trying to cross. They think they are being nice by waving them across. I think they interrupt the flow of traffic, I only stop if they actually step out into the crosswalk off the sidewalk, as the law here states.

My car saved a little kid once already, I firmly believe. A child darted out from in between two parked cars, and my car hit the brakes a second before I would have. I'm all for technology if it does stuff like that.

And actually, adaptive cruise control and lane centering makes me less of a jerk, because I can look at Facebook while I'm driving and not spill my beer.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    On the drunken rant scale from 0 to 10, I rate this one a 7.5
    Actually, no alcohol. While reading the CNN website on the story there were a slew of playbacks on these recent debates. In all fairness, that was my best Joe Biden impression but I left out, "...leaning forward smelling the hair off the back of some young lady's neck."

The hash tags are a total failure. It needed more, Hey Man[s].

half-fast

#I'm A Farmer.

Yup .

gazing from the shadows
    Actually, the study would imply that you are MORE LIKELY TO BE a jerk, given that there are a lot of people who weren't jerks in all kinds of cars, so I doubt more than 1/2 drivers of lux cars are jerks (by definition of the study).
    Stout beers under trees, please.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    I don't drive an expensive car (about $48,000 sticker) ...
    Perhaps your money has distorted your perceptions?

That's about 75% of median household income in a year. Average new car price in the US is around 36k.

So I would say that is an expensive car by a lot of measures. Not super expensive, but expensive compared to the average income and car price.

BTW, it's also over half of what I paid for my house.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    I spent a little over a year valet parking at a hospital. During that time, my ass was in somewhere around 15,000 front seats. We fielded motorcades from VIP's, all the way down to cars that were in such disrepair that they were utterly terrifying to drive.

Having dealt with that many people, I think this line from the article perfectly encapsulates the sentiment:
    According to that survey of 1,892 drivers by the University of Helsinki, those deemed to have more disagreeable character traits were "more drawn to high-status cars."
    Straight up - there are jerks in all walks of life. If you think you've got something to prove; something to show the world how big and important you are, what better way than to drive a flashy, expensive car? Though, having said that, I think I personally had more negative interactions with poor "salt of the earth" type folks than I ever did with wealthy BMW drivers.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    That was my first reaction but as I read more of the post I came to assume Nooky was being sarcastic.

Master debator.
    I only paid 38k after rebates. I guess I'm used to the people around me paying waaay too much of their income as a percentage for their vehicles, there are a lot of 50k+ trucks running around here. Auto loans go out to 6 to 8 years now, so people are taking advantage of that. And those people are definitely not super rich, just over-extended.

That's about 75% of median household income in a year. Average new car price in the US is around 36k.

So I would say that is an expensive car by a lot of measures. Not super expensive, but expensive compared to the average income and car price.

"I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Hey, he admitted he can be a jerk. Science is never wrong.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    The title of the article is very misleading. Yes, the study found more expensive cars yielded to pedestrians less often than less expensive cars, but the actual car values are important:

Cars that yielded: $5,920 ± $4,670 (mean, standard deviation)
    Cars that didn't yield: $7,820 ± $6,530 (mean, standard deviation)

The vast majority of the cars in the study were well below the average cost of a new car in the U.S., so they're not even close to being expensive cars.

Frog Whisperer
    ALL new cars are expensive. Why when I was a teen, 50K would get you something with shingles and a foundation! Now it gets you a mid sized car off the showroom floor.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Particular when they wear a baseball cap backwards.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

Salaries were substantially smaller and interest rates much higher in the 70's. Now a day's having a $250 a month cable bill is thought as the norm. Folks cellular phone family plans can be higher then cable. That's sad.
    Last edited by EverydayRide; 03-01-2020 at 01:26 AM.

Frog Whisperer
    Salaries were substantially smaller and interest rates much higher in the 70's. Now a day's having a $250 a month cable bill is thought as the norm. Folks cellular phone family plans can be higher then cable. That's sad.
    cable???? what's that? we have zero access to both FAST internet (i get 15 mbps on a GOOD day) or cable and satellite is a no go in the woods I just barely have cell reception
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    You might want to rethink your statement there. Inflation has slightly outpaced the rise in salaries for everyone but those in the upper levels.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...d-for-decades/
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Okay, but what I want to know is, what does riding on super fancy wheels say about you?

Same for wheels as for cars?
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well put man. Totally agree. Driving without a license? Jail for a year. Asshools will start to learn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast