IMBA trail school (warning! MTB content) PICS fo' sho'
    RoadBikeReview Member

IMBA trail school (warning! MTB content) PICS fo' sho'

Vista of Philpott lake from the visitors center where we had our classroom instruction.

A motley looking class

Rich Edwards working the clineometer during our layout lesson.

Getting dirty doing the handwork

Here's an interesting bit of archeology we found in the woods. I bet not many of you ever find these. It's an old moonshine still. Interestingly enough, on the second weekend the topic of the still came up and some of the folks from the class actually knew who's still it was before it was destroyed. I live in an interesting place sometimes

The big class on the first day

The second weekend was all about the sk500. Here is one of them the trailer we actually had two of the machines on the job. One that IMBA rented, and a privately-owned one.

UNloading the beast

Learning to drive : we had a borrow pit that we could play in the first day without actually going into the woods and making trail. It was sort of a "sandbox" and was a real confidence builder

Actually pushing some dirt around

On Sunday, we actually got into the woods to build some trail with the sk500. First we had to transport both the machines about 3/4 of a mile back to the trailhead. Bushwhacking is a little nerve wracking, but a really good way to learn how to manuver the machine

Finally actually making trail. That's Ben Blitch on the controls showing us how it's done

We did some rock work too. This is an outcropping with a really nice view, a rare thing in our area because of the canopy cover..

Here's the beginnings of a crib wall around a rock outcropping

Here's the class on the final day. We were tired. I'm in the middle of the pic.

Now the work begins

Diphthong
    Using an SK500 is cheating.
    I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.

I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of $hit, man.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozer
    Using an SK500 is cheating.

The sk 500's mean we might actually get the project accomplished in my lifetime. We're working on 7000 acres and looking at perhaps as much as 100 miles of trail. There are plenty of places where we will hand build, including technical trails (black routes), I'm grooving on the DW's for allowing us to put in the greenies.

edit to add......of course, you're welcome to come out and swng a MacLeod any time

Diphthong
    Please forgive me my fit of jealousy. Here, in Colorado, we don't use them too often. The ground is too rocky and we don't like our trails 3ft wide.
    I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.

I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of $hit, man.