Importing photos from SD card to PC
    Devoid of all flim-flam

Importing photos from SD card to PC

You guys are my fount of knowledge. My Windows 10 doesn't seem to want to import some SD card photos to my desktop. I can get the photos onto that nightmare of a Windows 10 photo app, but getting the photos onto the desktop so I can post them onto websites just ain't happening for this Einsteinian genius. I bow in your general direction. But I won't patch one of your sew ups.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

gazing from the shadows
    Are you using the import function?

If so, try using file explorer and do an old fashioned cut and paste onto your hard drive.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Yeah, the website tells me to use the import function but none seems to exist on my sidebar. Cut & paste didn't work, either. Updates didn't do a thing. Who knows? The updates might have consigned my PC to the nether regions?
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    Yeah, the website tells me to use the import function but none seems to exist on my sidebar. Cut & paste didn't work, either. Updates didn't do a thing. Who knows? The updates might have consigned my PC to the nether regions?
    So you see the SD card and pictures in File Explorer? If Cut and paste doesn't work, can you drag and drop them from File Explorer to the desktop?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    If you can't get pictures to your desktop, I seriously don't think you'll be posting them to websites. It's just too complicated for you. Websites are difficult, and you seem to be struggling to comb your hair.
    I would have someone show you how to do it or take some computer courses. But then there are the website issues.
    BANNED

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    If you can't get pictures to your desktop, I seriously don't think you'll be posting them to websites. It's just too complicated for you. Websites are difficult, and you seem to be struggling to comb your hair.
    I would have someone show you how to do it or take some computer courses. But then there are the website issues.
    Thank you for the sweet reply!

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    So you see the SD card and pictures in File Explorer? If Cut and paste doesn't work, can you drag and drop them from File Explorer to the desktop?
    Unfortunately, the photos in the Windows 10 photo app don't drag & drop past the edges of the photo app window. I'm sourcing my photos from an SD card but I can't keep from getting the Windows App from sucking them in. I used to be able to simply drag & drop photos from the card to my desktop and then double-click them but that now seems to be a thing of the innocent past. I just tried cutting and pasting once more but cutting and pasting doesn't seem to be an option. The photos don't cut, which means they can't be pasted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Try this?

Right click on the Start Icon (looks like a window) in the taskbar (bottom or left of screen), select File Explorer, in File Explorer find and click on This PC, under Devices and Drives look for the SD card and double click on it to open in a new File Explorer window. Find the pictures you want and you should be able to drag them to the desktop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    It sounds like your file associations are set to open all photos in the Windows 10 photo app. You can change this (I'm not sure how off-hand and I'm headed for bed ). You can also right click on any picture file and select Open With and then select the app you want to use.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Thanks to Sogno, I recovered the lost corner of my brain that allowed me to access photos from my PC. Instead of clicking on a fatally pretty photo icon at the bottom of the screen (which strongarms me into a sticky-fingered Billy Gates Hell), I click on a Folders icon a bit further to the left. A Pictures sub-folder within leads me to sub-folders that have my photos neatly organized, ready to play with at will.

gazing from the shadows
    I click on a Folders icon a bit further to the left.
    That's File Explorer. Using that you are looking at the files on your hard drive and your other drives like SD cards.

Now you know!
    Last edited by QuiQuaeQuod; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:23 AM. Reason: spelling
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Frog Whisperer
    Thanks to Sogno, I recovered the lost corner of my brain that allowed me to access photos from my PC. Instead of clicking on a fatally pretty photo icon at the bottom of the screen (which strongarms me into a sticky-fingered Billy Gates Hell), I click on a Folders icon a bit further to the left. A Pictures sub-folder within leads me to sub-folders that have my photos neatly organized, ready to play with at will.
    I was going to suggest that! (the ask her part!) she's a clever girl. I am with you, I despise windows 10, for the life of me, I cannot share my desktop computer to any of the other devices on my network. It worked perfectly for 10 years until I was badgered into updating from 7.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."