Interesting food addition: pomegranate molasses.
    gazing from the shadows

Interesting food addition: pomegranate molasses.

We have some pomegranate molasses, which we picked up for some middle eastern recipes. The stuff is powerful.

But a touch in some glazed carrots really changes things up. A bit in a BBQ sauce for chicken, or teriyaki sauce, changes things up. Works well with lamb especially. It's really easy to use too much, but a tiny bit has made things we have often just that bit different so they seem new.

Also, za'atar (or zatar). Za'atar makes everything better it seems, with just a sprinkle over the top at the end.

Anyone here have some ingredients they use that might not be all that common (around you) but that are worth giving a shot?
    Stout beers under trees, please.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    We bought some straight up turmeric that adds a nice little zest to anything we put it on.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    We bought some straight up turmeric that adds a nice little zest to anything we put it on.
    I never use that, except in curries. Might give it a try in some things.

My wife uses it when making paper flowers though, so I might want some that has not had a brush dipped in it over and over.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm reporting both of you to the National Ketchup Association followed by notices to both the National Catsup Association and the National Ketsup Association.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    We do curries fairly often so we have a whole cupboard filled with off-the-wall spices. Galangal is pretty interesting, sort of a cross between ginger and horseradish.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    We do curries fairly often so we have a whole cupboard filled with off-the-wall spices. Galangal is pretty interesting, sort of a cross between ginger and horseradish.
    We take access to spices and salt for granted, but when you pause and imagine your palate without such, you can see where wanting humans would fight wars for such.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    We take access to spices and salt for granted, but when you pause and imagine your palate without such, you can see where wanting humans would fight wars for such.
    For sure. In places, the ability to serve spicy food was a status symbol as only the rich could afford spices.

It's sometimes a real battle to get through traffic to my grocery store.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    We have some pomegranate molasses, which we picked up for some middle eastern recipes. The stuff is powerful.

But a touch in some glazed carrots really changes things up. A bit in a BBQ sauce for chicken, or teriyaki sauce, changes things up. Works well with lamb especially. It's really easy to use too much, but a tiny bit has made things we have often just that bit different so they seem new.

Also, za'atar (or zatar). Za'atar makes everything better it seems, with just a sprinkle over the top at the end.

Anyone here have some ingredients they use that might not be all that common (around you) but that are worth giving a shot?

That pomegranite molasses works really well in salad dressings as well, and over ice creams and pound cakes.

And, while not halal, it mixes quite well with club soda and vodka.

As for odd ingredients, been playing with kala namak, aka "Indian/Himalayan black salt--it's an acquired taste, and I'm not sure I've acquired it.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You'd a thought I farted in church to see the faces of stockers at a local Wal Mart trying to figure out what pomegranate molasses was... where it was... and that they didn't have any.