iPhone 4 data hog?
    Zaphod Beeblebrox

iPhone 4 data hog?

Anyone that upgraded from a 3G or 3GS notice significantly higher data usage on your new phone? I bought an iPhone4 with the 200MB data plan for the GF. The first day she blew through 90MB just playing on the web, no downloaded apps and no streaming of any youtube, pandora or anything like that. Checked usage before going to bed and it again in the morning and 4MB were used while we were both sleeping! Yesterday she completely shut off the internet connection and still managed to use 0.4MB without ever being ABLE to connect. WTF? Does AT&T default to having apps running in the background that suck down data hoping you don't pay attention and go over or force you to buy the 2GB plan?

haole from the mainland
    And that is why I stuck with the unlimited data plan when AT&T offered the new cheaper but limited data plans. I had/have a sneaking suspicion that AT&T knew something was up, either with apps that grab information from the internet (e.g., like Google navigation would) or multitasking, in which you think you've closed an app but it's still going in the background using bandwidth.

That being said, if she uses WiFi it will supposedly stay working while the phone 'sleeps' vs. it going to 3G.

Born from JortsŪ
    Get a Palm.

Zaphod Beeblebrox
    Neither of us have ever had an iPhone or any other 'smart' phone. She's ready to chuck it out the window and I'm dang glad I didn't buy one for myself at the same time. There's got to be a way to shut down all the data using apps when not needed or at least moniter what is using all the data.

n00bsauce
    Doesn't the iPhone have an app like Taskiller on Android?
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

Zaphod Beeblebrox
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    Get a Palm.

I've already got two, Rosie and Louise.

waterproof*
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    Get a Palm.
    we belong together.
    * not actually a Rock Star

turtle killer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Erickson
    Doesn't the iPhone have an app like Taskiller on Android?
    You can simply double click on the home button, that'll bring up any backgrounded tasks.. then you can kill them by holding down on the icon till the - sign appears.

n00bsauce
    Quote Originally Posted by dysfunction
    You can simply double click on the home button, that'll bring up any backgrounded tasks.. then you can kill them by holding down on the icon till the - sign appears.
    That's a lot of work for something that should be automatic. Taskiller kills tasks when the phone is locked or the screen is blanked. You set it up to kill the taks you want (selective) or to kill all tasks that aren't needed. I gotta believe there's an app for that with the iPhone. With Taskiller I don't have to do anything, it's automatic. Really saves my battery and probably megs of data too. However, since I'm on an unlimited data plan I don't pay attention to how much I use (pretty light user). I do it to save battery and it works great.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

RoadBikeReview Member
    That takes too much time. WTB taskkiller.

haole from the mainland
    Quote Originally Posted by dysfunction

Thank you! Yesterday my tomtom app would not close and kept popping up with alerts.

Born from JortsŪ

get this

just updated for 4.0

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/memor...306889629?mt=8

open app, kills all the misc junk, close app. I've had it on my 3G and it works well.

// don't listen to the moreon comments.