I've left my heart in New York City!!!!
    RoadBikeReview Member

I've left my heart in New York City!!!!

Man, oh man. I just got back from two weeks in Manhatten on a business trip. Lots of my co-workers and other associates and I spent the days working, and the evenings and late nights enjoying the sights and sounds of NYC. And a couple wild nights in Hoboken!!

Folks from the area: How great it must be to wake each morning in that place. I always wondered what it would be like to visit there, and I feared that if I ever did visit the place, I would fall in love with it. I did. It's one of those things, I suppose, that a person either loves it or hates it. i love it. I loved every minute of it. Even the crowds, the crazy-azz taxi drivers, the congestion, the rats in the subway, the 12.00 grey goose and cranberry's that I got addicted, and certainly, most importantly, the beautiful women.

If a person has never been to NYC and stayed for a length of time, they are missing out on a wonderful experience. I saw the rebuilding of Ground Zero while I was there, and I absolutely broke down to see the pictures that children had drawn of their parents that were lost that day. I strolled down Wall Street and imagined that I worked there, in that rush and fury, and that it was my Rolls Royce coming to pick me up at the end of the day. I saw Strawberry Fields, and wondered why this was such a big deal, that John Lennon died when he did. But then I thought of the words to the song "Imagine", and it sent a chill down my spine. I bumped into Conan O'Brian and his wife and baby on the upper east side, and I had nothing more witty to say than "hey, how's it goin?"

I had dinner in Chelsea with a new friend I met there. Gorgeous, dark eyes and hair, and so neat in her thin build and fancy clothes. We hit it off, but she was only my host that day, to the greater world that is NYC.

If only I can come up with more excuses to leave my humble abode in Birmingham, AL and visit the Big Apple more in the near future!!!

trying to HTFU...
    Glad you found NYC to your liking! I grew up about 45min away on Long Island and spent many days "in the City" visiting with relatives, shopping, museum cruising, eating, partying, working. I was fortunate enough to have been to the top of the WTC, to see where Philippe Petit signed his name on the building after his historic high-wire crossing between the two towers. Whenever i see the footage of the building coming down my stomach gets a weirdly sick feeling.

The City is a special place; in years past, you might not have enjoyed the flavor and personality of the people - i used to have a t-shirt that said: "Welcome to New York, Now go home". Times and people change, sometimes for the better, sometime worse, but a city that endures such tragedy and emerges with such strength and humility can only be described as a Great Place.

You should call your hostess and thank her for her time showing you around. Perhaps you'll get an invitation to return...

Cheers and Happy Holidays!

chris
    Improving on self-torture for more than 3.6^2 years.

Palm trees & sunshine!
    NYC rawks! One of my very favorite places to visit

supervillain

Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ashpelham

If only I can come up with more excuses to leave my humble abode in Birmingham, AL and visit the Big Apple more in the near future!!!
    dude, just go. it's a very special place full of brilliant people, there is nothing about it you'll regret.

i'd still be there if it wasn't part of the US ... but already planning a visit this summer becuase I miss it and my friends so much.

as long as your enthusiastic and don't bring any bullsh1t, the city will take you in and you'll easily find your feet. if you can go, there is no reason not to.

peace
    "I'm so postmodern ... " Spirito

AIE
    midnight melon mounter

An amazing place

I was expecting a city like Chicago, but bigger and with a different accent. Not even close. Not even remotely in the same ballpark.

New York has more in common with the big Asian capitals than it has with other large American cities. It has that same magnetic quality that towns like Bombay and Kuala Lumpur have - drawing kids out of their villages and into an international place. The city has a vibe of 10 million people outside of their comfort zone, immigrants in the middle of something adventurous.

People should visit NYC often.

Get me to In&Out
    Quote Originally Posted by ashpelham
    I totally hear you. I was there two years ago this christmas. Great place to find the christmas spirit for sure. I probably gained ten pounds in my ten days there though. Too many great places to eat.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex-in-Evanston
    The city has a vibe of 10 million people outside of their comfort zone, immigrants in the middle of something adventurous.

Excellent way of putting it.

The city is just so alive. I feel good for weeks after every visit.

I'll be going up in Jan.

supervillain

Feb 2006
    i just got back from a weekend in NYC 2 weekend's ago. stayed at the hilton on the 42nd floor (43 is penthouse$$$) and it rocked your face. but not only did i also leave my heart in NYC, i aparently left my wallet there toooooo......

crap. no money was in it (thank god i'm poor) but my license and debit cars were in there as well as some important things (blockbuster card, gift cards, business cards)

life sometimes craps on you, but you just wipe it off and "walk it out"
    They showed a bare breast getting bit by a snake. That was worth the hour and a half.- Scotty

Texan's are really just Australian's with funny accents.- GBOA

Scary Teddy Bear

Different

strokes man, different strokes...Myself..I HATED NYC..but I also hate Chicago, DC, Miami, and especially, even more than all the others....I hate LA.....just not my thing. I don't like how big Rochester is now....and it's only 125k.......If I had my way..I'd live like in the Yukon somewhere..or up in the mountains in Wyoming or western Montana......Just my thoughts. Glad you liked it though.
    "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it." John Stuart Mill, 1866

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
    http://physasst.blogspot.com/

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    I can see why people love NYC, and I always like visiting (we get up there a couple of times a year to see my wife's family and old friends).

But I just can never feel at home there. The sky is too small.

I don't require Montana-style big sky, but I need more than you get in New York (though this is much less of an issue at night, the way AshP must mostly have been seeing it). Chicago is bearable, height-wise, and I love the feel of the city, but that's about the tallest place I could handle for an extended period.

Guess that's why I wound up staying in DC and the surrounding areas. Even downtown there's enough sky to satisfy me, because all the buildings are pretty short and there are lots of little parks and whatnot and the streets are really wide.

NYC is a really special place to visit, but I just can't see myself living there.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

RoadBikeReview Member
    Maybe to visit once or twice (never been), too many people and too expensive. I've been to other big cities Paris and Seoul to name a couple, its just not for me.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by KenB
    NYC rawks! One of my very favorite places to visit
    "to visit" being the operative phrase.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Windrider (Stubborn)

I keep trying to like......

Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    "to visit" being the operative phrase.
    the city...but after about 2 days I'm more than ready to leave.

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Len J
    the city...but after about 2 days I'm more than ready to leave.

Len
    +1

and not on my dime.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    Midwestern guy here. I too was once in the "Ok to visit but can't see living there" camp, but after several years of living in NYC I have to say this is the place to be.

The biggest drawback is obviously the cost, but other than that the positives vastly outweigh the negatives. But the #1 positive IMO is being able to live without owning a car. I walk to work in 20 minutes and everything I need is within a few blocks of my apartment...I've never felt held back by not owning a car. Try saying that in most other US cities/towns!

Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex-in-Evanston
    I was expecting a city like Chicago, but bigger and with a different accent. Not even close. Not even remotely in the same ballpark.

New York has more in common with the big Asian capitals than it has with other large American cities. It has that same magnetic quality that towns like Bombay and Kuala Lumpur have - drawing kids out of their villages and into an international place. The city has a vibe of 10 million people outside of their comfort zone, immigrants in the middle of something adventurous.

People should visit NYC often.
    absolutely. i remember coming out of subway, in front of the flattiron building, 6 in the morning.. arriving from the airport after 1 yr in europe. i suddenly cried while one word flashed on my mind: freedom.
    people from all over the world feel free in NYC.
    www.flaviocolker.com.br
    i am in love w/a black woman.

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by physasst
    strokes man, different strokes...Myself..I HATED NYC..but I also hate Chicago, DC, Miami, and especially, even more than all the others....I hate LA.....just not my thing. I don't like how big Rochester is now....and it's only 125k.......If I had my way..I'd live like in the Yukon somewhere..or up in the mountains in Wyoming or western Montana......Just my thoughts. Glad you liked it though.

like a lumber jack hick............... i bet u look like the brawney paper towel man...NTTAWWT
    They showed a bare breast getting bit by a snake. That was worth the hour and a half.- Scotty

Texan's are really just Australian's with funny accents.- GBOA

Mostly Absent
    I miss the WTC. I've been back only once since 9/11. I couldn't even cross south of Times Sqaure.

What a great place. I aboilsutely loved living there. I think it should be like military/p[ublic service - you should do 2 years of public/military service and live in NYC for 2 years. Mandatory. i thikn the world would be a better place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    I've lived in NYC for 5.5 years. I grew up in Calif and I miss it. But if you have the means, I highly recommend living here. Happy to hear you enjoyed your trip.
    Riding to break the cycle of breast cancer in the Young Survival Coalition Tour de Pink--3 days, 200 miles.
    www.ysctourdepink.org