Just rented Milk
    Shirtcocker

Just rented Milk

Much better film than Watchmen. I realize most of you have already seen it, but if not it's definitely worth watching. Sean Penn delivers an amazing performance and I loved how the whole film is him speaking into a tape recorder--something so fatalistic about that. I hadn't known much of the Harvey Milk story prior to seeing the film which is a shame as he seemed to have a pivotal role in breaking down barriers for the gay community.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

AIE
    midnight melon mounter
    It's hard times on the land when you've got to resort to renting milk.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex-in-Evanston
    It's hard times on the land when you've got to resort to renting milk.
    Renting isn't hard--it's when you have to puke it up when it comes time to return it that's the real downside.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

corning my own beef
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    Renting isn't hard--it's when you have to puke it up when it comes time to return it that's the real downside.
    you can avoid that discomfort if you just wait longer. He!l with the late fees.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

your text here
    i <3 this thread already.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

Cat 6
    Pass.

Shirtcocker
    Stick a fork in this thread and turn it over--it's done.

Back from the dead
    I saw it in the theaters. Sean Penn totally deserved the Oscar.

I remember when Dan White was paroled to a mobile home park in Chatsworth, California, within spitting distance of the Spahn Ranch where the Manson Family hung out. He didn't last long. Once people found out he was there, they pretty much ran him out of town. He moved around a few times before things cooled down and he was able to stay somewhere for a while. Then he killed himself. A wasted life.

jaded bitter joy crusher
    Renting isn't hard--it's when you have to puke it up when it comes time to return it
    Catzilla's got the answer. Ask her how!
    Fredke commented in your thread. You won't believe what happens next!

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair
    I saw it in the theaters. Sean Penn totally deserved the Oscar.

I remember when Dan White was paroled to a mobile home park in Chatsworth, California, within spitting distance of the Spahn Ranch where the Manson Family hung out. He didn't last long. Once people found out he was there, they pretty much ran him out of town. He moved around a few times before things cooled down and he was able to stay somewhere for a while. Then he killed himself. A wasted life.
    So was he really a self-hating gay in denial as they portrayed him to be in the movie?

Formosan Cyclocross
    I remember in college we screened the documentary, The Life and Times of Harvey Milk and my professor also suggested White was a closeted homosexual. Many folks wish to portray gays as a danger to X (children, marriage, the country, our way of life etc...) but really the only dangerous homosexuals are the closeted ones who wallow in self hatred and take extreme measures to distance themselves from who they are. This is where a homophobic society needs to shoulder some responsibility. Nobody would choose to be hated by so many people or choose to risk losing the love they thought was unconditional. This is one particular example of where America needs to grow up.

Good movie!

Back from the dead
    So was he really a self-hating gay in denial as they portrayed him to be in the movie?
    I think the movie took dramatic license with that. I don't think it is a view shared by many people who knew him.

Tig
    Clear Lake, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by Dajianshan
    I remember in college we screened the documentary, The Life and Times of Harvey Milk and my professor also suggested White was a closeted homosexual. Many folks wish to portray gays as a danger to X (children, marriage, the country, our way of life etc...) but really the only dangerous homosexuals are the closeted ones who wallow in self hatred and take extreme measures to distance themselves from who they are. This is where a homophobic society needs to shoulder some responsibility. Nobody would choose to be hated by so many people or choose to risk losing the love they thought was unconditional. This is one particular example of where America needs to grow up.

Good movie!
    Well said, Dajianshan.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Good movie but not great. Penn was terrific, and the archival footage of the walking candlelight vigil at the end was incredible.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

RoadBikeReview Member
    i need to see the film.

i met harvey milk in SF in about 1974 or so. i think he ran photography studio in the city at the time. i was just walking along on campus at SF State Univ and he stopped me and we talked photography briefly. he had an intensity and charisma about him; not suprising he was a leader. i can still visualize his face.

i really do need to see the film; i'm sure there's alot about his story i don't know.

had it in the ear before
    who is harvey milk?
    you might as well have gone to Taco Bell and had a Zima while dropping a blotter and snorting Tabasco. OMFG. ~ttug

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck
    Good movie but not great. Penn was terrific, and the archival footage of the walking candlelight vigil at the end was incredible.
    The ending did me in... I remember when it actually happened clearly: I was a 18 year old, confused and conflicted young man. I watched part of that candlelight procession with my mum on the 11 O'clock news. She said something then about how ridiculous it was that a person could be killed because of who he was. I realized years later that she was addressing that comment to me: her gay son, who hadn't quite figured that particular part out himself.

Milk's killing profoundly affected my life. When I saw the archival footage in the theatre I almost lost it. I wasn't just crying, my whole body was sobbing (this in a nearly empty suburban cinema).
    As I grow older I will remember the first light on the water, my will to win, the strength of my arms and the power of the crew.