KABOOM - 50 years ago today
    tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member

KABOOM - 50 years ago today

Oregon regrettably exploded an 8-ton whale carcass 50 years ago, using 20 cases of TNT.

Oregon highway workers had to find a way to dispose of the rotting carcass of a 45-foot-long, eight ton whale in Florence, the closest beach town to Eugene, on Nov. 12, 1970.
    They decided to obliterate it using 20 cases half a ton of dynamite.
    "The hope was that the long-dead Pacific gray whale would be almost disintegrated by the blast, and that any small pieces still around after the explosion would be taken care of by seagulls and other scavengers," explained KATU's Paul Linnman, in what New York Times reporter Mike Baker calls "surely one of the greatest local TV news segments of the century."

And not because things went as planned.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    And not because things went as planned.
    We've learned a thing or two since then.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Yuck.

The Forest Service around here occasionally uses explosives to deal with dead moose or horse carcasses that might attract grizzly bears to areas close to trails or other places humans frequent.

I hope never to see it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The wikipedia entry is pretty hilarious. Apparently the explosive "expert's" car that was flattened by blubber had been purchased under a "get a whale of a deal" promotion.

Supposedly, the explosion might have worked ok if it had been on a hard surface like concrete. But on sand, the gasses from the explosion first created a crater under the whale. As the gasses escaped from the crater, they catapulted chunks of the carcass in the air. They also used something like 25x the amount of explosives they should have.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    The wikipedia entry is pretty hilarious. Apparently the explosive "expert's" car that was flattened by blubber had been purchased under a "get a whale of a deal" promotion.

Supposedly, the explosion might have worked ok if it had been on a hard surface like concrete. But on sand, the gasses from the explosion first created a crater under the whale. As the gasses escaped from the crater, they catapulted chunks of the carcass in the air. They also used something like 25x the amount of explosives they should have.
    I am glad I watched this. Now I know better than to blow up a whale. Major PSA

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    In 2004 a stranded 56-foot, 60-ton sperm whale died on a beach in Taiwan.
    Researchers wanted the carcass so they could perform an autopsy for educational purposes. So they strapped the dead whale onto a flat bed truck and head off for the research station. As they drive through the city of Tainan, the buildup of gases resulting from the ongoing decomposition bursts through the rotting blubber. A river of whale blood, intestines and organs flooded the city street.

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    when you say it was for "educational purposes" does that mean food?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Thank god Smell-O-vision is but a recent invention.

RoadBikeReview Member
    In 2004 a stranded 56-foot, 60-ton sperm whale died on a beach in Taiwan.
    Researchers wanted the carcass so they could perform an autopsy for educational purposes. So they strapped the dead whale onto a flat bed truck and head off for the research station. As they drive through the city of Tainan, the buildup of gases resulting from the ongoing decomposition bursts through the rotting blubber. A river of whale blood, intestines and organs flooded the city street.

That would be a rather interesting auto insurance claim.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    maybe Farmer's Insurance should to a commercial on this: "exploded whale, yeah, we covered it"

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    maybe Farmer's Insurance should to a commercial on this: "exploded whale, yeah, we covered it"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I hope he wasn't insured by LiMu Emu. He probably thought he didn't need coverage for whale explosions so he didn't pay for it but wasn't covered.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I know folks like to save money, but I can't imagine the additional exploding whale coverage is all that much a month, and its pretty much required if you live in Norway or an Inuit territory

RoadBikeReview Member
    ______

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    ______

Art imitating life.

Neophyte
    There was a news spot on this last night in our local news, the anchors were cracking up because I guess the reporter that got sent up to cover the story way back in the day would always tell crazy stories about it a the holiday party, etc... It was a good laugh and they showed the smashed car.

A co-worker of mine was in the Army reserves and got deployed to the Balkan region when things were going on over there. When he came back he told a story about seeing a cow step on an anti-tank mine and that it rained pink mist. So gross.