Ken Burns

Thread: Ken Burns

Frog Whisperer

Ken Burns

It just occurred to me, I haven't seen it mentioned here, PBS is airing the 8 part, 15 hour, Ken Burns special, The History of Country Music. First 2 episodes were very good. It should also be available online, streaming.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ken Burns: A Living American Treasure.

The Civil War (1990), Baseball (1994), Jazz (2001), The War (2007), The National Parks: America's Best Idea (2009), Prohibition (2011), The Roosevelts (2014), and The Vietnam War (2017) to name some of his most prominent work.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Ah, hes a flash in the pan hack.

Russian Troll Farmer
    YAWWWWWNNNNN!

Another 2 hours of content spread over an entire week. Probably narrated by Peter coyote, with famous people reading quotations over a soundtrack that fills in the many dead spots. Nothing like a Ken Burns documentary to help you fall asleep in front of the TV.......
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Couples were dancing stomach to stomach, cheek to cheek.

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    YAWWWWWNNNNN!

Another 2 hours of content spread over an entire week. Probably narrated by Peter coyote, with famous people reading quotations over a soundtrack that fills in the many dead spots. Nothing like a Ken Burns documentary to help you fall asleep in front of the TV.......
    one man's opinion.....and wrong in my opinion. I am enjoying it tremendously

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    It just occurred to me, I haven't seen it mentioned here, PBS is airing the 8 part, 15 hour, Ken Burns special, The History of Country Music. First 2 episodes were very good. It should also be available online, streaming.
    I keep missing it. Missed the first episode or two, but have managed to catch the last half hour of last night's and tonight's shows. Dang, Hank Williams died young.

My documentary maker buddy can't stand Ken Burns' directing. I'm "meh" on Burns myself, but have been enjoying these shows. Maybe cause I like the music.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    Only watched the first episode so far, but it's interesting as history to me even though I'm not a country music fan. I'm learning things that are new to me. Like the banjo came from Africa as a gourd with strings and is both a percussion and stringed instrument.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ken Burns, rocking the "Moe" hair cut for 30 years!!!

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    Ken Burns, rocking the "Moe" hair cut for 30 years!!!
    I always get him confused with Steven King.....they look like twins!
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Episode 3 referenced above and got through 4 and 5. Real America stuff. To think, ....NASCAR and anti feds taxation has to do with the beginnings. I'd rather listen to this then a Brit singing rock in "historical" in our America's past . Loved it.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I'm lovin' the show to death. I just wanna watch. The music. The history. And give Ken Burns full credit. Just for starters, he has the reputation to get almost every surviving major country star to sit in front of a camera for him. The guy is also the unquestioned champion at hunting down obscure photos, films, vids and audio recordings. His generosity and his narrative chops result in shows that work on both emotional and intellectual levels.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Promote it.

Frog Whisperer
    [QUOTE=Eretz;5347267]Promote it.

I'll tell you what, I am thoroughly enjoying it.....I was born and raised in the heart of the appalachian mountains, I learned to ride a bike in those mountains, less than 45 miles as the crow flies from West VA. I earned my Hillbilly stripes!

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Promote it.

Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    I'll tell you what, I am thoroughly enjoying it.....I was born and raised in the heart of the appalachian mountains, I learned to ride a bike in those mountains, less than 45 miles as the crow flies from West VA. I earned my Hillbilly stripes
    I love this series, and anybody can watch each episode on YouLube The music is a history all of us should listen to and understand. I think this broadcast is brilliant and the narrative is two thumbs up.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    I love this series, and anybody can watch each episode on YouLube The music is a history all of us should listen to and understand. I think this broadcast is brilliant and the narrative is two thumbs up.

I'll check those Youtube episodes out when I get a chance.

Frog Whisperer
    I concur....cultural history of our country

Frog Whisperer
    The music may have been recorded and produced for profit, but it was written and performed from the heart.........

Just got a chance to watch the final episode, missed it on air, driving to a funeral in Kansas.........

I have little else to say,