King Kong!

Thread: King Kong!

Motorator

King Kong!

Went the other day with my son....I left the theatre having just watched a classic love story done quite well. It was long, sometimes too much so in spots, but its pluses overwhelmed its minuses, all in all. Naomi Watts did a stellar job in the Faye Wray role, Kong was great thanks to seamless computer graphics; and the director did well in letting their relationship develop step by step so it was more believeable. Anybody see it? Whaddya think?

scruffy nerf herder

Haven't seen it yet...

but I just watched the original from back in the 30's. I was impressed by that one for it being done at that time. Its pretty amazing. I can't wait to see the new one, but honestly... 3 hours and 7 minutes... are you kidding me? I watched it with my 4 year old son and he about melted down when Kong broke the T-Rex's neck and critiqued the fact that "brontosaurus dont eat people". Anyway. Im interested to see it, but tell me if the violence was over the top? And tell me, if any T-Rexes get hurt, it will not be fitting for my kid. He couldnt handle the ONE getting killed by Kong, much less the THREE that I saw in the trailers.
    so sayeth the funk....

Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The RBR Lounge. You won't ever find a more wretched hive of scum and villany. We must be cautious."

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Starliner
    Went the other day with my son....I left the theatre having just watched a classic love story done quite well. It was long, sometimes too much so in spots, but its pluses overwhelmed its minuses, all in all. Naomi Watts did a stellar job in the Faye Wray role, Kong was great thanks to seamless computer graphics; and the director did well in letting their relationship develop step by step so it was more believeable. Anybody see it? Whaddya think?
    havent seen it. not really interested. my 10 year old son saw it with a friend last night and he said it scared him.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I may go see it after the crowds die down. I saw Syriana yesterday and the line for KK was pretty long and way too many kids for me.

I love the big screen, but the people in theatres are getting to be too much for me. TURN YOUR FREAKING CELL PHONES OFF!! It's not just hearing them. I don't appreciate the light from the screens. Aholes.

a jumped up pantry boy
    Quote Originally Posted by vol245
    I may go see it after the crowds die down. I saw Syriana yesterday and the line for KK was pretty long and way too many kids for me.

I love the big screen, but the people in theatres are getting to be too much for me. TURN YOUR FREAKING CELL PHONES OFF!! It's not just hearing them. I don't appreciate the light from the screens. Aholes.
    its bad when they ring, its worse when they answer them.

i havent seen it yet. ive heard both bad and good. jack black in a serious part?

Game on, b*tches!
    Great! saw it yesterday with my kids. A little slow starting, but that ape was so lifelike it was unbelievable. My 11 y/o cried at the end. Thought Jack Black did a nice job, too. No Emmy for sure, but he was a good fit for the role.
    Originally Posted by tetter
    'Pain is temporary, and there might be beer at the finish line'

"Karma is spread in lots of different ways. You know, like herpes."
    catzilla
    "I'm an American male. This is pizza. Leave me alone!"
    Alton Brown
    ohnoIaintsuckingnomore.blogspot.com

What the Hell is going on

Jar Jar Binks revisited

That movie was so Jar Jar Binks. Relied too much on CGI instead of strong, believeable characters and story. For example, in the original movie, Kong fought one T-Rex; in the new movie Kong fights 4 (with some "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" action moves thrown in for good measure). The relationship between Naomi Watts and Adrian Brodie seemed forced (see "Contact" for reference). Even Dino DeLaurentis [?] version, while lacking in special effects, had a much more better story line. I have to admit the the special effects were spectacular and, as a movie buff, seeing Kong atop the Empire State building again brought a tear to my eye but getting to that point was slow and boring.

In need of sock puppet
    Saw it with the family on Friday night - loved it. I predict it would be really scary or uncomfortable for little kids and snapdragons. We watched the original and Dino's version for comparison beofre heading off the see Jackson's stylish tribute. Jackson did the original justice.

All I wanted was a Pepsi!
    Was planning on taking my 7yo daughter but ended up conning my mom into it instead. I thought it was great, but my daugher would've definitely been scared. And the action can be a bit overwhelming, just dinosaur after big bug after huge bat after man-eating leeches,etc.

The end result is not good for the T-Rex(es) so your son may not enjoy that. If you want to see terrific acting this film may not be for you but if you just want excitement and a good story and hot leading lady, by all mean go!
    "If you have the guts to be yourself, other people'll pay your price." - Rabbit Angstrom

Motorator
    Quote Originally Posted by JaeP
    That movie was so Jar Jar Binks. Relied too much on CGI instead of strong, believeable characters and story. For example, in the original movie, Kong fought one T-Rex; in the new movie Kong fights 4 (with some "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" action moves thrown in for good measure). The relationship between Naomi Watts and Adrian Brodie seemed forced (see "Contact" for reference). Even Dino DeLaurentis [?] version, while lacking in special effects, had a much more better story line. I have to admit the the special effects were spectacular and, as a movie buff, seeing Kong atop the Empire State building again brought a tear to my eye but getting to that point was slow and boring.
    Jar Jar Binks??? Sorry, but if JJ was deleted from the whole Star Wars saga, it would have been an improvement; but Kong, well he's half the story.... so what do you suggest they do with him - make him a puppet on strings?

Gotta generally agree with your points on the dinosaur fight, and the Brodie/Watts relationship. I don't remember Dino's story line though, which makes me wonder how forgettable it must have been.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Kong looked really good - Jar Jar looked like crap and was an annoying character.

My only complaint with Kong was the length. It was unnecessarily long. A lot of it could have been cut. Did they need to spend that much time getting to the island? Did we really need to see so many strange creatures on the island? It was as if Peter Jackson was just so entralled with his CGI creations he wouldn't cut them out. It all added to the time, but not the story.
    "It's supposed to be a challenge; it's a shortcut! If it were easy
    it would just be the way." - Road Trip

Game on, b*tches!
    Too much for a 7 y/o IMHO.

catzilla
    Alton Brown

Jar Jar Binks-revisited

Jar Jar Binks??? Sorry, but if JJ was deleted from the whole Star Wars saga, it would have been an improvement; but Kong, well he's half the story.... so what do you suggest they do with him - make him a puppet on strings?
    I guess my new movie catch phrase didn't catch on. From a previous thread I posted:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=48360

Game on, b*tches!
    I REALLY wouldn't take a 4 y/o to see the new one. Some very intense scenes, Kong bites the heads off people (not very graphic, but very obvious). I liked it. My 11 y/o and 13 y/o liked it. The time went by fairly quickly once they set sail.

catzilla
    Alton Brown

Dino's Version

I don't remember Dino's story line though, which makes me wonder how forgettable it must have been.
    Dino's version was in 1977 (I think) and the story line reflect the era: Gas shortage. An oil company (through satellite photos) found potential oil deposits under a mysterious cloud bank in the ocean . . . anyway, the love/sexual relationship between Kong and Jessica Lange (gawd she was hot wearing those Daisy Dukes and red stripped shirt) was more graphic and previlant in Dino's version. Peter Jackson's version was watered down. Even the original version had some underlying sexual theme between Kong and Fay Wray.

BTW does the beastiality theme bother anyone?

Misfit Toy
    Quote Originally Posted by vol245

Last time I went to a movie with my friend, his cell phone rang. I leaned over, whispered in his ear "shut the f*$(#er off or I throw it across the theater".
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

Game on, b*tches!
    Turn mine of to the "silent mode". Vibrates only. Can be real fun if placed in the proper location and someone tries to reach out and touch, if you know what I mean ;)

catzilla
    Alton Brown

Palm trees & sunshine!

Big time thread dredge.....

I remembered this thread and just saw this version for the first time the other day and am watching it again now. I have to say, Naomi Watts is beyond stellar in it. Truly amazing performance.

supervillain

Sub theme?

Quote Originally Posted by KenB
    I remembered this thread and just saw this version for the first time the other day and am watching it again now. I have to say, Naomi Watts is beyond stellar in it. Truly amazing performance.
    Does the beastiality theme bother anyone?

For me, Naomi Watts could not convey any sense of sympathy, empathy or any sort of emotion towards Kong (The 1977 version, while a little heavy on the chessy factor, still had a more developed connection between Kong and Jessica Lange, IMHO). The chemistry between Watts and Brody felt wooden and tacked on too. The movie suffered from heavy special effects to help flesh out weak characters.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JaeP
    .... more developed connection between Kong and Jessica Lange, IMHO .....
    I'd like to develop a connection with Jessica Lange

peace
    "I'm so postmodern ... " Spirito