Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Eddy 53:11
    I think I've started to collect pocketknives, but I'm not sure.
    Live vicariously through yourself.
    There are no physical laws that govern the will.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    You'll probably enjoy this video, one of my favorites:

This damn post sent me down a rabbit hole of Big Dog forge videos. Lots of interesting stuff.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Morakniv knifes on Amazon for $10 to $15 offer amazing quality for the little they cost.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremerradkurier View Post
    Morakniv knifes on Amazon for $10 to $15 offer amazing quality for the little they cost.
    Cool, thanks!
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    This damn post sent me down a rabbit hole of Big Dog forge videos. Lots of interesting stuff.
    Same here. I even paused the vid to examine his lunch in detail.

I never saw anybody make damascus steel before. When he started welding saw blades together to start the project, I was astounded.

Not Banned
    so I was cooking and cutting so I took a quick pick. I have a lot more knives, chefs, sabatiers, etc... but these are my main, serious knives. I can actually shave with two of them. The Santoku and the Bread Knife are 67 Layer Marble Paper Damascus (66 layers and I think an AUS 10 Core). The chopper / chef I don't know what type, and it is different
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Knives (Lounge style)-damascus-trio.jpg  
    Last edited by atpjunkie; 1 Day Ago at 08:32 PM.
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    ^ How do Damascus compare to kitchen knives like J.A. Henckels and Wusthof?

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    They are nicer to look at, that's for sure.

Functionally? It depends. There's more to a knife than just the steel, and a knife I like to use is not one my wife will necessarily like to use. And not all steel of the same type is the same. Not every damascus blade will hold an edge in the same way during use. Keep in mind that actual Damascus steel is a specific thing, and modern Damascus is more of a method (pattern welding). Which can be done with varying alloys, as well as patterns of course. Different alloys, different knife performance.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    They are nicer to look at, that's for sure.

Functionally? It depends. There's more to a knife than just the steel, and a knife I like to use is not one my wife will necessarily like to use. And not all steel of the same type is the same. Not every damascus blade will hold an edge in the same way during use. Keep in mind that actual Damascus steel is a specific thing, and modern Damascus is more of a method (pattern welding). Which can be done with varying alloys, as well as patterns of course. Different alloys, different knife performance.
    ^This.

It's complicated, because a lot (but not all) of those nice Damascus-type blades are made with an "Asian" 15 degree edge double bevel, using steel alloys that tend to be just a bit harder (like a couple of Rockwell points), the metal a bit more brittle (there's a metric for this, too, but I forget what it is), and the blades noticeably thinner (maybe 50-60% as thick), than those used by European manufacturers. This adds up to blades that can get a sharper* edge, but which will wear a bit faster, ceterus parabus.

"Western" blades were traditionally beveled wider, about 20 degrees or so, and used softer alloys, resulting in blades that are perceived (but see asterisked comment below) as a bit less sharp, but with an edge that will hold up a little longer between strokes of the steel, at least in theory. In practice, if one is properly using quality sharp knives and properly steeling them, they'll all cut just fine, and hold up about the same.

Recently, many European makers have introduced "Asian-style knives, and introduced shallower-beveled knives in their "traditional" models, and I know at least one Asian maker that has introduced a "Western"-style blade.

Metaphorically, I liken my Asian blades more to sports cars, my Euro knives more like trucks, if that makes sense...or, since it's a bicycle forum, climbing bike vs. audax bike?

But unless one is doing a lot of cutting, the differences in "sharpness" and durability will likely be unnoticed by most. And as hoo noted, blade isn't everything; much like with bikes, the differences between one excellent ride and another end up as personal fit and preferences. E.g., Global knives, an excellent Asian brand, are so sharp one would think they could easily do a rabbi's next bris, but I don't like their narrow handles for my big paws, while Shun, another similarly sharp Asian blade, has D-patterned handles that I really like, so that's what I have for my paring knife (my go-to is a Western-style chef's knife). YMMV.

FWIW, at a lot of professional kitchens, processing plants, and other places where they do lots of cutting, management will provide inexpensive stainless steel knives, and have a service re-sharpen them weekly or so (which is about fifty times more often than most consumers would need). All that grinding will wear the knives out in months, vs. decades, but because the knives cost so much less than "good" knives (and are less likely to be stolen), it's worth it to them.

*"Sharper" is not without its controversy, too: Asian knife makers will tout the superior "sharpness" of their blade edges, and many consumers find them to be what they'd consider "sharper," but European makers counter than what is perceived as "sharpness" is actually lower friction (the shallower bevel of Asian knives making less contact with the material at the cut), resulting in a blade that passes across the cut surface more smoothly. Make of that what you will.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    I have some Wusthof and Henckel Knives as well. They cut really well. The bread knife above is amazing and the Santoku, cuts veggies really thin with ease. (the blades are thin) It is a different cutting action than a European Knife so you have to get used to that.
    My Dad sharpens them to razor sharpness and they hold their edges really well. The Top Knife is more western and is a total brute. The blade is thick, heavy and goes through bone like it isn't there.
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12