Knives (Lounge style)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Knives (Lounge style)

There's gotta be a few of us that collect knives, haven't there? I got into collecting knives in high school after a friend showed me a Bud-K catalog. I gravitated more toward the practical, cool knives, and he got hardcore into the movie props and fantasy stuff. Over the years, I've accrued quite a nice collection of EDC-type knives: all kinds of lockbacks and liner locks, a couple of multi-tools, and even an odd assortment of boxcutters. But, my pride and joy comes from DIY:

That little guy on the left was stamped locally, and I shaped the handle out of some sort of European (possibly Czech, but I don't remember) beechwood. I made the mistake of wetsanding the brass hilt with the wood already on, so it discolored the wood to the dusty brown it is today. I keep wanting to make a sheath for it.
    The cleaver in the center is something of a family heirloom. My great-great-grandfather was a butcher and left the cleaver blank (literally a stamped piece of metal in the shape of a cleaver) to my grandpa, who passed it on to me after I'd gotten into knifemaking. The scales are mahogany scraps from the local junior high.
    The Bowie on the right was built from a kit, and came with the sheath that it's pictured sitting on. The kit was purchased NOS from a secondhand sporting goods store and dates from sometime between 1992 and 1994. It's a CVA knife, which is a company normally known for making guns (I actually own one of their muzzleloaders), but they did a line of western/mountainman accessories in the late 80's and early 90's. No idea what wood the handle is, but I applied a nice Minwax antique walnut stain to it, then went nuts with a dozen or more coats of spar urethane.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Not Banned
    I will have to tale some pix. My dad found a company that does some lovely damascus blanks that he finishes. My last 2, a bread knife and a Santoku have spalted maple handles. I also have a Damascus Camp /Chef /Chopper hybrid he made me. It's a beast
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    But, my pride and joy comes from DIY:
    There is a chance to win $10K. One of my favorite shows on TV. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4680444/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Frog Whisperer
    I don't collect knives but I have dozens of them!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    I don't collect knives but I have dozens of them!
    So, this group of dozens... that's definitely not a collection? It's just a small group of knives?

Frog Whisperer
    So, this group of dozens... that's definitely not a collection? It's just a small group of knives?
    Nope just a bunch of knives.... Maybe 10? Not including kitchen knives

RoadBikeReview Member
    Knives are tools and having more than one knife isn't much different than having more than one saw or hammer. Having the tools for the job isn't necessarily a collection.
    Too old to ride plastic

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    I will have to tale some pix. My dad found a company that does some lovely damascus blanks that he finishes. My last 2, a bread knife and a Santoku have spalted maple handles. I also have a Damascus Camp /Chef /Chopper hybrid he made me. It's a beast
    You'll probably enjoy this video, one of my favorites:

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    And here, where he makes the 1000 layer damascus blank into 2700 layer damascus knife blade:

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    And here, where he makes the 1000 layer damascus blank into 2700 layer damascus knife blade:

My favorite knife is an old opinel. I have been thinking I need some Damascus steal but never thought of combining the two. Hmmm,.....
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

No collusion with the delusion

“Nationalism always breaks its promises because nationalists hate enemies in their countries more than they hate the enemies of their countries" The Guardian.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Knives are tools and having more than one knife isn't much different than having more than one saw or hammer. Having the tools for the job isn't necessarily a collection.
    (you mean like having 5 chainsaws?)
    Different tools for different jobs, exactly, I mean you wouldn't use a straight claw hammer for pulling nails if you had a curved claw nearby. (although my real preference is either a flatbar (I have 2) or a J shaped (I have 3). I carry either a Gerber, or Sheffield skeleton everyday, depending which I grab, they are both inexpensive and big enough to do stuff, although neither has a bottle opener!

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Got a Buck lock blade. Love it. We used to wear em to school if ya can believe that. Middle school that is.
    So I tuned the Larrivee, drop D, then DADGAD.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by proclaimer888 View Post
    Got a Buck lock blade. Love it. We used to wear em to school if ya can believe that. Middle school that is.
    had to send my folding hunter back to Buck for a new blade. As it turns out, hammering it through a 2 x 10 isn't that good an idea. Wore that on my belt for a really long time, probably close to 20 years.

RoadBikeReview Member

1: souvenir Nazi stiletto brought back by Dad

2: bayonet used for self defense

3: "gift" tanto

Alas, since I drew the blade of the tanto for the pic, one of my neighbors paid the blood honor.

Knives (Lounge style)-misc-blade-dscn1922.jpg

Attachment 324718

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post

1: souvenir Nazi stiletto brought back by Dad

2: bayonet used for self defense

3: "gift" tanto

Alas, since I drew the blade of the tanto for the pic, one of my neighbors paid the blood honor.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Misc - Blade-DSCN1922.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	131.7 KB 
ID:	324719

Attachment 324718
    Fare left end, is that a case for Garmin?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    Fare left end, is that a case for Garmin?
    SNORT!! A repurposed Palm Pilot pouch!! 'Memba dem? Usually holds a cell phone.

Non non normal
    I have 30 or 40 different knives. I don't really collect them.

Non non normal
    One of those cleavers has literally chopped off hundreds of goosenecks, legs, wings
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Knives (Lounge style)-img_20190209_202206617.jpg  
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

What the what???

Knives (Lounge style)

Crocodile Dundee laughs at your knife talk...

Meanwhile... in Texas

Last edited by Opus51569; 02-10-2019 at 08:45 AM.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've got a few Kershaw's, CRKT's, Boker's, and Spyderco's. I dream of a custom knife like the one by Stan Wilson in the video... Hearing him explain about matching the bands of Nickel and seeing the invisible lock release @ 10:25 is amazing.
    I'm still trying to dial my sharpening/honing technique so I also have a few of the higher-end chinese knives and Japanese whetstones.

https://youtu.be/xCW0TDikags
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Opinel. Beech wood handle, received in Bordeaux FR and all its entirety of tableware sovereignty from father to son or guest [my resort]. A half dozen pruning knives for our boat, maybe times 9. Opinel
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    Wonderful and informative video, and thanks.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    I'm kicking myself. At a gun/knife show several years ago, there was a booth with a bunch of Opinel folders for $15 or $20 or something. They seemed legit; super smooth feeling steel, none of that sticky stainless BudK crap, etched as "Made In France," and @eretz's beech handle. They were there for a few shows, then the vendor stopped showing up, and I didn't get a chance to buy one!

Sweet Potato Kugel
    @eretz's beech handle. They were there for a few shows, then the vendor stopped showing up, and I didn't get a chance to buy one!
    I was living in Francois Bellocq territory of Bordeaux at that time with the team Jacque Suire. Raced with his son and a great sprinter in his team, a Spaniard who's family owned a Mercedes dealership. When you sat with this family they all had a personal Opinel, plate side, to our right at lunch, the "meat" before a distant sunset criterium summer months when sometimes sun would set at 22h30. Five bikes on a roof and trunk with a Peugeot 505 turbo diesel considered as nouvelle riche.

We were just boys of the vigne.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast