Russian Troll Farmer

Laughing at inappropriate times

So, yesterday I was meeting with a funeral director due to my father's recent passing. I had to fill out a form for NY state to have his remains cremated. In bold letters, it says "CREMATION IS AN IRREVERSIBLE CHOICE", and I just started laughing. Even the funeral director laughed.

Well, I'm glad there was a little levity in an otherwise rather somber experience...
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    So, yesterday I was meeting with a funeral director due to my father's recent passing.
    My sympathies for your loss, Toulouse.
    Last edited by Eretz; 10-06-2018 at 08:22 AM.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

Frog Whisperer
    One irreversible situation followed by another. Sorry about dad. It's never easy.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

a real member's member
    laughing at inappropriate times

Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dad repeatedly expressed his wish to be cremated, so between that and my siblings needing to sign the form, formalities were perfunctory. Mom joined him not long after.

That led to probably the tackiest experience, ever. I had to sign some bills in the funeral director's office while Mom sat in a small cardboard box on the table.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    One irreversible situation followed by another. Sorry about dad. It's never easy.
    If the documentary Supernatural (okay.. corny TV show) has taught us anything.. no situation is beyond being reversed

RoadBikeReview Member
    Condolences on your loss but glad you can still eek out a laugh.

Years ago, the ER received a victim of being drunk and passed out on an active railroad.

It was a busy night of overflow patients along with a new class of interns so the staff was already on alert.

We got the squawk over the radio which described multiple amputations (both legs and an arm) and despite the patient load, were ready (you can get interns to do ANYTHING on their rotation's first night) when the patient arrived along with his missing limbs.

As the patient's immediate condition was assessed, someone (not me) lifted a severed leg and said "this patient doesn't have a leg to stand on". For a good ten seconds, the entire room fell out laughing... then, back to it.

The patient survived, his limbs did not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Very sorry about your dad Toulouse.

Have had to deal with this as my mother transitions to Medicaid and a nursing home- the spending-down process to qualify for Medicaid allows for a funeral.

Met with the local funeral home, reviewed the options, explained that mom just wants to be cremated and scattered at her parents' grave in Ireland. They said that it makes things a lot easier because there's no body to be transported, which some people insist upon.

"Really?" I said, "that seems insane. I'd be fine stuffed in the overhead bin, I really don't care, and neither does mom." Turns out this is actually possible- you can bring cremains as a carry-on!

But the funeral home insists on using a cremation-specific casket to the tune of $1k+. That seems wasteful, so I think a small ceremony on-site at the crematorium will be the way to go. The spending-down stuff seems like such a racket.

Russian Troll Farmer
    If you are going to fly with cremains, carry a death certificate, a certificate of cremation, and check what the laws concerning bringing cremains into Ireland BEFORE you go.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"