Leaf guard?

Thread: Leaf guard?

Russian Troll Farmer

Leaf guard?

I'm in the process of getting estimates to replace my roof. It's going to be a full tear-off sort of job, and I was considering some sort of leaf-guard at the same time. Now, the roofing contractor was trying to sell me an aluminum sort that screws on, and has small little holes (as opposed to the screen-mesh or the helmet type guards) on a more-or-less flat surface. I have about 120' of gutter, and this would cost about $1600. I can buy similar covers from big-box stores or Amazon for probably $300 for the amount I need. At that cost, it's probably worth my time to save the extra $1300, since I have ladders to access all my gutters (it's a ranch-style). I get the feeling that the contractor is making out like a bandit on his quote.

What I have to deal with yearly is not only a good amount of leaves, but also seeds from a large silver maple which reaches over part of my roof. I currently have a half-assed collection of screen covers, which I would say is about 2/3 effective, but looks kinda crappy.

So, I'm wondering if any of these systems are worth either the time of installation, or the money charged by installers? Anybody have experience with these things? Getting up to my gutters twice a year isn't a big deal, but it always seems that the weather doesn't cooperate when I NEED to clean them.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Weed
    I have not had good luck with any of the types that have holes or mesh. It just seems to allow all the small bits of crap to get in and makes cleaning the gutters more difficult ( I have to get up on the roof to clean part of mine out due to the way the land slopes) . My parents had the type with the full length metal covers on their house and that actually seemed to work for them (rarely required cleaning) but I know it was expensive.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by zyzbot View Post
    I have not had good luck with any of the types that have holes or mesh. It just seems to allow all the small bits of crap to get in and makes cleaning the gutters more difficult ( I have to get up on the roof to clean part of mine out due to the way the land slopes) . My parents had the type with the full length metal covers on their house and that actually seemed to work for them (rarely required cleaning) but I know it was expensive.
    watching this thread carefully, I have gutters and live in the woods, LEAVES.....SEEDS....STUFF.... is an issue, large screens did NOT work for me, the micro mesh seems to me like it would clog and the water would "waterfall" over the edge like there were no gutters at all! Bottom line is to keep the water AWAY from the foundation!!!!!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Banned forever.....or not
    "the micro mesh seems to me like it would clog and the water would "waterfall" over the edge like there were no gutters at all!"

Agree 110%....It might work if you only get light rain in your area.....I have oversized gutters on my house. With an extra hard downpour like we had today I still get a little waterfall. I go up on the roof in late spring and use a leaf blower to clean out the leaf casings and seeds, and again in November to blow out the dead leaves.
    If you didn't already have gutters, I would advise industrial size gutters and downspouts....with extensions to direct the water away.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    "the micro mesh seems to me like it would clog and the water would "waterfall" over the edge like there were no gutters at all!"

Agree 110%....It might work if you only get light rain in your area.....I have oversized gutters on my house. With an extra hard downpour like we had today I still get a little waterfall. I go up on the roof in late spring and use a leaf blower to clean out the leaf casings and seeds, and again in November to blow out the dead leaves.
    If you didn't already have gutters, I would advise industrial size gutters and downspouts....with extensions to direct the water away.
    I have the big-uns..... 6 inch! I clean them 3 or 4 times a year, and the "high side (30 ft from the ground) I have none! 12/12 pitch ain't for walking on, AT ALL! Every time I see the comercial on tv, where they say," guaranteed or we clean them" I wonder how that would work out!

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Get more quotes. If they are all similar price, then that should tell you something about the labor involved.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Click here to edit signature.

Sweet Potato Kugel

He might have a russian accent. ^ good review.

Another review above on Gutterglove in WA. above.

Below, what I use

Last edited by Eretz; 07-21-2019 at 02:07 PM.

Frog Whisperer
    We have 6 inch industrial gutters with 6 inch drops, on one side the drop delivers its contents into a 4 foot deep dry well, filled with 2 inch washed gravel, and drained from the bottom into a 4 inch non-perforated tile which terminate 20 feet from the foundation, 2 feet lower than the footing. I keep a screen on the top of the gravel to keep debris out of the gravel.. In the winter I bypass the dry well so it won't freeze and clog, and terminate 20 feet from the house and below footing as well. The low ( 1st story gutters get cleaned 2 or 3 times per year but it isn't that big a deal. I would be willing to bet anyone here that if I called one of the " if they ever need to be cleaned, we will come do it free" and they came and gave me a price, they would not make that offer.

Edit :sorry picture is upside down
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sweet Potato Kugel
    All this talk about drains makes me thursty.
    Last edited by Eretz; 07-25-2019 at 02:49 AM.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I'd second (or third) the advice to get large, over size gutters and down spouts. If you only have a one story house, they're pretty easy to clean yourself. I'm afraid of heights -- one side of my house is three stories off the ground -- and pay to get mine cleaned every year. The last house I had was one story and I did it myself. Every person who does exterior work or tries to sell me new siding/windows always comments on those gutters. Pass on the screens or covers and just get large gutters.

Seat's not level
    We tried one of the systems. Seemed to work well to keep the leaves out, but the big problem was icing when it snowed. We had 2 feet of ice coming off the gutters. Might try it again, but would put in an ice melt system along with it at some point. Currently it's not a priority, so it's just open gutters and an annual cleaning.
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

Russian Troll Farmer
    After researching all of the options given here (and a few others as well..), I've gone with the solution which seems to be not only the cheapest, but also the most reliable. I bought myself a [email protected]$$ Rigid 2.5" hose wet vac with the gutter cleaning attachment and an extra length of hose. I've already used it to remove roofing tearoff debris (really heavy stuff...), and it really works well FROM THE GROUND. OK, I'll still have to get out there every weekend that either the leaves or the seeds are falling, but it won't take more than an hour to clean all of my gutters completely.

Also, to keep from having small rafts of leaves/seeds from clogging the downspouts, I bought a bunch of those old-style 'birdcage' screens to put in the downspout outlet.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    After researching all of the options given here (and a few others as well..), I've gone with the solution which seems to be not only the cheapest, but also the most reliable. I bought myself a [email protected]$$ Rigid 2.5" hose wet vac with the gutter cleaning attachment and an extra length of hose. I've already used it to remove roofing tearoff debris (really heavy stuff...), and it really works well FROM THE GROUND. OK, I'll still have to get out there every weekend that either the leaves or the seeds are falling, but it won't take more than an hour to clean all of my gutters completely.

Also, to keep from having small rafts of leaves/seeds from clogging the downspouts, I bought a bunch of those old-style 'birdcage' screens to put in the downspout outlet.
    Yeah, I have a 3 horse wet/dry and a 25 foot hose, works for me!

RoadBikeReview Member
    in 5 years, there with has a drone capable of carrying a garden hose or blower... an a App!!!

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    in 5 years, there with has a drone capable of carrying a garden hose or blower... an a App!!!
    I actually saw a robotic gutter cleaner on Ask This Old House. I can just see having to get the ladder to rescue it!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    I actually saw a robotic gutter cleaner on Ask This Old House. I can just see having to get the ladder to rescue it!
    it calls 911 on itself and then jumps!

RoadBikeReview Member
    that cracked me up. A self aware robot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    It's full of factual errors. :nono:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    The one piece ones they form onsite work pretty well. That is what we used on the older house when we replaced the roof.

Frog Whisperer
    self aware AND self destructive! LOL........