Life gets in the way of cycling
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Life gets in the way of cycling

We are having awesome weather here in the mid-Atlantic region. Low 70's and sunny. I really, really wanted to ride today but our dishwasher broke and I promised my wife I would install the new one today. As usual a semi-simple job turned into an all-day affair. It took me over an hour to get the old dishwasher out. When I opened the new dishwasher I see it uses a proprietary plug connection vs a direct connect for electrical. So now I need a $20 adapter. I drive to a Lowe's (not my local one) that says they have the part. The Lowe's person and I searched the store and never found it. One hour wasted. I eventually found the part at another store, Next the discharge hose doesn't match my disposal inlet so more driving around looking for an adapter. All told I spent 5 hours on the project and am exhausted. I couldn't ride now even if it wasn't getting dark. Why can't life small crises happen when its raining?

Eddy 53:11
    Hire a pro!
    Live vicariously through yourself.
    There are no physical laws that govern the will.
    I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I'm down with today.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I would have done the dishes by hand, changed the DW on a rainy day!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Better yet, I would have had someone else in the house do dishes by hand till I got around to it! (but I do most of the cooking)
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

Proud luddite
    You should have invited your wife to empower herself and do the job herself.

And then you could empower yourself to sleep on the couch for a week. 😁

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    I believe if I told my wife I was going riding instead, I'd be sleeping in the garage

gazing from the shadows
    I assume any plumbing issue will take 3 trips to the store. If it's fewer, and it almost never is, that's a win.

Last time I discovered that not only did the hardware store NOT have the valve cores for my ancient shower, but they also did not the exact washer the funky thing took. That was a fun day.

A different washer seems to have worked, but I am not sure for how long it will last.

Oh, and as for just replacing the whole thing? The shower looks like it was for an RV or something, very close spacing of handles, not even a hint of a brand name on the casting. So a new unit will mean cutting a new hole and patching the old one. In a rickety basement half assed install job.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Boobies!
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    I assume any plumbing issue will take 3 trips to the store. If it's fewer, and it almost never is, that's a win.

Truth!

That's why the pros roll with those overburdened trucks!

FWIW, I'm not riding either in this perfect weather--leaves and wood splitting R us!
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
    -Hanlon's Razor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    Truth!

That's why the pros roll with those overburdened trucks!

FWIW, I'm not riding either in this perfect weather--leaves and wood splitting R us!
    If I go the the hardware store and there are several different parts that might work but I am not sure, I'll just buy them all to avoid another trip. Sometimes it works but not always

RoadBikeReview Member

Last time I discovered that not only did the hardware store NOT have the valve cores for my ancient shower, but they also did not the exact washer the funky thing took. That was a fun day.

A different washer seems to have worked, but I am not sure for how long it will last.

Oh, and as for just replacing the whole thing? The shower looks like it was for an RV or something, very close spacing of handles, not even a hint of a brand name on the casting. So a new unit will mean cutting a new hole and patching the old one. In a rickety basement half assed install job.
    Sears. My mother had a bathroom sink that had a Sears faucet that had centers that didn't match anything, and replacement parts that didn't match anything but what Sears had. Unless she changed the sink, which she wouldn't, she was tied to Sears for replacement parts, which had to be ordered. A Royal pain in the ass.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    If I go the the hardware store and there are several different parts that might work but I am not sure, I'll just buy them all to avoid another trip. Sometimes it works but not always
    This is what I do as well. After 8 years of owning our house I have quite a collection of random extras, however they still rarely seem to be right for anything. And sometimes I'll get into a project and go through a bunch of extra messing around to make what I have work, only to find some insurmountable obstacle that I end up running to the store for anyway.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    So, waste money or make another trip back to return things. Yep. Been there. The "returns" trip is part of the fun!

Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Sears.
    That makes sense as a possible source. Given the age of things I was dealing with, which seems to predate most big box stores, and just how common Sears used to be as a go to place for many. I assume a lot of Sears supplies evolved out of the times when they sold complete house kits, which might explain their non-standard parts 50+ years later.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by bilbo View Post
    This is what I do as well. After 8 years of owning our house I have quite a collection of random extras, however they still rarely seem to be right for anything....
    ^This.

I've lived in my house, an older home by 'merican standards, for twenty-some years, and my collection of random extras is like a miniature museum of outdated construction technologies and tools.
    Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Donald Trump has never won a popular vote in a governmental election.

There are over 13 million covid cases in the United States (as of Thanksgiving), eleven months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    So, waste money or make another trip back to return things. Yep. Been there. The "returns" trip is part of the fun!

That makes sense as a possible source. Given the age of things I was dealing with, which seems to predate most big box stores, and just how common Sears used to be as a go to place for many. I assume a lot of Sears supplies evolved out of the times when they sold complete house kits, which might explain their non-standard parts 50+ years later.
    The house my wife grew up in was a Sears house. Not sure if it was a shell or included a complete interior though