Lightening the load, streamlining, simplifying
    remodeling...me

Lightening the load, streamlining, simplifying

Since we finished the remodeling of our home I'm trying to clear out some of my stuff. It's really hard.
    Tonight I'm sorting through my VHS tapes...yes I know but some of these movies aren't even available on DVD. I worked in a video store in the early 90s
    Next I have to sort through my CD's and load them onto the computer. Then I have to go through my record albums again some are not replaceable...not music but spoken word albums from a school library collection.
    I have a collection of books to get rid of too, 2 boxes of Louis L'amour **sigh**

The dishes, china, wall art, decorations, etc are easy but these items are killing me. Collections are hard to let go of because no one else values them like you do...unless you collect the right things and I didn't collect things for their future value.

P.S. Just remembered the boxes of classic movie scrapbooks and books, and other moive memorabilia...eeek. Really don't know what to do about that. already sold most of the posters and store displays...
    Zeytin

"Wow, Alex...way to pee in the guy's Wheaties..." ~Opus51569

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by zeytin
    Since we finished the remodeling of our home I'm trying to clear out some of my stuff. It's really hard.
    Tonight I'm sorting through my VHS tapes...yes I know but some of these movies aren't even available on DVD. I worked in a video store in the early 90s
    Next I have to sort through my CD's and load them onto the computer. Then I have to go through my record albums again some are not replaceable...not music but spoken word albums from a school library collection.
    I have a collection of books to get rid of too, 2 boxes of Louis L'amour **sigh**

The dishes, china, wall art, decorations, etc are easy but these items are killing me. Collections are hard to let go of because no one else values them like you do...unless you collect the right things and I didn't collect things for their future value.

P.S. Just remembered the boxes of classic movie scrapbooks and books, and other moive memorabilia...eeek. Really don't know what to do about that. already sold most of the posters and store displays...
    My huge record collection is slowly but surely going onto the computer. It will be hard to give up the albums themselves. Some I will keep, but most wil go.

Last year I took all of our VHS tapes and ripped them to the computer. The only ones I couldn't do were the Disney ones with copy protection. Some stuff I just let go without doing that as we already had it on DVD or we just didn't want it anymore. Took all the tapes to the local consignment auction and got enough to buy one DVD

I've got about half my giant CD collection (almost 1000 at last count) on the computer. A few years ago I put them all in books and tossed the cases. That made a HUGE differnce in space. I'm mainly putting them on teh computer so I can listen to them when travelling with my iPod.

I brought home a bunch of stuff from my dad's house. Mainly, all the stuff I had stored there over the years, books, childhood stuff, etc. About half just went into the garbage or to Goodwill, another quarter went on Ebay. Childhood artwork, report cards, etc, which I was just oging to toss, I took into work and scanned to PDF on our big scanner/copier, then tossed it. Some of hte better toys I gave to my daughter (and there weren't many).

I'm also scanning all my slides and negatives, but that is mainly so I have a backup. I have a lot of slides of my mom's artwork, most of which she sold (she was a commission weaver. she passed away in 1977), plus all my underwater stuff.

It's hard. We both tend to be packrats. I go to a lot of thrift shops, and it's really hard to pass up a good deal. I do find a lot to sell on Ebay though.

Plus, every now and then I clean out my shop. I have a tendency to save scraps of sheetmetal and bolts/screws, and need to just toss it all sometimes.

We have a lot of stuff in a small house. But, I have a lot of stuff intensive hobbies, like books, music, cars (I have three in various stages of disassembly). It's hard to keep on top of it but I try to make sure now that whatever comes in, an equal amount goes out. So, I might buy that #8 Griswold for $2, but I'll give it away (no way am I replacing my smooth as silk #8 Wagner) or sell it.
    Last edited by Andy69; 12-26-2009 at 04:01 PM.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

remodeling...me
    How did you transfer VHS to computer?
    Zeytin

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Oooh. Good luck.

Fortunately for me I'm somewhat of a minimalist. Regular trips to the garbage and/or dump. I tend to only hold on to stuff that's significantly important.

When I sell this place, almost EVERYTHING, will go.

I like the thought that says, if you haven't used it for a year or more, you probably don't need it. But I can see the value of hanging onto old music/video collection and stuff like that.

Speaking of the subject...I think my garage needs another clearing out. Desperately. And all my drawers...ugh. See what you did? I'm thinking about all the [email protected] I need to clean/get rid of.

Thanks. Thanks a lot.

Ricardo Cabeza
    How did you transfer VHS to computer?
    You need an analog to digital converter. They are I think around $75, so you really have to have a lot of tapes to make it worth it. But, most digital camcorders have a pass through digitizer, so if you already have one of those, you are set. I used our Canon, and put it between the VCR and the computer. I used iMovie as the software.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

We're no better than mice
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69
    You need an analog to digital converter.
    There are "PLAY" VCR to DVD record players out there too.
    Last edited by EverydayRide; 12-26-2009 at 06:12 PM.

remodeling...me
    Oh noooo! I found my Kinder toy collection! I even have a Kinder Creche complete with light up star!
    Zeytin

Ricardo Cabeza
    Oh noooo! I found my Kinder toy collection! I even have a Kinder Creche complete with light up star!
    Ebay!

SuperAndy's Garage

Power Napper
    Trouble with getting rid of albums is the cover art. Do you ditch the vinyl and keep the cardboard???
    "When it shall be said in any country in the world, my poor are happy; neither ignorance nor distress is to be found among them; my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars; the aged are not in want, the taxes are not oppressive; the rational world is my friend, because I am the friend of its happiness: when these things can be said, then may that country boast its constitution and its government." -Thomas Paine

Misfit Toy
    Quote Originally Posted by theBreeze
    Trouble with getting rid of albums is the cover art. Do you ditch the vinyl and keep the cardboard???
    I suppose if you really love the album art, you could frame it.
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen
    I suppose if you really love the album art, you could frame it.
    Excellent idea!! AND.... if you do that, you may as well keep the vinyl inside the cover anyway.

supervillain

Boobies!
    We're planning a big purge when we get properly moved back in--we have less stuff than we would have had we stayed in one place longer, but more stuff than two people could possibly need.

Some "buildup" is the result of two places of residence for a while, some the result of going weak at the critical "throwing out" moment.

But right now we are in my m-in-law's house, and the "buildup" is so horrifying that it makes both of us want to go back and start pitching things.

It's always nice to imagine a second life for the stuff that's too good to bin, but you want to get rid of, though.

Yesterday we were in the local Restore--the Habitat for Humanity place, and it gives one more possibility for getting rid of surplus "project" stuff and building materials. Along with the usual Goodwill and such, when we left Seattle we found a local charity whose specialty was providing "interview" clothes for inner city folks trying for first jobs--my wife shed about half of her closet and felt good about it.

And we have been making good use of the Free section on Craigslist for some of the things we removed in the remodel and will not be re-using.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
    -Hanlon's Razor

still shedding season
    A few years ago we stopped at a restaurant back in civilization after spending a week kayaking and wilderness camping on Lake Superior. The people at the next table were on a mission to get people to "divorce your stuff!". They had recently done this, were on a massive road trip and were having the time of their lives. We were eating one last meal together before heading back to the daily grind... They may have had a point.

half-fast
    I struggle with this, but am getting better since I paid the junk hauler to drag away a huge load of garage stuff for around 200 bucks.

It would have ben more, but there was a young broke fella who couldn't believe that I was throwing away all that good stuff. He relieved me of a few carloads.

All your good junk is still gonna be good junk to somebody. We also have a local consignment auction, which won't bring much, but you never know what people will buy. Try to find one near hillbilly people. We buy all kinds of dumb stuff.

My grandpa loved LL books, maybe you could send some of them to a nursing home? Another thought on books - Hospital gift shops sometimes have a small rack of used books. Donate them there maybe, and somebody will have options other than teh romance novels that are in such great supply.

Good luck, and you'lll have to be ever vigilant after. My garage is probably ready to get more stuff tossed again, but it is all such good stuff that I might need later...

remodeling...me
    Quote Originally Posted by 10ae1203
    My garage is probably ready to get more stuff tossed again, but it is all such good stuff that I might need later...
    This is the problem. I've been good about not buying more lately so clearing out will make a big difference. I hope to make enough money help with the purchase of a china cabinet.
    Zeytin

waterproof*
    Quote Originally Posted by OldEndicottHiway
    Oooh. Good luck.

Fortunately for me I'm somewhat of a minimalist. Regular trips to the garbage and/or dump. I tend to only hold on to stuff that's significantly important.

When I sell this place, almost EVERYTHING, will go.

I like the thought that says, if you haven't used it for a year or more, you probably don't need it. But I can see the value of hanging onto old music/video collection and stuff like that.

Speaking of the subject...I think my garage needs another clearing out. Desperately. And all my drawers...ugh. See what you did? I'm thinking about all the [email protected] I need to clean/get rid of.

Thanks. Thanks a lot.

if you have any old undies you don't need anymore....
    * not actually a Rock Star

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    I love simplifying. It's so liberating.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm slowly cleaning/discarding unused stuff as well...nothign of value...but thanks to my mother i am a packrat..

Since buiing my own house i have given my paper schredder a good workout on just bout a daily basis.
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb
    I see. So the "Information Superhighway" has a bike lane then? Cool!