A little fish(ing) story...
    'brifter' is f'ing stupid

A little fish(ing) story...

I've been wanting to try fly fishing for years. I finally bought a rig a couple weeks ago and have been collecting some of the needed bits. Went to Alpine Lake on Mt Tam last week, some fish were rising and going after whatever was on the surface but I didn't get a nibble...at least from a fish. Caught a nice tree at one point.
    Today I went to the adjacent lake, Bon Tempe. Found a nice little shady spot and picked a random fly. After about 10 mins I got a bite but didn't set the hook well enough and he got away. A couple minutes later I got another hit and didn't make the same mistake. My first fish with my new rig:

#promechaniclife

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I've been wanting to try fly fishing for years. I finally bought a rig a couple weeks ago and have been collecting some of the needed bits.
    Shimano right?

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    That's cool.

I like fly fishing in theory........but I like catching fish even more so always end up going back to using lures.

I know guys who do really well with fly fishing though so I assume it's because I suck at it. I can actually cast pretty will but clueless on what to use when. Never caught anything but sunfish and perch myself which a 2 year old could catch with a bare hook.

PS. For some reason I can never see pictures you post. Is there another method you could try? I'd actually really like to see this one (I'm assuming it's a pic of the fish)

Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Shimano right?

No, but I think we can get pro-deal on their stuff once a year. That's cool, I'll have to look into it!
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    You know cx, the proper sub forum to post this in is ............ Beginners Corner 😄

I never got into fresh water fishing but always loved salt water fishing. You never knew what you were going to reel in, and it could be scary getting the hook out of the creature you landed.

Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    You know cx, the proper sub forum to post this in is ............ Beginners Corner 😄

I never got into fresh water fishing but always loved salt water fishing. You never knew what you were going to reel in, and it could be scary getting the hook out of the creature you landed.
    No doubt!
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    Welcome to the club! Learning to fly cast decently is key, and then you're hooked. Moreso than any fish. Fortunately fly rods and reels are less expensive than bikes. Unfortunately, fly fishing gear takes up less storage space than bikes. At least I know how many bikes I have. I don't know how many fly rods I have, but I know it's somewhere north of 30. Keep in mind that it's an addiction. One of my greatest fears is that I'll die, and my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Steve98501 View Post
    Welcome to the club! Learning to fly cast decently is key, and then you're hooked. Moreso than any fish. Fortunately fly rods and reels are less expensive than bikes. Unfortunately, fly fishing gear takes up less storage space than bikes. At least I know how many bikes I have. I don't know how many fly rods I have, but I know it's somewhere north of 30. Keep in mind that it's an addiction. One of my greatest fears is that I'll die, and my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it . . .

Thanks! I've got a couple of really close friends that are really into it, they've warned me! So far I really enjoy it, it's very different from most things I've done as hobbies. I seem to have picked up the basics of casting pretty well but I am quite sure I have tons to learn.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    _____

half-fast
    Nice

It can be a good time

It can be frustrating too

Have fun

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Nice catch cx, it looks like you're hooked.

yes, i'm a sucker for bad puns. ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nice, congrats. Did you put it back or clean it and grill it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I Fly Fish Too.
    Been doing it awhile
    Very Nice fish you got.
    Just like you doing... Release
    the trout in a recovery area. Protected. Resuscitate, Give it some time to awake.
    Looks like you got that going.
    Last edited by rudge66; 1 Week Ago at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post
    I Fly Fish Too.
    Been doing it awhile
    Very Nice fish you got.
    Just like you doing... Release
    the trout in a recovery area. Protected. Resuscitate, Give it some time to awake.
    Looks like you got that going.
    Yeah, he fought some so by the time I landed him he seemed kind bushed. The hook came out easy and I held him for a bit just so he could relax and he swam away like it was no big deal. Wish I could get out there more than once or twice a week.
    #promechaniclife

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Awesome. I love fly fishing, but am unable to do it on my own. I don't know how to set up the lines and stuff.

It's pretty basic. The only remotely difficult part is adding tippet to your leader after you've changed flies a bunch. It's so small the knots take a bit of fiddling but there are so many good videos on YT that show you how to tie them.
    #promechaniclife

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I was into fly fishing when I was a kid. Went to some really nice mountain streams. Had decent equipment, including waders. Never caught a gottdam thing. But I'd see the old men hauling in their limit of rainbow trout, from 2 foot deep pools adjacent to rapids.

I'd end up putting away the fly rig and getting out my Zebco reel and rod, with some cheese or worms as bait. Still no luck in the mountain trout streams.

Never Give Up!
    CX that's a nice little trout, have fun.

... I used to fish all the time growing up in the Pacific North West (Oregon) fishing for Rainbow/Brown/Brook Trout, Bass and Salmon/Steel-head. There is nothing like being on a lake and/or river very early in the morning with nothing but the serenity of the morning and the sounds of running water, birds and other wildlife...
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2010 Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    After about 10 mins I got a bite but didn't set the hook well enough and he got away. A couple minutes later I got another hit and didn't make the same mistake. My first fish with my new rig:
    Given the fishing pressure that HAS to be on those spots near Tam, getting a fish is quite an accomplishment! Those fish see a lot of attempts, so well done. Have fun with it!

Consider Redding CA, which gives chances of getting some large ones (I'm no expert but I have heard about Redding). You might want to check that out for a future trip if you get into it more and more. Close enough for a 1-2 day trip, far enough from population to take some pressure off the fish.
    Stout beers under trees, please.