Live music outdoors sucks or
    Daylight Fading

Live music outdoors sucks or

"BT's just getting old and grumpy"

OK, here's the story.

One of my all time favorite bands is/are the Counting Crows (yas, yas Adam Duritz can be a bit of a depressive, but so what, love him!) Hence, the avatar! And they're out touring this Summer (with the Goo Goo Dolls). What's best is that they are not out touring in support of a new album. So I go to see them in Mansfield MA, the Tweeter Center (aka Great Woods for those old enought to remember). It's an outdoor venue that probably seats about 10,000, mostly covered assigned seating with a pretty big area of open, lawn seating in an amphitheater style setting. Now, I've been to the Tweeter Center before, so I won't go on about the completely awful parking/exiting issues or how mediocre the sound is.

So I go, knowing that in the Summer in New England, just about any nice day/evening that involves almost any outdoor gathering, usually involves alcohol. Heck, I was at a Little League game a month ago and several fathers and uncles (me) were passing around a flask whilst we smoked our cigars and cheered in a civil manner for our kids. But this concert was something else. It was booze-a-palooza. And it made it less fun for me. I mean, I really dig this band and had never seen them live. I went for the music. Not the booze. There were lots and lots of guys (my age, mind you mid-30's) that were bombed out of there mind. They were for the most part pretty civil, just very, very sloppy. Falling in the stands, constantly up and down and up and down and up and down. Spilling beer, everywhere! (NO, I won't go into how poorly they sang along!)

So I ask, what's a guy to do? Do I just accept that the outdoor Summer concert series is basically an old guy Frat party and get over it? Do I become my mother, a woman who lives, eats, and breathes the Red Sox but will not go to Fenway specifically because it detracts from her watching the damn game? Ahhhh, have I become her?

I really, really love live music. This is the first time where I felt that the venue really didn't enhance the experience. Am I just getting old or is this what I get for going sober?

BT
    "If dreams are like movies, then memories are films about ghosts." A. Duritz

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebob

I really, really love live music. This is the first time where I felt that the venue really didn't enhance the experience. Am I just getting old or is this what I get for going sober?

BT
    My 4c..

If it's too loud then you're too old. Concerts are for being around fellow music lovers and enjoying an evening with a band. Listen to a CD if you want a great sonic experience. While nobody likes to be around a sloppy drunk it's unrealistic to think that everyone attending a rock concert will be stone sober and sit down the whole time while you listen. Wait...were you the boring couple sitting next to me at Red Rocks for the CSNY show? Never stood up and glared at anyone who dared to cheer or sing along?

//PS...your old....so am I.

///PPS Concerts are a $$ ripoff for the most part anymore.

////PPPS I think the only concert I attended totally sober was when I took my 10 year old to see Green Day.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Sep 2005
    I just think the Tweeter Center/Great Woods is a "blah" place to see a show. Throw in a bunch of obnoxious people, and there is no way to see a show there and enjoy it. Go to a concert somewhere better before deciding if you are too old to go to concerts or not.

As a season ticket holder, I think going to Fenway is the best way to see a game... and I hope to one day have ass grooves in my seat so deep, that anyone else who sits in my seat suffers severe discomfort (or more discomfort than normal since I don't think my seat has been changed since the fire).
    Mmm... Something...

Back from the dead
    A couple of years ago someone gave me tickets to see Dave Matthews at the Shoreline Amphitheater. I'm not a huge fan, but it was a free ticket, and what the hell? Shoreline is an outdoor venue with about one-third reserved seats and the rest a big lawn with "festival" seating. I went hoping to hear the band, but everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, in the lawn section was talking throughout the whole show. I don't think I ever really heard the band. Even if I could barely see the band, I had hopes that I could hear them, even with the standard crappy outdoor sound system.

I don't get how people will spend $50 or more, each, for a ticket and $20 for parking, plus $10 a beer, so they can party with their friends and talk over the band. How stupid is that, when you can do the same thing in dozens of nearby places, for a fraction of the price.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair
    A couple of years ago someone gave me tickets to see Dave Matthews at the Shoreline Amphitheater. I'm not a huge fan, but it was a free ticket, and what the hell? Shoreline is an outdoor venue with about one-third reserved seats and the rest a big lawn with "festival" seating. I went hoping to hear the band, but everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, in the lawn section was talking throughout the whole show. I don't think I ever really heard the band. Even if I could barely see the band, I had hopes that I could hear them, even with the standard crappy outdoor sound system.

I don't get how people will spend $50 or more, each, for a ticket and $20 for parking, plus $10 a beer, so they can party with their friends and talk over the band. How stupid is that, when you can do the same thing in dozens of nearby places, for a fraction of the price.
    Dude...next to the Grateful Dead and Phish the DMB is probably the biggest stoner-rock band going. WTF did you expect?
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Back from the dead
    I guess I expected to hear the music. I'm neither a Dead fan nor a Phish fan, but from what I remember, it wasn't the stoners doing most of the talking. They were having a good time and not bothering anyone. The noise seemed to come mostly from the self-important silicon valley types talking about mergers and stocks and business crap and how much money they make. It was very annoying. One thing I learned about DMB concerts is that there are an awful lot of very attractive woment who go. The scenery was stunning.

Genitive Declensioner
    One thing I learned about DMB concerts is that there are an awful lot of very attractive woment who go. The scenery was stunning.
    The Only reason to go to a DMB show imo.....
    Big Fan of the Callipygian Way
    "The collards tore my wife's stomach up and with her being pregnant and constipated it made for a smelly ride to the cabin in north Georgia." -gut
    "The term "steeping" brings to mind "tea-bagging" and, on far too many levels, I'm simply not comfortable with that." -antonio_b
    "People think maggots are a bad thing, but I'll bet they ate most of the feces he has been sitting in for the last two years. Go maggots! -Mohair

Beetpull DeLite
    I've been to two outdoor concerts, Depeche Mode and Nine Inch Nails. The DM concert was great - people of all ages, no drunks, everyone's just sitting around, watching and listening.

The NIN one was awful. Annoying drunk people, groups of kids standing around talking and hugging on each other (why bother paying for the show?!), and a huge group of unruly guys running around in a circle jumping on each other. Mosh pits are one thing, but this was ridiculous. I was on the floor at another NIN concert and it was absolutely tame compared to this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    One thing I learned about DMB concerts is that there are an awful lot of very attractive woment who go. The scenery was stunning.
    So it wasn't a complete waste of time then.

I haven't been to a concert since...I don't remember. The last one may have been in 1977 when Teh Who and Teh Grateful Dead played Oakland Alameda Coliseum. They don't sound like fun to me any more and cost too much.

Shirtcocker
    I guess I expected to hear the music. I'm neither a Dead fan nor a Phish fan, but from what I remember, it wasn't the stoners doing most of the talking. They were having a good time and not bothering anyone. The noise seemed to come mostly from the self-important silicon valley types talking about mergers and stocks and business crap and how much money they make. It was very annoying. One thing I learned about DMB concerts is that there are an awful lot of very attractive woment who go. The scenery was stunning.
    Yeah I had a similar experience at a Jimmy Buffett concert. Nothing worse than a large group of loud drunken lawyers. Gimme a bunch of stoned hippies anytime.

I'm wearing 4" stilettos
    I stopped going to concerts years ago.
    When I was in my 20s I could stand on a seat for 2 hours barely able to see what was going on, and not care.
    As soon as I started saying things like "I wish these people would sit down and shut up so I can ejoy the show" I knew I had passed my prime and it was time to pack it in.

Your best bet is to wait until you're over 40 and your favorite bands/singers are pushing 60, then you can go see them in Vegas where the whole crowd comes just to sit and listen. Ahhhhhh......old age has it's advantages.

"Dismissed. That's a Starfleet expression for "get out." - Capt. Janeway

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Mocat4
    I stopped going to concerts years ago.
    When I was in my 20s I could stand on a seat for 2 hours barely able to see what was going on, and not care.
    As soon as I started saying things like "I wish these people would sit down and shut up so I can ejoy the show" I knew I had passed my prime and it was time to pack it in.

Your best bet is to wait until you're over 40 and your favorite bands/singers are pushing 60, then you can go see them in Vegas where the whole crowd comes just to sit and listen. Ahhhhhh......old age has it's advantages.
    I think you're aging in reverse Mocat.

off the back
    don't really care for large shows. an auditorium show is about the largest i really can enjoy, although stadium shows are ok if the band and atmosphere's right, and it's a stellar evening. but the tent/festival/lawn shows in the daytime are just not my kind of thing. just not really a vibe conducive for a good show.
    "Damn. Y'all murdered the sh*t out that mutherf***er"

I'm wearing 4" stilettos
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    I think you're aging in reverse Mocat.

egads! you've discovered my master plan. First I will partake of the forbiddon alkeyhol, stay up all night partying and thow up on the dryer, find a way to regain my virginity, ask my mom if I can have my old room back (complete with the Elton John and Wham posters), break out my old matchbox cars and GI joes, learn to ride a bike again, and go through potty training....if all goes according to plan I will soon be a fetus floating in outer space ala Dave "2001" Bowman.
    If you try to stop me it will curtains for you, see, curtains!

Oh, they're lovely!

"Dismissed. That's a Starfleet expression for "get out." - Capt. Janeway

FTMD
    Quote Originally Posted by svend
    The Only reason to go to a DMB show imo.....

Last night in STL........Widespread Panic......free ticket. Same thing......stunning scenery. I expected an older crowd. Was surprised by the mid-twenties scene and all the hotties.

Genitive Declensioner
    Quote Originally Posted by FTMD
    Was surprised by the mid-twenties scene and all the hotties.
    I'd say that's a nice surprise.....I need to get out more and be surprised
    Big Fan of the Callipygian Way
    "The collards tore my wife's stomach up and with her being pregnant and constipated it made for a smelly ride to the cabin in north Georgia." -gut
    "The term "steeping" brings to mind "tea-bagging" and, on far too many levels, I'm simply not comfortable with that." -antonio_b
    "People think maggots are a bad thing, but I'll bet they ate most of the feces he has been sitting in for the last two years. Go maggots! -Mohair

Daylight Fading

So maybe it's the venue more than anything.

Well, okay, it's me too.

Come to think of it I think it's more me than anything else. I started thinking about the most recent concerts and the choices I've made are rather telling.

Alison Krause and US - inside arena, lilly white older crowd
    Indigo Girls - 2 times, inside and outside, all lesbo crowd, lesbo's don't drink
    Gypsy Kings - outdoor (Fleet Pavillion, Boston), twice, older crowd, wine only crowd

I think that I'm just old. For that matter, I love the Beastie Boys (again, showing my age) but I don't think that I'd go see them in concert. Sad. I guess I'm turning a page....wait till I tell my wife.

BT
    "If dreams are like movies, then memories are films about ghosts." A. Duritz

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebob
    Indigo Girls - 2 times, inside and outside, all lesbo crowd, lesbo's don't drink
    sez who? The 3-4 times I've seen IG the lesbians were partying plenty hard. Many lacked basic fashion sense, but they definately drank beer.

scruffy nerf herder
    Accoustically it will suck. If it doesnt suck.. then you will lose hearing cuz you are too close. Outdoor shows pretty much are for the partiers... unless of course you are seeing the Statler Brothers live at Six Flags or something. I got some pretty eye opening experiences at my first big outdoor concert... I came from a smallish town.. then went to the first Lallapalooza. It was insane. I saw many things a smallish town boy had never seen. So... I went to Lallapalooza II, which was a far freakier concert overall... but I was quite amazed at the amount of people that could get injured at an outdoor concert. Alcohol, drugs, and people flipping people about on blankets, and an incessant mosh pit that spewed people, shoes, dust, and miscreants out onto the lawn like some kind of stationary tornado that reeked of BO, patchouli, and spilled beer. It was remarkable, and mercilessly hot. So... the ambulances were quite busy.
    so sayeth the funk....

Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The RBR Lounge. You won't ever find a more wretched hive of scum and villany. We must be cautious."