Lost our dog - RIP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Lost our dog - RIP

Our 6 year-old Newfoundland had a UTI a few weeks ago. She got some antibiotics and seemed to get better. But the vet said her liver results were high and the UTI might not explain that. She got back to normal but then this past Monday it appeared she had a new UTI. More meds but this time she just deteriorated. By Wednesday she wanted to stay in the garage or backyard and did not want to come inside. By Friday she couldn't stand. It took 3 of us the carry her 140lbs to the van. We took her to our vet who gave her an IV sent us to a place with an ICU. There we learned that she had liver failure and heart SVT. She had 3 seizures in the ICU. They could not exactly pinpoint the cause but the next step would have been a liver biopsy and she probably wouldn't have survived the procedure. We made the tough decision to put her to sleep. This was very hard on my wife as this is more her dog. When we got home my wife immediately went around the house and threw away every, bowl, toy, snack, etc. belonging to the dog. Here's a photo of her enjoying the blizzard of 2016
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sorry to hear, losing a dog is one of the harder things in life and for many of us, we go through it way to often.

Sadly, Newfoundland's have a short lifespan (average 8 years) and cancer or liver failure is one of the issues. Much like us, we own Shar Pei's and they suffer from Shar Pei fever, which they are the only breed to suffer from ... it causes kidney failure.

If I were you, I'd go dig out some of those toys ... then hide them. Once the grief has subsided, she will likely want something to remember her by ... and if you bring another dog into your life, giving them toys from past dogs is kind of a legacy.
    Voting isn't marriage - it's public transport. You are not waiting for "The One" who is absolutely perfect. You are getting on the bus, and if there isn't one going exactly to your destination you don't stay at home and sulk - you take the one going closest to where you want to be!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker View Post
    Sorry to hear, losing a dog is one of the harder things in life and for many of us, we go through it way to often.

Sadly, Newfoundland's have a short lifespan (average 8 years) and cancer or liver failure is one of the issues. Much like us, we own Shar Pei's and they suffer from Shar Pei fever, which they are the only breed to suffer from ... it causes kidney failure.

If I were you, I'd go dig out some of those toys ... then hide them. Once the grief has subsided, she will likely want something to remember her by ... and if you bring another dog into your life, giving them toys from past dogs is kind of a legacy.
    I think it was just painful for my wife the see those things. She decided to keep a few of our dog's favorite toys. She ordered a small "tombstone" and we plan to bury her ashes when our adult daughter visits next month

We had a Newfie before this one and she lived to 12 which is very unusual. That may have raised our expectations a bit high.

Neophyte
    Sorry for your loss. Have lost a dog too early before, it's the worst.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Sorry for your loss. Have lost a dog too early before, it's the worst.
    I assume there will be a few months of recovery, followed by another dog. Perhaps a rescue dog this time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    Having started a lost pet thread before, I know it hurts. Hang in there; time will heal. If there's an up side, it's that even now she is bringing out the best in you.

gazing from the shadows
    So sudden, that makes a very hard situation even harder.

I am sorry for your loss, and very sorry for your wife who has lost what was clearly a special friend. We all know things get better, but we all know how much it hurts until it does. Take care of each other as best you can.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Master debator.
    Sorry to hear about your loss. It will take a while, and the process of grieving sux
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Neophyte
    Yeah, the time will come as you know. We thought it would be a long time but for us it ended up being only a few months before we adopted another.

Darling of The Lounge
    Sorry for your loss.

Newfoundlands are such a sweet and gentle breed. My wife and I are always smitten watching the Westminster dog show on TV and seeing a Newfie lumbering down the ring, handler by its side with a drool rag at the ready

Take solace in knowing you made the right decision to let Nixie crossover with dignity and the lifetime of love and attention you gave her was time well spent.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2020
    Sorry for your loss, our Bernese Mtn dog went out the same way, also at a young age. Definitely keep some mementos of the dog, you will appreciate them down the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    sorry for your loss...

Spicy Dumpling
    Sorry Dave. Losing a pet is tougher than non-pet owners understand. The Missus lost her Dachsund in 1998 and she still cries on occasion. But she also smiles thinking about her a lot. Our hound sends a doggie hug.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

half-fast
    Dogs are a gift

Sorry to hear about your pup. They really get in our hearts

A Story of Love
    Sucks lots. Sorry that happened to you and your family, of which doggie is one.

All dogs go to Heaven, but it hurts when they go too soon.

Or even when they donít.
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did ó peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Sys: COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL. VOTE in November.

Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Dave -- you did the right thing. Over the years, I've had to euthanize several dogs and cats. I always am in the room when they get the shot. It actually makes me feel better knowing they didn't suffer.

Last dog was Great Dane. I adopted him from a rescue. Wonderful dog -- huge (190 lbs). Like Newfies, they don't live long. Mine had a stroke. I still think about him -- and it was almost 20 years ago. Let some time pass. A new pet will find you. Unfortunately for me, it was cats.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Dave -- you did the right thing. Over the years, I've had to euthanize several dogs and cats. I always am in the room when they get the shot. It actually makes me feel better knowing they didn't suffer.

Last dog was Great Dane. I adopted him from a rescue. Wonderful dog -- huge (190 lbs). Like Newfies, they don't live long. Mine had a stroke. I still think about him -- and it was almost 20 years ago. Let some time pass. A new pet will find you. Unfortunately for me, it was cats.
    The vet hospital handled it nicely. They let us come back to the ICU and had laid blankets on the floor for us to lie next to her. We like Danes also. Nixie had a Great Dane dog pal in the neighborhood that she liked to play with. I always tried to stay back as either of them could accidentally knock you down

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    The vet hospital handled it nicely. They let us come back to the ICU and had laid blankets on the floor for us to lie next to her. We like Danes also. Nixie had a Great Dane dog pal in the neighborhood that she liked to play with. I always tried to stay back as either of them could accidentally knock you down
    I always ask to be in the room -- sometimes it surprises the vets. It happens almost instantaneously. People should have that option.

My Great Dane was a fawn with floppy ears. Stood 3" at the shoulder. I made a dog door for him. People used to ask if I was worried someone might crawl through it (any normal size person could). I'd tell them that the door isn't for a Cocker Spaniel. In reality, my dog probably would have slept through a robbery.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I always ask to be in the room -- sometimes it surprises the vets. It happens almost instantaneously. People should have that option.
    Not always ... people should expect the unexpected when considering euthanizing of a pet. Most of the time, it's a peaceful experience and cathartic in healing.

However, our last dog, Louie had to be injected 3 times before he passed, and the final injection had to be done straight into his heart. He was a fighter, and I think he didn't want to leave his family however he was riddled with mast cell tumors ... took almost an hour and a half before he passed.

I don't think I've ever cried that much in my life, it still makes my cry when I think about it. I know we made the right decision, however, it was VERY hard.
    Voting isn't marriage - it's public transport. You are not waiting for "The One" who is absolutely perfect. You are getting on the bus, and if there isn't one going exactly to your destination you don't stay at home and sulk - you take the one going closest to where you want to be!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker View Post
    Not always ... people should expect the unexpected when considering euthanizing of a pet. Most of the time, it's a peaceful experience and cathartic in healing.

However, our last dog, Louie had to be injected 3 times before he passed, and the final injection had to be done straight into his heart. He was a fighter, and I think he didn't want to leave his family however he was riddled with mast cell tumors ... took almost an hour and a half before he passed.

I don't think I've ever cried that much in my life, it still makes my cry when I think about it. I know we made the right decision, however, it was VERY hard.
    That would be a difficult experience. I would still want the dog to know we we there in her final moments, but there is a risk that something traumatic like that could happen

Master debator.
    The wife being a vet, she does this all the time. She's the only vet around that does house call euthanasia's, it's not really a money maker, but some people really appreciate it. When we had to do my girl dog Sophie, she could not find a vein, and she didn't like the start of a little poke in her leg one bit. So we were lucky in that we gave her the gas and let here sleep and then she was able to do it. We've lost pets to things that were sudden like bloat, and long haul stuff like cancer. When my girl had cancer it took forever, and it was sad, but somewhat of a relief when it was finally over. Any way you look at it, it sux.

I'm sorry, but I don't care for people that can't be there when it happens. Your dog greeted you and loved you every day probably, and you want it to be alone with strange people in a strange place when it happens. No way, harden up and be there for your pet.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Darling of The Lounge
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    I'm sorry, but I don't care for people that can't be there when it happens. Your dog greeted you and loved you every day probably, and you want it to be alone with strange people in a strange place when it happens. No way, harden up and be there for your pet.
    Well said.

I was present when I had to put my first bulldog down at eight due to kidney failure and the other lived 13 years before its heart gave out. In both situations, I stroked their fur as my eyes filled with tears until they passed. One of the saddest moments was to lose our toy poodle on Christmas morning. He passed caressed in my wife's loving arms.

These moments hurt, but they make you appreciate all the love pets provide in their short but impactful lifetimes.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    The wife being a vet, she does this all the time. She's the only vet around that does house call euthanasia's, it's not really a money maker, but some people really appreciate it. When we had to do my girl dog Sophie, she could not find a vein, and she didn't like the start of a little poke in her leg one bit. So we were lucky in that we gave her the gas and let here sleep and then she was able to do it. We've lost pets to things that were sudden like bloat, and long haul stuff like cancer. When my girl had cancer it took forever, and it was sad, but somewhat of a relief when it was finally over. Any way you look at it, it sux.

I had a Doberman for many years. When the time came (he had some kind of cancer and I waited too long), my vet offered to come to my house and euthanize him. He even took the body away. It was so much better than having to go to the vet's office, which my dog always hated. Your wife may not get a lot of thanks from pet owners during that time of grief, but tell her it sure made a world of difference to me -- and the dog.