Lyrics vs. Songs
    LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006

Lyrics vs. Songs

Is it weird if some of my favorite lyrics are from songs I don't particularly like overall? Not the entire lyrical content, just a line or a verse or something that connects. I'm not going to give examples, not looking for a lyrical quality pissing contest, just wondering if it's odd.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

RoadBikeReview Member
    Music is malleable and in the mind of the listener. Not to start your abovementioned contest, but I was surprised how differently this cover affected me based on the lyrics.

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    Quote Originally Posted by LWP View Post
    Is it weird if some of my favorite lyrics are from songs I don't particularly like overall? Not the entire lyrical content, just a line or a verse or something that connects. I'm not going to give examples, not looking for a lyrical quality pissing contest, just wondering if it's odd.
    I never particularly cared for the Eagles but this part from Already Gone about eating lunch by yourself I thought was insightful about the little mundane things of breaking up.

Cause I got some news for you and youíll soon find out itís true and then youíll have to eat your lunch all by yourself, cause Iím already gone . .
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

No collusion with the delusion

ďNationalism always breaks its promises because nationalists hate enemies in their countries more than they hate the enemies of their countries" The Guardian.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    One line from a song that resonates with me is from Simon and Garfunkel's The Only Living Boy In New York - "I get the news I need on the weather report"
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    One line from a song that resonates with me is from Simon and Garfunkel's The Only Living Boy In New York - "I get the news I need on the weather report"
    Excellent ^^^^ was my second or third thought. The other was Serge Gainsbourg, Je T'aime,...Moi Non Plus as second but below, my favourite.

Non non normal
    I love good lyrics.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    okay, first what it weird is two people have mentioned "The Only Living Boy In New York" in the context of "songs I don't particularly like overall". Are youz frigging nuts? That's a great song.

Pina Colada is one example but a lot of those 70's AM hits that are quite cheesy in overall sound have pretty good lyrics IMO. Brandy (you're a fine girl) is another example.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ö everybody sing along.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    okay, first what it weird is two people have mentioned "The Only Living Boy In New York" in the context of "songs I don't particularly like overall". Are youz frigging nuts? That's a great song.

Pina Colada is one example but a lot of those 70's AM hits that are quite cheesy in overall sound have pretty good lyrics IMO. Brandy (you're a fine girl) is another example.
    Sometimes Cohen never connected but in lyrics only. I have a very, very tough time in language but when lightening strikes, the rhythm means zero. In comparison [no pun] love Gordon Lightfoot, If You Could Read My Mind in comparison but meaningless to Cohen. Lightfoot, a lovely melody but not so much from Cohen. Deeper meaning with Cohen in lyric.

An example, hate the song, love the lyrics.

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Sometimes Cohen never connected but in lyrics only. I have a very, very tough time in language but when lightening strikes, the rhythm means zero. In comparison [no pun] love Gordon Lightfoot, If You Could Read My Mind in comparison but meaningless to Cohen. Lightfoot, a lovely melody but not so much from Cohen. Deeper meaning with Cohen in lyric.
    Love that Lightfoot song. Kind of a shame he's know to most only for Edmund Fitzgerald because that song sucks by any measure, but a lot of his songs are very good I think.

I like a lot of James Taylor lyrics too despite not liking his voice or the overall sound very much.

A lot of Jim Croce songs might fit in here too. New York's Not my Home especially. The lyrics really hit me but I could do with out the music for sure.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Before I go off on a wild horse, the song melody I hate the most, the very most in melody -but lyrics wise HITS closest to home, is Harry Chapin. And I've caught myself being "that" son.

Last edited by Eretz; 02-28-2019 at 04:48 PM.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Some great examples, which is why I didn't give any examples. I wasn't really thinking of deep, meaningful lyrics in the general sense. Stuff most would recognize as great lyric writing. I was thinking more of a line or verse or something from a song that connects to me personally. To many/most others it may be "meh, just some lyrics" or even "man, that song sucks" and I may even agree with that sentiment in general but I'll still listen to the song if it comes on because there's something in it that connects to something from my life experience. Even if it's just one line that reminds me of a time or place, good or bad, and perfectly nails how I feel about that moment.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

Master debator.
    "Somebody once asked could I spare some change for gas?
    I need to get myself away from this place
    I said yep, what a concept
    I could use a little fuel myself
    And we could all use a little change."
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Doesn't seem weird in the least to me. Just as it wouldn't be weird to find a passage or sentence that really grabs you, in a book that you otherwise didn't like much.
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    Doesn't seem weird in the least to me. Just as it wouldn't be weird to find a passage or sentence that really grabs you, in a book that you otherwise didn't like much.
    It was the best of times. It was the worst of times. The End.

Call me Ismael. Everyone else dies. The End.

In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth. That about catches you up. The End.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Quote Originally Posted by LWP View Post
    I'm sure it's happened for me but I can't think of a single example. I'm just too thick-headed.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Banned forever.....or not
    Spinal Tap - Hell Hole

The windows dirty, the mattress stinks
    This ain't no place to be a man
    Ain't got no future, ain't got no past
    And I don't think I ever can
    The floor is filthy the walls are thin
    The wind is howling in my face
    The rats are peeing, I'm losing ground
    Can't seem to join the human race.
    I'm living in a hell hole
    Don't want to stay in this hell hole
    Don't want to die in this hell hole
    Girl, get me out of this hell hole.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    It was the best of times. It was the worst of times. The End.

Call me Ismael. Everyone else dies. The End.

In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth. That about catches you up. The End.
    If those are meant to be illustrations of my point, and that means you don't really like "Moby-Dick", I can only say I pity you for your poor taste.

"Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee."

I know, that sounds a lot like "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn." Coincidence.

BTW, it's "Ishmael."
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    I know, that sounds a lot like "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn." Coincidence.

BTW, it's "Ishmael."
    Every possible story within human perception/experience has already been told.

Schishmael.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    An example, hate the song, love the lyrics.

Blame Gerry Coffin and Carole King on both counts, it's their song, written for these guys:

I'm not particularly a JT fan, but his cover points out how hard it is for an artist to cover an iconic tune and make it their own.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

"Oh my god. This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. Iím fód.Ē

RoadBikeReview Member