• 02-24-2009
    mohair_chair
    1 Attachment(s)
    Maple Bar Appreciation Thread
    I can't really eat donuts anymore. It's like Scotty throwing a wrench in the warp drive--It doesn't do a bit o' good, and everything just shuts down. But when I do indulge, there is no better donut than a maple bar.

Sugar, fat, dough, all covered with maple. Oh my. I love anything with maple. Maple syrup is the real nectar of the Gods. (Don't get me started on that maple-flavored corn syrup that passes for maple syrup in pancake houses and homes all across this nation.)

Don't fill maple bars with custard or cream or fake custard-like substance. Nothing can ruin a good donut faster than putting crap inside it.

From what I've read, maple bars, also known as Long Johns, are a west coast thing. Can this be true? Does the rest of the country not know about these marvelous concoctions?
  • 02-24-2009
    Tig
    That pic gives me locker room flashbacks!
  • 02-24-2009
    JoeDaddio
    I don't really eat donuts anymore... haven't had one in a long time. But I'm with you. when I do indulge, I go straight for the maple bar.

joe
  • 02-24-2009
    ToF
    +11 trillionty. Maple bars have been my downfall for many a failed "nutrition plan."

It may spring from when I was a very small kid. My Dad was a WWII vet, and when he came back he started a diesel mechanics shop. I used to love to go into work with him- All the giant trucks, and engine parts, big cigar chompin' mechanics, and MAPLE BARS in the break room.

I can't eat them at all anymore though, they make me sick.
  • 02-24-2009
    Hollywood
    maple = *hurl*

slather mine in chocolate, pls. (c0de)
  • 02-24-2009
    Chain
    They have almond scones at work that also have a drizzling of frosting on them. Mmmmmmm.
  • 02-24-2009
    bmxhacksaw
    Maple bars rule!!!
  • 02-24-2009
    Starliner
    My favorite treat from our local bakery when I was a kid was their maple bar. Their maple topping was creamier than other bars including those beauties piled up in the picture. They're still around making them as well as lots of other delices such as their coconut twists. And their sugar donuts put Krispy Kreme to sheme.