Massive Watches
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Massive Watches

RoadBikeReview Member

Massive Watches

for or not?

watching shopping networks, One selled wrist "clocks", for men. chunky, shining, sculptures.

who as one??!!??

RoadBikeReview Member
    An ostentatious show of poor taste.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    It looks goofy.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Invicta are mid range watches trying to look high-end. Some comical examples here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I made the mistake of buying a "small" Breitling (small by current and the brands standards but big by older standards) and I couldn't stand it. Felt like wearing a brick on my wrist and it was not where near as big as many out there now.
    Gimme thin, light and no over 38mm only please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Invicta are mid range watches trying to look high-end. Some comical examples here.
    They are a joke. But plenty of high end respected brands are making stuff equally as stupid now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Android skeleton automatic in tungsten -- 15 oz and indestructible. Gets more attention then a Rolex.

Invicta ... you know what the girls say about a boy with a pickup and size.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

Satanic Watch Winder
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Gimme thin, light and no over 38mm only please.
    Absolutely. I don't see the appeal in wearing a watch the size of a can of Friskies® cat food on your wrist.
    The crumbling of our wide freeways suggest a narrower vision

Only the mob and the elite can be attracted by the momentum of totalitarianism itself. The masses have to be won by propaganda.

MAKE AMERICA SMART AGAIN

Cat 6
    Of course.
    [IMG]https://cdn1.thr.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/640x960/2014/11/flavor_flav_made_the_clock_his_signature_accessory .jpg
    [/IMG]

Master debator.
    I was thinking of getting a new Garmin Fenix 6, but they are so huge on my wrist for daily wear I don't think I could stand it. I tried the Fenix 6 X on, it's 51mm and over a half inch thick. I currently wear a Vivoactive 3 and it's as big as I can stand at 43mm.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Opus was just napping
    I will pick the other side of the issue, wearing a beautiful Steinhart Apollon Automatic, which at 45MM is one of my smaller watches, but it thick so I love it.

Generally I like to stay with the 46 to 52 mm watch, have a Fenix5X plus that I train with (51m) a 48m Glycine military auto that I wear all the time and a bunch of small manufacturer automatic pilot watches and divers watches that all are on the hefty size.

That said I have really thick wrists a small watch looks like a charm bracelet on my wrist.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I won't wear anything over 44mm. I tend to be a sports watch person, so 40-42mm is usually my sweet spot.

There are larger watches that can sit smaller on the wrist due to short lugs or a thin profile. Large dials with small bezels tend to wear larger (Mido Multifort, Zenith and IWC Pilot watches spring to mind). But a diver with a busy dial and bezel at 40mm looks too small to me. So, it's all relative.

That said, the Invicta shows always give me a chuckle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've been given over ten watches over the years, they all end up in my drawer to be given away to people that use one. Never have liked having anything on my wrist. Everyone has a phone so I just ask ppl if I somehow forgot my phone, car and bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    It's full of factual errors. :nono:

RoadBikeReview Member
    haven't worn a watch this century...when I did have one, it was a Casio G-Shock. cheap, rugged, and since I think jewelry is garish, no issue with the aesthetics...

from where I'm currently sitting, I can see the time on my computer, DVR box, stove, rice cooker, and phone.

something on my wrist to tell me the same info would be overkill.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    Everyone has a phone so I just ask ppl if I somehow forgot my phone, car and bike.
    Whole other topic but it cracks me up how asking a stranger for the time has turned into such a big production.

Used to be:
    Got the time?
    8:39
    Thanks.

Now between getting over the initial shock of a stranger talking to them, pulling out the ear phones, repeating the question, and getting out the phone it can be quite a production.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I was a RailRoad employee(Carman) and a watch was mandatory to do a proper air test. I left that watch hanging in my locker the day I retired.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've been given over ten watches over the years, they all end up in my drawer to be given away to people that use one. Never have liked having anything on my wrist. Everyone has a phone so I just ask ppl if I somehow forgot my phone, car and bike.
    Being on time never runs out of fashion. Carrying around a privacy invading distracting devise is not for everyone. But that's another topic.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The time and date is always displayed on my insulin pump, which is always on my person, so there is no leaving home without it.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Wrist watches will probably take the same path as pocket watches did once the communication devices can be implanted under the skin of our palm.

Opus was just napping
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    haven't worn a watch this century...when I did have one, it was a Casio G-Shock. cheap, rugged, and since I think jewelry is garish, no issue with the aesthetics...

from where I'm currently sitting, I can see the time on my computer, DVR box, stove, rice cooker, and phone.

something on my wrist to tell me the same info would be overkill.
    I have a Casio G-Shock Mudmaster Solar--that thing is a BEAST!

Total watch geek.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Having an analog wristwatch set to local time means you always have a compass with you.

hello
    I have a 7.25" wrist and I like watches between 36 to 40mm, which means most dive watches are out.
    SurlySteamrollerLitespeedClassicBianchiPista
    DeanColonelSurlyLongHaulTruckerKonaKu
    LitespeedFirenzeCinelliOlympic

Cat 6
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    I was thinking of getting a new Garmin Fenix 6, but they are so huge on my wrist for daily wear I don't think I could stand it. I tried the Fenix 6 X on, it's 51mm and over a half inch thick. I currently wear a Vivoactive 3 and it's as big as I can stand at 43mm.
    Get the 6s in that case.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Wrist watches will probably take the same path as pocket watches did once the communication devices can be implanted under the skin of our palm.
    Good point! For now the watchless can just tell the time by checking the phone in their, err, pockets.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetworks View Post
    Good point! For now the watchless can just tell the time by checking the phone in their, err, pockets.
    Full circle?
    Too old to ride plastic

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast