Middle-age medical woes - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Nothing makes old people sound as old as this kind discussion.
    Bingo --- you are as old as your fear and young as your hopes. Or as RL Stevenson once wrote: To travel hopefully is a better thing then to arrive and even much earlier: (Taoist) - "The journey is the reward."
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    I'm going on the assumption that carrying ten 60 pound bags of mulch, which I will likely do this weekend, isn't as shoulder-destroying as carrying ten 60 pound sacks of concrete.
    Wheelbarrows. They exist for a reason.

Bigger contact patch on the mulch, btw, less psi. But for effects on the rest of the body, weight is weight.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    When I was younger I remember old people constantly complaining about all their medical maladies. I said "I'll never be like that". I was wrong

RoadBikeReview Member
    truth.

a guy in my hood that I've recently shared a couple of rides with pulls up next to me yesterday, offers no greeting, and just begins harping about his back pain...huh?

could only take about 3 miles of his unsolicited whining before deciding to bail on the ride.

htfu and stfu, nobody cares about your medical issues.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by madduck View Post
    "God i love doping!"

the younger one asked what exactly it was that i said???
    i told him, he said he thought that's what i said but wasnt sure.
    Should've told him it's something you light up.

2003196453921751634_rs_545x192.shkl.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    truth.

a guy in my hood that I've recently shared a couple of rides with pulls up next to me yesterday, offers no greeting, and just begins harping about his back pain...huh?

could only take about 3 miles of his unsolicited whining before deciding to bail on the ride.

htfu and stfu, nobody cares about your medical issues.
    correct. listening, commiseration and empathy are for friends and nice people. not for random self centred asXholes found roaming the roads
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    correct. listening, commiseration and empathy are for friends and nice people. not for random self centred asXholes found roaming the roads
    yep, I'm not his friend nor am I nice...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I'm sixty so I'm qualified to moan too about random aches and pains etc. However, a coworker told me to be quiet one day after Monday complaining about being tired and sore from 100 miles over the weekend, hours of yard work, cleaning the gutters, etc. He said you are in better shape than anybody at the school and you're 20 - 30 years older than anybody here. He was right.

I think our perspective is skewed because we view our activities as normal and we are chasing the 30- 40 year old guys and gals at the front as our fitness role models.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Bingo --- you are as old as your fear and young as your hopes. Or as RL Stevenson once wrote: To travel hopefully is a better thing then to arrive and even much earlier: (Taoist) - "The journey is the reward."
    Good quote.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Sweet Potato Kugel
    But for effects on the rest of the body, weight is weight.
    In the beginning of the season its very painful after a winter lay-off of [3 months]. Everything hurts that first few weeks. What drives cyclists to endure that break-in period, I'll never understand. After two months when grabbing your vehicle that hasn't moved, the seat feels bigger, the cockpit larger and the mirrors all need adjustment. Twenty pounds less but of what? Muscle weighs more than fat and conversion would mean you've lost a lot of size in places you'd never image, mostly the shoulders, neck, back and butt. Keeping your weight down is huge. Why I love this sport so much [eat as much as you want and payback lard on these roads].
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
    Not able to carry 90 lb bags of concrete mix over my shoulder like I used to... I now buy 60 lb bags at Home Depot. More money per pound of concrete but I can afford it because I'm older.
    I used to do this, I learned my lesson (90 pounds is 73% of my weight

Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    You young-uns! I'll be 58 this year. Between my kidney disease, arthritic shoulders and a hernia, in the last year I developed something akin to 'irritable bowel syndrome'. Strangely, when out riding vigorously was about the ONLY time I didn't have to visit the loo at least once an hour. Luckily, it seems that I've got it under control by taking no fewer than 6 fiber capsules a day, a Lactaid tablet with ANYTHING containing dairy, and a daily serving of ramen noodles (need the starch, it seems).
    58?..... get off my lawn!

Quote Originally Posted by Turtleherder View Post
    After I turned fifty I started losing parts. First was appendix and then two years later was gallbladder. I am coming up on another two years so what am I going to lose next?
    interest!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    you 50-somethings think it's bad now, just wait another decade...

just sayin'...
    66 here....
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    The mind is the second thing to go.
    what were we talking about?
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    Well, that and genetics...

I actually had to take a day off today--did about 10 days straight--between building the woodshed, and then filling the woodshed, along with assorted outdoor chores that I didn't get to last fall, like a taking a 900 pound load of wood to the dump that had stored outside that the carpenter ants got into when the tarp failed--oh, and a second truck load of unburnable wood taken to the recycling center where they chip it.

The good news--I'm still sitting up and taking nourishment--but I wish my damaged shoulder, wrists and hands still worked like they did when I was 25...
    WAIT, back up.....you built a wood shed?????? without piictures or thread?
    wait, who YOU calling old????
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    WAIT, back up.....you built a wood shed?????? without piictures or thread?
    I caught that too, but let him have some slack after reading of the mounds of wood he lugged to the dump and recycling. That is impressive. Nine-hundred pounds is an honest workout by any given measure. So be easy on the boy, he's above 99.99% of anyone a decade or two older.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    I caught that too, but let him have some slack after reading of the mounds of wood he lugged to the dump and recycling. That is impressive. Nine-hundred pounds is an honest workout by any given measure. So be easy on the boy, he's above 99.99% of anyone a decade or two older.
    no way, no slack....900 pounds of wood is an hours work, I KNOW!!!!!! LOL. I split up most of a red maple tree this morning, can't move it yet, ground is too wet.

900 pounds is a weeks worth of wood or less during the heart of the heating season!

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Sweet Potato Kugel
    900 pounds is a weeks worth of wood or less during the heart of the heating season!
    Okay. I'm recalculating this as typing.

Sweet Potato Kugel

Still calculating.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    paredown is still my hero.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    You all stop whining.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    As someone who, at 56 years old, struggling with weight most of my adult life, pre-diabetic for about 30 years, marginally high bad cholesterol, and countless other minor maladies, the one piece of advice I can offer is...

"Choose your parents well!".

Both of my parents died of heart related issues in their early 60's. I haven't been able to find a single person in my family tree that made it to 70. Every single adult in my immediate family (both parents, both sisters and brothers, aunts, uncles, etc...) are all diabetic, overweight, and dealing with structural and internal medical problems.

I originally took up cycling because I was very overweight and my Doctor wanted to put me on about a dozen medications. I refused and bought a bike instead. I lost 100lbs, and all of my numbers self corrected, including Hemoglobin A1C. I hated riding at first, but once i lost the bulk of the weight, I fell in love with it. I had a half a dozen years with 9k miles. Two with 6k. It's certainly helped with my overall health, mental and physical, but I still deal with a lot of structural problems. Mainly arthritis in my back and knees. I've had two back surgeries. a micro-discectomy on L5-S1 that was not successful, and led to a fusion. One knee surgery, major shoulder reconstruction - result of getting punted by a Prius. I have arthritis in every region of my back, my reconstructed shoulder and knee, and a couple of steriod injections to deal with inflammation in my back.

I'll keep riding as long as I can.. until it just isn't fun any more. At that point, I think I'll just have them take me out behind the barn...
    Last edited by Finx; 04-19-2019 at 08:46 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Good quote.
    Another fitting quote on the topic of health: “Folks are usually about as happy as they make their minds up to be.” Abe L.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I honestly appreciate the general upbeat nature of posts on this thread and I appreciate individual testimonials BUT truth is, if you live long enuff, time will march up one side and down the other of your ass. Folks visiting a forum like this are predisposed to a certain level and expectation of fitness.

However, my past 3 years demonstrated that the previous 24 years delayed, but did not stop boot prints.

Naturally, because I am a tad stoopid, I still hope to stage yet another comeback, but my own realities suggest I will NEVER return to my competitive days which plays with your mind.

Remember that for every older age success story to be admired, there are prolly several hundred thousand stories that started the same way (generalizing) but bowed to unforeseen events.

Years ago, I came across an elderly gent decked out in a fine kit and aboard a nice steed. I noticed, however, that he'd prolly seen "better days" (loss of muscle tone and crepey skin). Yesterday, sitting on my porch, guess what I saw when I scanned me gams?

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Another fitting quote on the topic of health: “Folks are usually about as happy as they make their minds up to be.” Abe L.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    ...Years ago, I came across an elderly gent decked out in a fine kit and aboard a nice steed. I noticed, however, that he'd prolly seen "better days" (loss of muscle tone and crepey skin). Yesterday, sitting on my porch, guess what I saw when I scanned me gams?
    This is how I envision my present. I'd beg to have this body of a middle 50-year-old, at seventy. Let's just live in this moment, happily.

Frog Whisperer
    I would be in better shape with amount of effort that I put into it if I were 10 years younger. I spent all morning both yesterday and today splitting or moving and stacking firewood. Due to the soft ground conditions, it was with a wheelbarrow or radio flyer wagon, not bad, probably only a ton or so. Took about twice as long as it would have 10 years ago.

I wasn't in a hurry, that's my story and I am sticking to it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This is how I envision my present. I'd beg to have this body of a middle 50-year-old, at seventy. Let's just live in this moment, happily.
    The reality is today is all you have. If you are feeling bad, go visit a children's cancer ward in the local hospital for an attitude adjustment.

Here in Catalan, the e-MTB is the rage for the mature audience who can't limb hills like they once did but refuse to rot on the couch ad complain about how it used to be.

Honestly more fun then we should be having as old men. Oh, in Spain middle age goes until you are approaching 75 --- people live a l-o-n-g time here.

Sweet Potato Kugel

Honestly more fun then we should be having as old men. Oh, in Spain middle age goes until you are approaching 75 --- people live a l-o-n-g time here.
    When I lived in Bayonne, FR [BAB], early season there were Sunday fellowship rides with clubs out of the Pays Basque. Most of the riders were in their late fifties and up. All wooled out. Old club names and carefully cared jerseys. The beginning of the ride, about 100 cyclists sharing past January's activities. You could hear them discuss the Pros and the new season starting, stuff like that rolling the flats out near the canal. Slowly but surely, less talk and much more speed. I was twenty and once hitting the rolling terrain could hardly hang on. They never slowed. Like a vacuum they moved perfectly. All of them lived, loved this sport, as me. When I finished that ride the salt on my faces had to be removed with a debit card from the Crédit Lyonnais. I was a mess, and that sheit hurt. These clubs would do that without a blink during their winter months. Gave me hope.

Boobies!
    WAIT, back up.....you built a wood shed?????? without pictures or thread?

wait, who YOU calling old????
    Thread here---it is not as fancy as yours!

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/lo...ld-367787.html
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
    -Hanlon's Razor

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast