Middle-age medical woes - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Boobies!
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    I would be in better shape with amount of effort that I put into it if I were 10 years younger. I spent all morning both yesterday and today splitting or moving and stacking firewood. Due to the soft ground conditions, it was with a wheelbarrow or radio flyer wagon, not bad, probably only a ton or so. Took about twice as long as it would have 10 years ago.

I wasn't in a hurry, that's my story and I am sticking to it.
    I'm back inside because the monsoons hit--messing with setting up the cabinet saw that I bought and neglected for about 10 years...

I too am a lot slower in the wood production--but I was really enjoying the outdoors--birds were talking to me (well at least the crows) and I was laughing at the Canada geese antics on the pond.

Only one bike ride so far this year--so I have a lot of catching up to do for fitness.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
    -Hanlon's Razor

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    I'm back inside because the monsoons hit--messing with setting up the cabinet saw that I bought and neglected for about 10 years...

I too am a lot slower in the wood production--but I was really enjoying the outdoors--birds were talking to me (well at least the crows) and I was laughing at the Canada geese antics on the pond.

Only one bike ride so far this year--so I have a lot of catching up to do for fitness.
    You need to head this way for a week. You can stay here. We could play with power tools and ride bikes...... Seriously

Yes I'm sure, that doesn't mean I'm right.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    My parents are both terribly frail, and not even 80 yet. My mother took better care of herself than my father did, but even she can't walk anymore (imperfect hip surgery, then falling, fixed hip, more falling, broken femur.......) Dad just stopped taking care of himself, and can't even walk with the walker anymore.

While visiting my mother in the nursing home, somebody pointed out a tiny woman in a wheelchair. She was doing laps by dragging herself using the hall railing. "She's 105 years old, and she'll be back around again, she does this all day." The woman just looked at us, but didn't say anything. Perhaps she was a cyclist??

Already got my colonoscopy over with for now, got my heart and eyes checked, so far so good. I do need to use reading glasses sometimes, and a magnifying glass to read medicine bottles. Migraines are becoming a bit more frequent, and menopause is looming.

OH the real kicker was when I chaperoned my nephew on a field trip a couple of weeks ago. A classmate came up to him and said, "Is that your grandma?" Figured no big deal, that first grader needs glasses.............and then another classmate came up and asked the same damn thing WTF.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post

OH the real kicker was when I chaperoned my nephew on a field trip a couple of weeks ago. A classmate came up to him and said, "Is that your grandma?" Figured no big deal, that first grader needs glasses.............and then another classmate came up and asked the same damn thing WTF.
    ______

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    My parents are both terribly frail, and not even 80 yet. My mother took better care of herself than my father did, but even she can't walk anymore (imperfect hip surgery, then falling, fixed hip, more falling, broken femur.......) Dad just stopped taking care of himself, and can't even walk with the walker anymore.

While visiting my mother in the nursing home, somebody pointed out a tiny woman in a wheelchair. She was doing laps by dragging herself using the hall railing. "She's 105 years old, and she'll be back around again, she does this all day." The woman just looked at us, but didn't say anything. Perhaps she was a cyclist??

Already got my colonoscopy over with for now, got my heart and eyes checked, so far so good. I do need to use reading glasses sometimes, and a magnifying glass to read medicine bottles. Migraines are becoming a bit more frequent, and menopause is looming.

Ouch!

Mrs69 like to point out that by the time by grandmother Dorothy was the age I am now, she had already been a grandmother for 4 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've always been quite active, including serious competitive sports growing up and through college. No longer a youngster though and I think years of not warming up/cooling down have made me really inflexible and overall stiff. Still active, but horrible flexibility. I'm determined to make 2019 the year I focus on limbering up.

My only lingering aches and pains that are anything unusual - I get a stiff neck on long bike roads on road bikes. Cracked a vertebrae at the base of my neck playing college sports and I think it'll always give me some pain. Sitting at a computer monitor for too long does it as well. Also broke a leg playing college sports. I don't think I rehabbed enough/properly and developed a baaaad hip flexor from running in an unbalanced way. It still gets very tight and causes pain up through my pelvis and even lower back. Need to focus on opening up my flexors sooner rather than later.

Overall though, I'd say I'm in pretty good shape for my age. Could stand to lose 5 pounds, as having a 9-5 and a young son has seriously cut into my long training bike rides big time. I'm close to my ideal weight though and still get plenty of exercise and have a decent amount of muscle, so all I really need to do is cut back calories for around 3 weeks and it'll be gone.

Banned forever.....or not
    Never had "Middle-age medical woes"....But I tell's ya, I've got Old dude medical woes... A year and a half ago, I developed a pinched nerve that removed 20% of my power output of my right leg......Last October, my eye broke, and after three surgeries, developed a massive cataract which will be operated on again next month. (7 months with a useless left eye). Three and a half weeks ago, I busted a crank arm and went down crazy hard. I'm still so Effed up, I have to sleep in a recliner......I have to wonder what's next.....I thought that I had a contract with the Red Dude.....Bummer.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    What about the old guy that has to take a ****** just to keep from pissing on his shoes?

I can't say viaqra?
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Wheelbarrows. They exist for a reason.
    This, and sons.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    We store the winter tires/wheels for my wife's car on a shelf in the rafters of our garage. We're going to change that next fall.

It seemed like a fine idea when we bought the house 13 years ago.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    We store the winter tires/wheels for my wife's car on a shelf in the rafters of our garage. We're going to change that next fall.

It seemed like a fine idea when we bought the house 13 years ago.
    There are cooking utensils stuffed in the far corner of the under sink counter that I may never see again.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123