Minimalist Wallets...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    a little too stoked

Minimalist Wallets...

...seem to be a thing lately. So, I tried one.

It's a Fantom R. It's good. Really small, yet works well. Metal-bodied, with various inlays. Blocks RFID too (Ďcept for the carbon fiber model).

Overpriced, though. They have a cheaper model, but it's a bit plasticky.

I got the bamboo inlay one, 'cuz as we all know, carbon fiber asplodes in sunlight.

There's also leather, for the old-schoolers out there.

Last edited by SystemShock; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:32 AM.
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did - peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Sys: COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL. VOTE in November.

Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2016
    Thanks for posting this. I need to get something smaller (wallet) because my normal wallet has so much stuff in it that it looks like it's about to explode.

I want something small and just for the necessities. I'll look into these.

a little too stoked
    Quote Originally Posted by Surveyor 777 View Post
    Thanks for posting this. I need to get something smaller (wallet) because my normal wallet has so much stuff in it that it looks like it's about to explode.

I want something small and just for the necessities. I'll look into these.
    No prob.

One caveat, though... the Fantoms come in three capacities/thicknesses, and I would NOT get the skinniest one, as it doesn't hold a lot.

I got the medium-capacity, and it holds like 6-7 cards comfortably (Fantom claims up to 10 for it, but that assumes all non-embossed/'skinny' cards).

Also be aware that's there's a TIDAL WAVE of minimalist wallets hitting the market now, so if the Fantom ain't it, look around, chances are you'll see something you like.

(but as with all attempts at re-inventing the wheel, some of them ain't very good, so, research)
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did - peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Using a Ridge Wallet here.

a little too stoked
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Using a Ridge Wallet here.
    How do you like it?

I looked at those and liked the aesthetics ('burnt titanium' caught my eye), but card access seemed a bit fiddly.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    The thing looks damn uncomfortable to stick in your rear pocket.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

a little too stoked
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    I've always been a front pocket guy, so I'm a bad person to ask about that.

They are very small and thin wallets compared to classic leather bifolds though ('footprint' is barely bigger than a credit card for the Ridge, Fantom is a bit larger), so that may help for the rear pocket folks.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    How do you like it?

I looked at those and liked the aesthetics ('burnt titanium' caught my eye), but card access seemed a bit fiddly.

I don't have a ton of plastic, best to keep frequently used cards at top/bottom....a bit fiddly. But simple and nothing to break--also, probably like yours can fit anywhere. Have the burnt ti, nice finish and grippy.

Irony being this year I did a bunch of prep to be better able to tour...and all my rides are either cancelled--or I sure as hell don't want to show up. Switched to a VZW MVNO in order to have cheaper service and more coverage out (well, more than none actually) on tour, Sprint out in Farmlandia has literally nothing...well my cell bill is a ton lower, and I do have better coverage everywhere with higher bandwidth--but no touring in sight. Got a lighter-weight bike-packing setup for my groading rig, same thing. Least I hadn't put out more money for a new tent yet--was putting that off all winter and didn't do it.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

a little too stoked
    Bummer. Hope the rides (and work) come back fairly soon, Marc.

We're no better than mice
    With Covid-19 and Tracers hired to interview possible pandemic contacts, I went secure and WHO gives a sheit under protection.

$14.00 USD saves your arse. And your friends, associates, and anyone else at the grocery store

This totally shuts down any GPS, tracking and phone data once foldered over and sealed.

Frog Whisperer

been carryng this for 10 years

made it myself, pretty much bullet proof. and I made 2 so I have a spare
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

Proud luddite
    I switched to using a money clip a decade ago and have never looked back. At some point Iíll take the next step and will hold everything together with a rubber band. Thatís how I roll.

Darling of The Lounge
    This pretty much sums up the relationship I have with my wallet:

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    That's what I was speculating too. Or might break when sitting. Or in the case of office workers who sit for many hours wear a hole in the back pocket quicker that something soft would.

I use something like that but leather when I travel to Europe to be able to better hide from pickpockets. I find the folding of cash to get it into the clip and all the CCs being in one stack to be a pain I could to without. For regular day to day life I can't see myself every switching away from a regular 'billfold' style wallet.

Eddy 53:11
    JUST bought the Finn Access wallet. Holds 20+ cards, a dozen business cards and a large wad of cash very easily. It doesn't look like it should, but it does. Love it.

https://www.sfbags.com/collections/wallets
    Live vicariously through yourself.
    There are no physical laws that govern the will.
    I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I'm down with today.

Road & Trail Warrior
    I've had the ridge wallet for a couple years and I love it. I can't stand carrying stuff with me, so It's the next best thing. Also, after this apocalypse, everything will hopefully be cashless anyway.
    BTW, the tiny hip-pocket in your jeans is perfect for the ridge wallet.

a little too stoked
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    This pretty much sums up the relationship I have with my wallet: [George Costanza video]

LOL. Thatís me as well.

And I think thatís the key problem with billfolds: You can stuff anything and everything into them... SO YOU DO.

And then you wind up with this big, fat, bloated mess of a wallet.

Itís like your TiVo, you always fill up whatever amount of storage space you have.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    LOL. Thatís me as well.

And I think thatís the key problem with billfolds: You can stuff anything and everything into them... SO YOU DO.

And then you wind up with this big, fat, bloated mess of a wallet.

Itís like your TiVo, you always fill up whatever amount of storage space you have.

With my Ridge Wallet...one thing I did discover is that my kitteh-vet uses a non-US-standard card stock size.

a little too stoked
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    With my Ridge Wallet...one thing I did discover is that my kitteh-vet uses a non-US-standard card stock size.
    You can just put it on the money clip?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I use leather wallets because they bend some - more comfortable to sit on ( I carry it in my back jeans pocket ). I'd like to get something that doesn't start to look like crap with wear so quickly though. Something that develops an attractive patina or is wear resistant woven fiber would be great but haven't been able to find anything yet. A half dozen credit cards, and drivers license with clear window to view and cash pocket is all I want in one.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    Keeping things simple. Been using the same wallet that I've had since I was a teenager. Nylon fabric, bi-fold, one money pocket, two front card pockets, two hidden card pockets, Velcro closure. Small, never comes open, perfect sized, fits in a jersey pocket or a small bike bag.

It's actually so perfect that I've looked into new ones just in case this one ever dies. Absolutely no idea where it came from, probably a mall somewhere, when malls were still new and exciting.

a little too stoked
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    I use leather wallets because they bend some - more comfortable to sit on ( I carry it in my back jeans pocket ). I'd like to get something that doesn't start to look like crap with wear so quickly though.

Something that develops an attractive patina or is wear resistant woven fiber would be great but haven't been able to find anything yet. A half dozen credit cards, and drivers license with clear window to view and cash pocket is all I want in one.
    This is kind of the go-to site for all things wallet... the guy reviews just about EVERYTHING.

https://www.walletopia.info/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Can someone give me a brief rundown of why I'd be concerned with GPS tracking? I know the U.S. govt. does plenty of terrible stuff, but them watching where I go is pretty low on my list of things I worry about. Then again...I'm either riding my bike around, at my house, or at my office a majority of the time. Doesn't really bother me if they know my life is pretty static

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by nayr497 View Post
    Can someone give me a brief rundown of why I'd be concerned with GPS tracking? I know the U.S. govt. does plenty of terrible stuff, but them watching where I go is pretty low on my list of things I worry about. Then again...I'm either riding my bike around, at my house, or at my office a majority of the time. Doesn't really bother me if they know my life is pretty static
    Paranoid conspiracy theorist types not wanting to contribute to COVID19 contact tracing....and we all know what political faction those people are.

Of course, if that wallet actually is enough of a faraday cage to block GPS telemetry--it also blocks your cellphone service. Great thing for a cellphone wallet--to keep you from ever getting calls/notifications.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I use a ziplock quart freezer bag. I started using them when I was biking. I'd put my drivers license, health insurance card, credit card and cash. Small, waterproof and cheap. Soon the wallet was staying home most of the time as everything of use in it ended up in the plastic bag. My wife does the same thing. There is evidence that sitting on a wallet is bad for your back.

Wallets were invented by the same guy who invented the necktie and high heeled shoes. He laughs at us from hell every day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast