Mom Is OK

Thread: Mom Is OK

RoadBikeReview Member

Mom Is OK

Still too soon to get a total assessment... storms started ramping up around 9 (while still in Indiana) and intensified as they moved east, landing over a large swath and within 1/2 mile of Mom!

She reports the iconic freight train along with wind and debris hitting the building (she lives on the inside unit of a condo complex building) but no initial damage to her unit. She has lost power as have approximately 65,000 users in the area. Some apartment complexes have undergone mandatory evacs for fear of gas leaks (Mom is all 'lectric).

As the storm was tracked, it maintained strength across central and central eastern Ohio at least. Kinda remarkable the amount of energy well after sunset.

I'm 7 miles away and could see and hear storm but got almost nada in wind and rain. Will prolly scoop up Mom as the size of the affected area suggest multi day power outage

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Yeeesh. Hope both of you guys are (and stay) okay.

Let's not do any Wizard of Oz re-enactments.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Yeeesh. Hope both of you guys are (and stay) okay.

Let's not do any Wizard of Oz re-enactments.
    Light of day shows extensive damage across a wide area but no fatalities in the city (one in an outlying town. searches are ongoing.)

Significant illustration of fragility of infrastructure. Mom's condo has underground utilities, however, wires down all around so no power. Damage caused several natural gas leaks so area wide shutdowns are being used for safety. Power failure at regions main pumping stations has most folks in the Metro area draining their reservoirs, thus triggering a boil advisory (unexpected failure of main transmission line under river earlier this year is still under repair.. water has to be routed around main onto other lines)... course, without gas or electric....

Local rivers (dams and levee protected) will test our flood control system over the next few days (more rain coming)

Still, given that this event happened at night, a remarkably low initial casualty list. Parts of the city will look completely different for years. Memorial day itself was spectacular weatherwise… lots of heating to fuel this storm.

Russian Troll Farmer
    As a kid, I rode out the great tornado of 1966 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornad...e_of_June_1966) in my grandmother's basement. Drove through Topkea the next day on our way back to Boulder. Be thankful it wasn't anywhere near as bad as THAT storm was..
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Frog Whisperer
    just talked to my mom...(age, 90, still living alone with her dog, she actually mowed her lawn the other day, and she lives in a condo, she fricking pays to have her lawn mowed)
    If she drove more I would let her mow mine!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    I thought your mother was in NJ but then saw the post was from yesterday- just had storms (including tornado warnings) sweep across NJ/NY/PA.

Glad she's all right! My father can't even put his house up for sale because the roads still need to be fixed (raised) after Sandy. And that's not happening anytime soon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    If she drove more I would let her mow mine!
    You are a good son.

Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    I thought your mother was in NJ but then saw the post was from yesterday- just had storms (including tornado warnings) sweep across NJ/NY/PA.

Glad she's all right! My father can't even put his house up for sale because the roads still need to be fixed (raised) after Sandy. And that's not happening anytime soon.
    Ya, the storms seemed to maintain a massive amount of energy as it crossed all of Ohio and I suspected it was a "bumpy ride" for many many more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    One area tornado (National Weather Service now suspects as many as 12 separate tracks along a 20 mile path) that passed through my Mom's complex was "upgraded" to EF4.

After a day without power, she wondered where her new wall decorations came from before realizing it was a tree branch (again, relatively minor considering other units).

Water pressure returned system wide today (yay for flushing) and because of mutual aide pacts most utilities maintain, Mom might have power again by midnight Saturday (still trying to move her to a hotel but she says she's comfy at home).

As with humans everywhere, their better nature rises (at least the vast majority) as volunteerism flourishes. Multiple locations for water, food and shelter, both official and kindness of strangers. Some restaurants without power opened their coolers and made food available for free even though they could have transferred it to another location or commercial freeze unit. Neighbors continue to go door to door just to check.

Pay it forward.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    You are a good son.
    No, A good son would pick his Mother up so that she could mow his lawn, and then he would give her a ride home.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had the giggleschlitz when I turned on the noon local news only to watch Mom drive by the field reporter at a relief station. Mom is ADDICTED to her coffee.

She has proven more resilient than many would have thought given the circumstances and remains at her home, getting out on her own to get additional support and COFFEEEEEEEE!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    No, A good son would pick his Mother up so that she could mow his lawn, and then he would give her a ride home.
    … course, if he is at mom's house, and sees mom's grass first, the script gets flipped!

Frog Whisperer
    … course, if he is at mom's house, and sees mom's grass first, the script gets flipped!
    So, how old is mom. Mine just turned 90 in December, sharp as a tack and still hard to fool!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    So, how old is mom. Mine just turned 90 in December, sharp as a tack and still hard to fool!
    Mom clocked 86 trips around the sun in April. Our concerns are what you prolly have yourself but recognize the importance of independence ALAP. I have been pleased that she has been willing to accept help without the usual "Oh, I don't want to bother anybody".

Course, OTOH, everyone offers her coffee everywhere she goes, so it might just be the rush.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Missed this thread, Akirasho. Happy everything worked out safely. We have friends in KasasCity MO and it's a real tough time for them being new to the area for only two months.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Missed this thread, Akirasho. Happy everything worked out safely. We have friends in KasasCity MO and it's a real tough time for them being new to the area for only two months.
    Mom's power was restored Sunday after 6 days thanks to mutual aide from outside power agencies (reported 1000 crews in field with 400 in support roles). Lots of wire and poles (700+) to replace in an efficient and safe manner. One fire suspected to restoration of electricity but no lose of life. One local woman with dementia still missing (unconfirmed body found this AM).

While current doctrine tells motorist not to seek shelter under overpasses, a group of vehicles defied these findings as one of the twisters passed over them on I-75.

Course, there has been some looting. Sadly, one incident caught pre & teens on camera, a bit too stoopid to realize that their grinning faces would contrast with their mug shots.

Parts of the area have become blue tarp but weather has "cooperated".

"Naturally", the slogan "Dayton Strong" is heard and seen. We need to find a new slogan!!

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Congrats on enduring the tornado barrage, Akirasho. Glad you and mum are okay.

Though really, you were never in any danger... if things got dicey, you could just hunker down in Bengals' stadium... no chance of a touchdown there.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Though really, you were never in any danger... if things got dicey, you could just hunker down in Bengals' stadium... no chance of a touchdown there.
    … this ain't CLEVELAND!!!!

got to see more of the damage first hand. A staging lot filled with more bucket trucks than I've ever seen. Groups of trucks 3 to 5 in a row heading out. Portable washing machines in lots for those in need. Many lots in the affected areas still having free food cookouts.

Lots of roofing damage. Ironically, tree damage not as severe as I would have thought (but still significant). You still come across sagging lines (hard to say if they bypassed them for future removal). Mom's condos had lush old growth trees, many of which survived, but the shady drive into the complex is gone. One of her neighbors was blown (sucked?) out of his upstairs bedroom (wall gave way... minor injury)!!!

Gonna be some cheap mulch piles somewhere.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    … this ain't CLEVELAND!!!!
    Well, of course not. Unlike the Bungles, the Browns are actually improving.