Mom and son defy no-bike policy at middle school
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Non Non Cyclist

Mom and son defy no-bike policy at middle school

http://www.saratogian.com/articles/2...7442523775.txt

Upon arriving at school on Wednesday, Adam and Janette Kaddo Marino were met outside by school officials and a New York State Trooper, who were on hand for the first day of school. They were informed that they were “out of compliance,” and had a lengthy discussion over where Adam’s bike could be locked.
    Move along...nothing to see here.

donuts?
    the comments are awesome. sometimes i get the feeling we are being fattened up for something's dinner. hey piggy, don't walk to school, drive the gas guzzling SUV 2 blocks.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

Power Napper
    Once again it's the comments that are the most, ahem, entertaining. It only took a half dozen before Naz Germany was brought up. Then there's the guy who seems to think that a written school board policy is the same thing as a democratically enacted law. Whatever happened to civics class???

I think the point of the opposition is that if the route to the school is percieved as "unsafe" for cycling or even walking, then someting needs to be done to make it safe.
    "When it shall be said in any country in the world, my poor are happy; neither ignorance nor distress is to be found among them; my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars; the aged are not in want, the taxes are not oppressive; the rational world is my friend, because I am the friend of its happiness: when these things can be said, then may that country boast its constitution and its government." -Thomas Paine

donuts?
    i know, let's build a school in the median of I-90 - the land is free. why would that be a bad idea?
    -Steve

Low rep power
    Yeah, there's been a whole big debate in my town about the merits vs hazards of kids riding to school- even when accompanied by parents. Administration seems to think it's too dangerous, even for a trial at selected schools, and despite no official policy, principals have been pretty united in banning bikes from school property. Just dumb.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    SHTN sums it up quite nicely. As in, you've gotta be SHTN me.

And as the Breeze points out--- they have no business establishing a newer school in such a DANGEROUS area.

"El Bwana"
    Perhaps its the local nature of the story, but WHY can't the kid ride his bike? Policy. Policy based on WHAT? Rte 9?

No wonder journalism is dying. (Sorry Cory)
    "Pardon me, but could you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?"

Yo no fui.
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

"Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

"A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars.” Laurent Fignon

done
    Aug 2009
    You don't want your fatties dying on the way to school. You want them dying in middle age of heart disease or the diabetes; after their most productive years of life but before they become a drain on the system. Big ups to the school for looking out for our (short) futures!
    Last edited by Love Commander; 09-16-2009 at 01:03 PM.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by PDex
    Perhaps its the local nature of the story, but WHY can't the kid ride his bike? Policy. Policy based on WHAT? Rte 9?

No wonder journalism is dying. (Sorry Cory)
    Shoddy journalism for sure, but the comments below seem to suggest the school considers Route 9 to be too dangerous to ride a bike on. Still...I don't get where the school has the authority to dictate how a parent chooses to get their kid to school. Here in Boulder kids get prizes for riding to school. My youngest rides nearly every day unless it's too rainy or snowy. They have this program to encourage alternate transportation:

http://www.freiker.org/bp/Home
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Yo no fui.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    Here in Boulder kids get prizes for riding to school. My youngest rides nearly every day unless it's too rainy or snowy.
    They'll never win Flanders with that attitude.
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

"Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

"A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars.” Laurent Fignon

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    They'll never win Flanders with that attitude.
    I rode once with him during a big snowstorm...we skidded all the way down the hill to his school.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Route 9 is designated by the New York State Department of Transportation as a bike route.

Them that can-do. Them that can't become administrators.

BTW I'm wondering how I can become a SHTN member!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Frog Whisperer
    apparently there are some that do know the value of civil disobedience

edit: if I was there I would ride with them!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

More Cowbell!
    Street view of the school entrance from Hwy 9.

View Larger Map

Looks like it's got good bike lanes. What it's lacking is a crosswalk, blinking yellow caution lights overhead, rumble strips in the car lane, and adequate signage to allert drivers to get their heads out of their asses.
    Pro rep, yo!

"El Bwana"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripped

View Larger Map

Looks like it's got good bike lanes. What it's lacking is a crosswalk, blinking yellow caution lights overhead, rumble strips in the car lane, and adequate signage to allert drivers to get their heads out of their asses.
    Indeed, nice bike lanes.

Frog Whisperer

View Larger Map

you gotta be kidding me, I ride worse than that almost every day!

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

donuts?
    there's no invisible wall between the kids and the cars - you know, a curb. no sidewalk = dangerous.

ask this guy:

-Steve

More Cowbell!
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray
    you gotta be kidding me, I ride worse than that almost every day!
    I'm thinking that at peak traffic times, there's a lot of cars and probably speeding. Getting across the traffic lanes or crossing the school driveway might be challenging. Also the school is backed by a train so kids coming from that direction would have to ride around the tracks and travel on Hwy 9 for a bit. The school is not in a densely populated area and I don't know how many kids would be walking or biking.

Note: it appears to be close to Skidmore College -- probably some prof kids attend that school. Dollars to doughnuts that the mom teaches at the college.
    Pro rep, yo!

"El Bwana"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    Shoddy journalism for sure, but the comments below seem to suggest the school considers Route 9 to be too dangerous to ride a bike on. Still...I don't get where the school has the authority to dictate how a parent chooses to get their kid to school. Here in Boulder kids get prizes for riding to school. My youngest rides nearly every day unless it's too rainy or snowy. They have this program to encourage alternate transportation:

http://www.freiker.org/bp/Home
    Damn, any traffic near the schools here in town is a mess -- despite the safe routes initiative. My kid rides pretty much everyday to Southern Hills. He rides 36 with his team (which, frankly, makes me a bit nervous).

In the comment section, someone notes that there is a street that turns into a dirt road and then enters the school property away from Rte 9. If so, WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?

Zero tolerance=Zero intelligence.

tofurkey hunting
    and exactly how is that necessary or relevant...but bravo...major cool points for grotesque video
    i know i painted you a prettier picture, baby...my fiction beats the hell out of my truth

Frog Whisperer
    I'm thinking that at peak traffic times, there's a lot of cars and probably speeding. Getting across the traffic lanes or crossing the school driveway might be challenging. Also the school is backed by a train so kids coming from that direction would have to ride around the tracks and travel on Hwy 9 for a bit. The school is not in a densely populated area and I don't know how many kids would be walking or biking.

Note: it appears to be close to Skidmore College -- probably some prof kids attend that school. Dollars to doughnuts that the mom teaches at the college.
    They saving grace is that it is a middle school, at LEAST the kids aren't driving!!!!!!

I steer WAY clear of the high school at dismissal time.

donuts?
    Quote Originally Posted by ampastoral
    and exactly how is that necessary or relevant...but bravo...major cool points for grotesque video
    note that the person is in the cross walk - walking=dangerous and kids must be kept from all danger. if there was a curb protecting the ped, he would have never been hurt. ask the PTA, they'll tell you how curbs save lives!
    -Steve

Banned forever.....or not
    My old grade school has the same rule. The school was built in the 40's when there were few cars on the streets. Now, the street in front of the school is filled with SUV's driven by moms, dropping off their kids, and school buses). If the kids ride their bikes in the road, they'll get mowed down by all the SUV's (it's happened more than once). If the kids ride their bikes on the sidewalk, they'll mow down kids that are walking.
    What to do--what to do?

PS we all know how well mom driven SUV's drive, and I'm sure that we've all been brushed back by school buses.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Hermia commutes
    When I taught at a middle school in NYC some kids started rollerblading to and from school and it was decided that they could not. It was a parochial school, so independent jurisdiction, but the principal decided that it was too risky. The reason given had to do with insurance liability. Somehow we could be blamed if a kid got hurt on the way to or from? The dumb part was that we had no school busses. Kids walked, walked to the public bus, or got picked up. So we weren't in the business of protecting the kids from door to door, but somehow it was considered a liability if they rolled up. I think that admin didn't want to deal with rolling 12-yr-olds. dumb.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast