Moment Of Impact (WARNING GRAPHIC - SAD)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

https://www.whio.com/news/local/red-...tb6Iun82ewedM/

It appears that officer did not actively chase vehicle.

a real member's member
    damn. the bus tipped over. that's cra.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    damn. the bus tipped over. that's cray.
    Given the mass differential, that car must've flyin' to do that to the bus.

The car occupants never had a chance. Sad.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did Ė peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

Rub it............
    The kid was flying to hit that bus that hard.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    https://www.whio.com/news/local/red-...tb6Iun82ewedM/

It appears that officer did not actively chase vehicle.
    It's amazing that the driver survived.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Too bad the knucklehead driving the car didn't run into a wall instead of that bus. Fewer innocents would have been hurt.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    It's amazing that the driver survived.
    Ö reports outside of doctor/patient confidentiality suggests he will not survive, which may translate into a family's decision to terminate life support...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Driver had clear line of sight to his left and still powered on. Sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    It's full of factual errors. :nono:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    A group of teenagers in a car (especially boys) make a lot of bad decisions

RoadBikeReview Member
    Remember a thread I posted a while back on "invisibility"? I suspect the driver thought he was still being pursued and A: was checking the rear and B: only saw what he wanted to see.

The roads here were a decades old compromise. In order to finish a road project started in the fifties, 50MPH highway was constructed with level crossing city streets (which is one of the reasons for the traffic cam). I suspect that the driver knew this (you can barely see that he attempted braking waaay too late) but took his 18 year old brain shot. It's one of the areas we seem to fail.

While it's legal for an 18 year old to get a license and drive, this is also an area where you need to knock them off their snowflake pedestals and remind them of the finality of momentary stupid.

RoadBikeReview Member
    While it's legal for an 18 year old to get a license and drive, this is also an area where you need to knock them off their snowflake pedestals and remind them of the finality of momentary stupid.
    18 yr olds have always been making bad decisions, nothing new or snowflakey there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    It's full of factual errors. :nono:

RoadBikeReview Member
    18 yr olds have always been making bad decisions, nothing new or snowflakey there.
    No doubt, but when I was 18, an adult was free to hand me my ass. Today, parents take offense when "strangers" justifiably discipline their kids! When I was 18, the adult would then contact my parents for a second ass handing!

I don't wanna judge this individual, but tendencies are towards ignoring older or worse.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Youth, wasted on the young.
    Last edited by Eretz; 5 Days Ago at 08:37 PM.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Ricardo Cabeza

The brain isnít fully developed until the mid 20s. I generally never did anything high level stupid like that unless there were friends around. Those two seem to be the biggest factors.

Makes a good case for getting your kids into some kind of motor sports early, so they better understand the consequences in a more controlled environment.

Iíd rather have my kid pile head on into the spongy foam wall at the local indoor kart track when heís 8 than a tree or a bus when heís 18.

But Iíd be willing to bet the cop was more obtrusive than we have been lead to believe. The kid was clearly running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    But Iíd be willing to bet the cop was more obtrusive than we have been lead to believe. The kid was clearly running.

Absolutetly not. Per her department's policy, she activated lights to make the stop, but when the vehicle sped away, she IMMEDIATLY turned off her lights and was merely following (they don't chase if the only known offense is traffic violation) at quite a distance (cooborated by dash cam).

Driver died today.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Absolutetly not. Per her department's policy, she activated lights to make the stop, but when the vehicle sped away, she IMMEDIATLY turned off her lights and was merely following (they don't chase if the only known offense is traffic violation) at quite a distance (cooborated by dash cam).

Driver died today.
    It may have been enough to make the driver think he was being chased. And he was, briefly.

Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    It may have been enough to make the driver think he was being chased. And he was, briefly.

Are you saying that it's the cops fault?
    Too old to ride plastic

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Are you saying that it's the cops fault?
    cop's parents fault.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Ricardo Cabeza
    No. The cop's actions probably spooked the driver, but if what happened was anything close to what the cop claims, there is really no way she could have known that was going to happen.

However, there is the possibility that the cop's account is not accurate.

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    No. The cop's actions probably spooked the driver, but if what happened was anything close to what the cop claims, there is really no way she could have known that was going to happen.

However, there is the possibility that the cop's account is not accurate.
    I guess its always the cops fault?

In many states, including mine, teenagers get a provisional license. It restricts the hours that they can drive (no 11pm to 5am) and limits the number of passengers to 1 (to avoid the pack of teenagers in a car syndrome). Data shows that it works. I am sorry 3 kids lost their lives here but the blame solely rests with the person driving

Ricardo Cabeza
    I guess its always the cops fault?

In many states, including mine, teenagers get a provisional license. It restricts the hours that they can drive (no 11pm to 5am) and limits the number of passengers to 1 (to avoid the pack of teenagers in a car syndrome). Data shows that it works. I am sorry 3 kids lost their lives here but the blame solely rests with the person driving
    Like I said, not the copís fault - assuming the copís account is accurate.

Provisional license is a good idea, but Iím more in favor of a more extensive driver skills course. Sort of like the teen street survival courses offered by NASA and SCCA, but more extensive. Eventually put them in an HPDE.

SuperAndy's Garage

Seat's not level
    Last edited by Chain; 2 Days Ago at 05:10 AM.
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Provisional license is a good idea, but Iím more in favor of a more extensive driver skills course. Sort of like the teen street survival courses offered by NASA and SCCA, but more extensive. Eventually put them in an HPDE.

Certainly improved skills would help, but the problem with teen drivers is they make bad decisions. When you are 16,17,18 you believe you are invincible, know better than adults and ignore risks. Every teenager goes through this to some degree. Evading the cops and driving recklessly is not something that is solved by improved driving skills

Ricardo Cabeza

Certainly improved skills would help, but the problem with teen drivers is they make bad decisions. When you are 16,17,18 you believe you are invincible, know better than adults and ignore risks. Every teenager goes through this to some degree. Evading the cops and driving recklessly is not something that is solved by improved driving skills
    Probably the biggest factor in stupid teen driving mistakes is the presence of other teens. Following closely behind or maybe even in front now are distractions. Skills donít help with those things.

Not sure how you stop the distractions. Itís difficult enough for adults.

But I will say that participation in some kind of motor sports not only builds driving skills but also a respect for what can happen when things go wrong. Even a 16 year old has a different perspective on driving fast on public roads if theyíve spun off some sort of course a few times.

Last edited by Andy69; 2 Days Ago at 06:21 AM.

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Again, raw dash cam footage bears out the cop's report. I don't know what was on her mind at that moment but it is striking how quickly she flipped her lights on, then off... about as quick as humanly possible. Perhaps there had been some reminder of policy in that day's briefing... perhaps she'd had previous experience.

I would also note that her decision not to pursue does not mean that she did not send in a radio report. The incident occurred about 1/2 half mile from police HQ and it's likely the driver knew this. As indicated in subsequent video, multiple units converged within a minute of the crash.

Probably the biggest factor in stupid teen driving mistakes is the presence of other teens.
    Without surviving witnesses we will never know for sure, but people are not that complicated. We act and react within relatively limited parameters. Peers in a car do indeed amplify stupid. In this case, it could be argued that the "distraction" was laser like, peer supported focus on his rear view mirror.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast