Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    As for believing in God,
    Pretty much all religions include something about.... man was created in the image of god. And of course god is all powerful and created/can do virtually anything/everything.

Just to get everyone (focus species) on board with the whole baloney.

My question then is.... why does god have feet? ... or other body parts dependant on who is within earshot.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Pretty much all religions include something about.... man was created in the image of god. And of course god is all powerful and created/can do virtually anything/everything.

Just to get everyone (focus species) on board with the whole baloney.

My question then is.... why does god have feet? ... or other body parts dependant on who is within earshot.
    So he can hang a boot in your ass.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Another theory is the origin of human is not native earth. According to the gene research, there was a sudden change in chromosome and big jump in intelligence level when human existence began.
    I always believed that was due to someone once eating some meat that had been cooked in a wild fire and realizing that cooked food was yummy and easier to digest. With the knowledge and tools for making fire, thumbs and the corresponding sudden increase in protein and nutrition human beings developed in sudden leaps and bounds. Aliens my arse. But I don't believe in them.
    My old boss walked around, pretty much every time he was outside, staring at the night sky looking for UFOs. He saw them every couple of years. He believed in aliens.

El Scorcho is on point I think.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    I always believed that was due to someone once eating some meat that had been cooked in a wild fire and realizing that cooked food was yummy and easier to digest. With the knowledge and tools for making fire, thumbs and the corresponding sudden increase in protein and nutrition human beings developed in sudden leaps and bounds. Aliens my arse. But I don't believe in them.
    My old boss walked around, pretty much every time he was outside, staring at the night sky looking for UFOs. He saw them every couple of years. He believed in aliens.

El Scorcho is on point I think.
    If there have been aliens near enough to earth to have been seen, with all of the equipment that we have pointed at the skies looking for signs of life, why hasn't anything that resembles radio transmissions been picked up?
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    If there have been aliens near enough to earth to have been seen, with all of the equipment that we have pointed at the skies looking for signs of life, why hasn't anything that resembles radio transmissions been picked up?
    Maybe this is it?
    https://news.sky.com/story/seti-scie...rithm-11495075

Unless its possible to exceed the speed of light, the chances of ever encountering any alien race seems unlikely.

Hi
    May 2010
    So he can hang a boot in your ass.
    You mean she.. or it?

xxl
    Where ya been, dude?

https://www.sciencealert.com/mysteri...ide-our-galaxy
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Edit: If your answer was "time-traveling to thirty-nine minutes before you posted, reading DaveG's post," I understand. Warping the fabric of the space-time continuum can be exhausting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yikes.

Maybe a discovery of this magnitude is all we need to bring all of Humanity into one cohesive group, accepting and loving one another despite our differences.

You know, since we may now have another, not of this world, alien to worry about.
    Too old to ride plastic

xxl
    Yikes.

Maybe a discovery of this magnitude is all we need to bring all of Humanity into one cohesive group, accepting and loving one another despite our differences.

You know, since we may now have another, not of this world, alien to worry about.
    On the other hand, they may have an upside:

RoadBikeReview Member
    On the other hand, they may have an upside:

Yeah, but

Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Let's use ourselves as an example.

We've been emitting "intelligent" EM signals for a shade over 100 years before, somewhat suddenly, the frequencies changed (yes, there are still tons of analog signals but they are diminishing) or stopped altogether.

An extraterrestrial observer would have had to scan our particular slice of the universe during that period of time and recognized them. Imagine their surprise when the signals stopped?

From our vantage point, perhaps something similar. What if we turned our telescopes at a point in the sky just as some other civilization found a more efficient form of communication and switched or... blew themselves up?

We've been looking for a relatively short time and we ourselves have already changed how we communicate. Our modern digital devices cannot communicate directly with analog devices from 10 years ago (I still use a VCR with jerry-rigged connections to digital for conversion and storage of old tapes).

While I believe that life in the Universe is as inevitable as it was here, I'm unsure of intelligence. Intelligent enuff to talk to us and be on the same page at the same time and be able to scan the right part of all space is daunting but not impossible.... but unlikely.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Heaven is calling, pick up the phone!
    BANNED

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    Let's use ourselves as an example.

We've been emitting "intelligent" EM signals for a shade over 100 years before, somewhat suddenly, the frequencies changed (yes, there are still tons of analog signals but they are diminishing) or stopped altogether.

An extraterrestrial observer would have had to scan our particular slice of the universe during that period of time and recognized them. Imagine their surprise when the signals stopped?

From our vantage point, perhaps something similar. What if we turned our telescopes at a point in the sky just as some other civilization found a more efficient form of communication and switched or... blew themselves up?

We've been looking for a relatively short time and we ourselves have already changed how we communicate. Our modern digital devices cannot communicate directly with analog devices from 10 years ago (I still use a VCR with jerry-rigged connections to digital for conversion and storage of old tapes).

While I believe that life in the Universe is as inevitable as it was here, I'm unsure of intelligence. Intelligent enuff to talk to us and be on the same page at the same time and be able to scan the right part of all space is daunting but not impossible.... but unlikely.
    These guys see your point...

RoadBikeReview Member
    These guys see your point...

Missi Pyle is HOTT.

She must have walked in a ditch during filming as I believe she is kinda tall.. Shalhoub not so much.

RoadBikeReview Member

Glenn was atop a man rated but still notoriously unreliable liquid fueled Atlas

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    I always believed that was due to someone once eating some meat that had been cooked in a wild fire and realizing that cooked food was yummy and easier to digest.
    Well, other animals would have had a chance to try the naturally roasted flesh too if humans had an access to it. Wait, did I just say humans, meaning that we already were humans by that time? Name:  Emoticon-Think.gif
Views: 30
Size:  2.2 KB

Aliens my arse. But I don't believe in them.
    OK, fine. Lets say an external influence, be it comets or star dust falling to earth after earth has been cooled from molten rock and iron to a point of having water, land and oxygen. It's plausible, no?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I don't know if there are any Trekkies or Star Trek fans here but there is a segment in the movie Star Trek: First Contact (1996) where the visitors landed after sensing the warp signature, indicating that this (earth) civilization is advanced enough to engage. IOW, we are not worthy, yet. https://media.giphy.com/media/iiS84hOJXh1Pq/giphy.gif

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Or maybe they are waiting until we do on our own. Till then, we are not worthy...

RoadBikeReview Member
    ... the price of living forever (or 1 billion years)

Frog Whisperer
    I will refer back to the original post and respectfully disagree.

I do not necessarily agree that we are smart apes. I don't disagree that we are apes, but my definition of smart would preclude an awful lot of self destructive human behavior that is quite common and far to diverse to even begin to list
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Frog Whisperer
    Monkeys vs Aliens

where the hell did you find that video....AND HOW???????
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    I will refer back to the original post and respectfully disagree.

I do not necessarily agree that we are smart apes. I don't disagree that we are apes, but my definition of smart would preclude an awful lot of self destructive human behavior that is quite common and far to diverse to even begin to list
    IOW, we are smart a$$ apes.

RoadBikeReview Member

time's arrow

RoadBikeReview Member

Still seem to be doing well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12